Krell KSA 100mkII Clone

As i've mentioned about half a year ago, it'll a pleasure to redistribute the CRD's for the entire Euro zone (which i think includes limy land) but i'm as much in the twilight zone as most KSA100 board owners.

There should be something like 60 or more CRDs on the list for the Euros.
I receive an email question about the CRDs once every two weeks on average.

Re: UK GB

barryblue said:
Hi,
Is theye enough interest in the UK (or within low cost postage range) to put togther a GB for the transformer and the heatsinks?

Hi Barry

If the interests for buying the original Avel/Krell KSA 100 mk-II transformers will growing further, I can organize the GB for us. But so far there have only been an interests for a 6 pcs buy (Mark: 2 pcs myself: 4 pcs)

Info regarding Avel/Krell x-former:
post #
1355 (prices)
1362 (mains voltage9
1367 (Aux. winding for regulated power supply)
1369 (core used)
1373:D

regards :cool:

The Wiki has all the info you need: http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=Add+your+names+join+the+group+buy

If you want to have your own boards made, there's a small revision of the layout, but it's only minor routing and placement changes.

All the components are easily available except for the current regulator diodes which can be ordered from Mouser in the USA. Also note that the schematics doesn't show the actual values that Krell used for Q9-Q12, they should be 2SA968 and 2SC2238, but the MJE's will also work fine. the 2S devices are the preferred choice though.

Sprague Powerlytics for sale

Hello DiY members. I was going to list some of my spare capacitors at eBay. But suddenly it came to my mind the possibility that maybe someone at the forum might be interested to buy Capacitors for your Krell Clone project ?

This is what I can offer you
High Ripple, Computer Grade, Screw Terminal, SPRAGUE POWERLYTIC, Electrolytic Capacitor, a pair (2 each), including two mounting brackets so you easily could mount them at your chassis. This Capacitor is designed to be used in High Current Amplifiers (Class-A), or High Current Power Supplies (SMPS)
It is NOS, never used. These where custom made.

Rating:
*60 Volts
*50,000 uF
Surge:
*75V
Ripple Current:
*>27Amps (@ 95°C, 120Hz)
Max ESR, 120Hz
* 6.5mΩ (25°C)
Date Code:
*2002/17
Tolerance:
*-10%+50% or better
Temperature Rating:
*-40C +95C
Physical Size:
*3" (76-77mm)Diameter
*4.125"(105mm) HeIght
Terminals:
* Screw mount, 1/4" x 28
Price:
*$ 31.50 each, a pair $ 63.00 (the price include the mounting brackets)

This capacitor would bee excellent for use in high power Class-A amps type Zen, Leach "Superamp", Aleph, Pass A-75, Krell KSA 50 mk-II clone, Krell KSA 100 mk-II clone, and similar up to 200W of power outputs @ ±58V (60V maximum) power rails.

Freight costs, worldwide shipping (for a pair), in Norway: (smartPost) $18.00, to Europe: $28.50 (letter-economy), $33.00 (letter-priority), $40 (parcel post-insured), to rest of the World: $36.20 (letter-economy), $48.20 (letter-priority), $60 (parcel post-insured).

This is the actual capacitor for sale:

Attachments

• sprague 1.jpg
    sprague 1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 989
Just to let everyone on the diode and board GB that has not received theirs yet.... DIY member Bob Groger has offered to help me with this situation and finish all the mailings. I will be sending him all the stuff as soon as I'm back in town next week.... I just don't see any let up on work for quite a while and am grateful to him for the offer of assistance....

MarkLive in Worland, Wyoming a the moment....

Hi,
At this point in time I am undecided as to which output transistors to use.

The MJ21193/4 -TO3 (Pd=250W) 4 pairs, which are very rugged and can take the abuse from a 100W class A amp and would not be fussy with long wiring or the MJL3281/1302 (Pd=200W) 6 pais, which are fast and would be the better “sonic” choice.

A third alternative would be to use 8 pairs of 2SC5200/2SA1943 (Pd=150W) per channel as these are regarded as one of the best audio transistors. These I already have as I was going to use them in the KSA50 project which is on hold.

Your advice will be appreciated.
Regards
Harry

AndrewT

Andrew

As suggested before- please post some images so that the experts can see what you have done?

With the delays in board & scarce parts deliveries, postings of boards not working this project thread is at risk of slowly dying. Compared to the 50 project we all seem to be loosing steam.

This is an expensive project and we need to get a an amp fully operational with a clear indication of how it sounds.

Jozua

Hi Jozua,
that three week delay was my attempt at trying to work around a method to get pics from my digital camera into my desktop, total failure.

My Desktop talks to the internet via USB, but seems incapable of seeing any other USB device, not memory stick, not XD card reader, not USB to another computer.
I even bought a new Laptop, but that would not connect to the broadband ethernet connection and the helpline did not offer any support for the USB link. It has gone back to the retailer.
I now have a DVD read/write drive in the desktop. I will try downloading my pics to school desktop and writing them to CD, then try that method of getting them onto the Forum.

Sorry to all readers for being off topic. But, just maybe someone can see a solution that I don't know about.

Re: More pictures

loek said:
Hi Flodstroem, it would be nice to see a full body picture here of your stuffed board maybe?
Greetings, Loek

Hi Loek.
Yes I will post pictures, but Im wandering, is it possible to post more than one (1) picture in the same post? As can seen, I havnt manage to post more than one picture for each post!!?? How to upload more than one picture, I dont know, somebody know?

Andrew, to bad I dont work on PC (have a Mac) otherwise I could helped you with that issue.
(I shouldnt ask you about softwares for your camera and if it is properly installed at your laptop, but I have a friend who is skilled to that sort of work......I could ask him)

Regards :cool: