Krell KSA 50 PCB

hi Jacco and drstrangelove3 -and of course everybody here who finds this interesting-

fan-orientation: Jacco, the page from Imaclean refers to a ksa-100. Thats not my amp. in post 14 and 15 of this thread theres a picture of a ksa-50 (with a layout that differs from mine) and of a ksa-100.they both have the same orientation as my ksa-50.
They're both not my amp either :)
The only amp that looks like mine is the one i saw in the wiki -this one blows upward-
Since there are some if's and then's here and i'm used to it firing downwards i think i'll keep it this way.
btw: glad i could help you with those drivers- if u want more info let me know-
railvoltage:drstrangelove3 (btw, greetings to you from windy Ljouwert ): ive seen several voltages mentioned here - i've got an actual amp here that measures between 47.5 and 48.5 volts depending on source AC-voltage.i think its highly unlikely that someone gutted:bawling: a ksa-100 and put the toroids in a ksa-50 the ksa-50 pictures in the wiki show capacitors of 75 volts; (mine are too) at 47.... volts this is overdimensioned already,but at 37.... volts? id call it insane

bias: unless you are driving insane loads(apogee..?) you dont need insane bias

klaas

Hi Kvh,
could you post another pic of the top of the heatsink with the fan on top.?
I want to see the blades and particularly the curvature of the blade/s. Please indicate the direction of rotation and confirm the air is blowing upwards.

When I see the pic more clearly I'll explain. This is one occasion (quite rare) when I'm not jumping into that big hole that I'm getting quite good at digging for myself.

ryssen said:

I don´t own a scope,is there any other voltages i can check on main/driver board before connecting outputbord?

Yes, all the DC voltages on the driver board can be checked without hooking up the output stage, these are all listed on the wiki krell build guide.

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
If his is sucking the air upwards through the hot sink itself thats a very bad idea and will lead to much shorter fan life... IE: The bearings lube will dry out much faster than if it were blowing downwards. I see this happen all the time in Cinema equipment....

Mark

OOOOpsie, i've got a long tunnel (maybe 10 inches) with a bottom fan blowing up and a top fan also blowing up? How long before my top fan fails? Is there any maintenence that can be done, like adding grease/lube or WD-40 or something?

Its been working for months without a hiccup. Actually while the heat sinks are very hot, the airflow is warm rather than hot.

A bit late perhaps but what did you guys come up with in regards to orientation of the fan?

I would place the fan under the sink and have it suck cool air from underneath and force it upwards since hot air rises.

However, A topmounted fan that blows downward would have a greater airmass to work with.

So much to think about :cannotbe: