Lab Sub wall thickness question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

No, you'll have to redesign the entire horn to preserve its per unit area expansion.

That said, I've never paid much attention to this horn, but I re-calc'd a sim of a similar bulk horn and the minor increase in CR and reduced cab Vb, mouth area simmed a barely measurable and completely inaudible difference, so if I were in your situation I'd center the internal baffles to split the difference, but as always YMMV, caveat emptor, etc..

Might want to ask here just to be sure though if it's a prosound app: http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/forum/category-view.asp

GM

Greets GM
http://www.geocities.com/hulkss/page3.html has the cad files in a Model Press Myriad format, but the free Myriad reader wont let you change the dimms.
I may just go with your sugestion

Hey Brett, I can get 18mm ply, in a low quality pine. Still not the 19.05mm high quality material thickness used in the plans. I thought about using a thicker ply to compensate for the inferior material. do you have/build the lab sub? Do you play bass thru it? What do you use for tops? What amps and what do you cross the lab sub over @? What wood did you make it from?

toshiba_nz said:
Hey Brett, I can get 18mm ply, in a low quality pine. Still not the 19.05mm high quality material thickness used in the plans. I thought about using a thicker ply to compensate for the inferior material. do you have/build the lab sub? Do you play bass thru it? What do you use for tops? What amps and what do you cross the lab sub over @? What wood did you make it from?
I made mine from an 18mm set of plans. I may still have a copy here somewhere.

Also, if this is for domestic use, some of the Tapped horn designs are fantastic.
I'm going to use Don Bunce's LAB12 design (as I have 4 NIB drivers spare), and then there's Erik (Volvotreter's) 3015LF based design, post 666 in the TH thread. MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier build. Hint: try these first; easier to mod to the wood you have available.

Hi Brett,

Don Bunce's says he prefers the Lab12 folded TH, but he only gives plans for the straight TH with few details on the construction of the folded version.
He mentions something about cutting the straight one in half, and gluing/screwing it to the side of the other one...
Do you have these plans, or can you get them? Cheers

toshiba_nz said:
Hi Samuel.. my living room. Its pretty small 4m x 5m. I want to try the version 3 Lab sub. I also had in mind to incorperate them into some bass guitar rig
I wouldn't bother with a LAB for a BG rig. Doesn't go low enough in single units, is too big and heavy. A single Eminence 3015LF in 120L will give more than adequate SPL and LF extension. Add something else above it if you like full range. Anything more than this and you sould be through the PA.

toshiba_nz said:
Hi Brett,

Don Bunce's says he prefers the Lab12 folded TH, but he only gives plans for the straight TH with few details on the construction of the folded version.
He mentions something about cutting the straight one in half, and gluing/screwing it to the side of the other one...
Do you have these plans, or can you get them? Cheers
No. Tall and skinny works best for my room.

Through further listening tests I decided the difference in sound was due to room placement,rather than folding.I would suggest building it straight,unless the folded size is more suitable.

I had drawn up a crude plan,but never got a chance to make a better one with dimensions.

Here is the original plan,there are a total of 10 pieces,4 internal,and the remaining 6 are the top,bottom,sides,and front and back.You will need to add some bracing.It is not exactly to scale,the internal pieces should go up to about 8 inches from the top. The dimensions are the same as for the straight horn.Plans for it are at post # 176 of the collaborative tapped horn project in the subwoofer forum.

This folding scheme was based on the Jensen Transflex,and should be usable for any other tapped horn design,as well.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3615/foldedtappedhorndw2.jpg

toshiba_nz said:
Thanks Brett and Don. I think I'll give the straight TH a go. I kinda wanted the response to extend out (up) as long as possable if it dosnt sound too crappy...What should I be thinking of crossing them over at?
I'm personally going to start at 60Hz LR24. The KHorns will go that low and so will the big WMTMW's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.