Krell KSA 50 PCB

Hi Jan and all-

I can have some boards made and ship them out to everyone if they are interested.

As everything I do on this site it will be at cost with any profit made going to the site. I will make an exception in this case so I can send Jan free boards for all his work on this project. So expect a .50 - $1.50 increase over cost per board (depending on the # ordered) to cover his boards.

Can I get a list of people interested and the amount requested for price estimates?

Troy = 6 (3 for me and 3 for a friend)

Please note this is BOARDS ONLY.

Thanks jan for his great job, and RABSTQ, for the group buy, i am good for 6 (mono) boards.

As a relativ newbey, can anyone tell me about:

- what is the quiest current for this amp?
- what R105 (5k pot) is for? Is it for (quiest current? of offset DC?)
- what is low bias ane normal bias?

Thanks

rabstg said:
Hi Jan and all-

I can have some boards made and ship them out to everyone if they are interested.

As everything I do on this site it will be at cost with any profit made going to the site. I will make an exception in this case so I can send Jan free boards for all his work on this project. So expect a .50 - $1.50 increase over cost per board (depending on the # ordered) to cover his boards.

Can I get a list of people interested and the amount requested for price estimates?

Troy = 6 (3 for me and 3 for a friend)

Please note this is BOARDS ONLY.

Troy,
Thanks for stepping up. I had thought of volunteering myself, but it would be my first stab at getting boards built.
Put me in for eight boards also, I want to give a couple away.

George

Thanks Jan for all your work, this thread has been alot of fun to watch develop. Please put me down for 4 of the boards.

On another note what power transformer would you all reccomend for this project. Assume it will be dual mono. Does anyone know the ratings of the original KSA 50's transformers?

Also, will the output transistors need to be closley matched so they share the load and current draw equally?

Thanks!

Mark

more outputs

is generally a good idea, but though each transistor does less work, it may make the amp sound different because each transistor is in a different part of it's transfer curve. Plus it doesn't really increase the output much, basically because your idle current will be the same, to increase the idle current needs bigger heatsinks...hey, wait I;ve had this conversation before...;^)

To answer you question about toroids, somewhere between big and really huge should be adequate, minimum about 30-0-30, 5amp for one channel, minimum, add 50%, ie 7.5amp for a manly amp, or 10a for a real Krell clone...per channel...

If you can lift it one handed it isn't big enough...

Stuart

Re: more outputs

Stuart Easson said:
is generally a good idea, but though each transistor does less work, it may make the amp sound different because each transistor is in a different part of it's transfer curve. Plus it doesn't really increase the output much, basically because your idle current will be the same, to increase the idle current needs bigger heatsinks...hey, wait I;ve had this conversation before...;^)

To answer you question about toroids, somewhere between big and really huge should be adequate, minimum about 30-0-30, 5amp for one channel, minimum, add 50%, ie 7.5amp for a manly amp, or 10a for a real Krell clone...per channel...

If you can lift it one handed it isn't big enough...

Stuart

haha Stuart, yes, i hear the cry's of similarity :)
Ok, so i'm sticking with 4 outputs by the look of it :) I don't mind, i've got something like 100 output transistors coming to me as we speak, so no worries :) Plenty of spares!

To give you an idea - i am not wanting a 30-0-30 only because i'd prefer 45-50 - not sure why but it's a preconceived idea that i've got, of course, if 2 people can lift it (there will be 4 of these amps in one case)... then it may still need to be heavier :)
So basically - if i had say 45v (appears to be a "safe" voltage 50v seems like more heat (less is MUCH better!!!)) 10amp torroid per side - i'd really need 1kva per channel - is that correct? :)
Thanks for the help Stuart!!!
Aaron