Krell KSA5

I built new version of the KSA-5 power supply with 13v zener reference as shown in BOM, and output is regulated to 23,5V , perhaps too high for OP27 servo op-amp.With schematic value of12V reg. voltage is 21.5V as in the manufactured Krell amp. Why zener voltage was changed? Why zener current is set to about 19ma with CCS? I made all the PCB-s myself( 680 holes!) and I am matching current mirror transistors at the moment.

I have not yet decided which transistors to use- MPSA 06/56 or BC 546B/556B.
There are versions with both. KSA5 power supply is very usable for other projects. The same PS was delivered with Krell KPE reference phono stage.

Attachments

• ksa-5.jpg
    ksa-5.jpg
    605.8 KB · Views: 1,250
  • _DSC0390.jpg
    _DSC0390.jpg
    855.9 KB · Views: 1,218
After prolonged listening I think that it is better headphone amp than my Borbely all-fet single ended headamp. It has the perfect grip on the headphone driver which result in explosive dynamic.
Bogdan Borko, could you elaborate more why do you think it is a mediocre discrete- op-amp? Have you designed a better one? J-Fet input, current mirrors,high current driver stage, and classA output stage of 5W in 8 Ohm.What more to expect ?