Krell KSA 100 type amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Krell scematics.

webercarbmann said:
Hi again

The scematics i have are not werry good. I will have to make a better version using protel. By the way, i also have a scematics for a PAM 3 preamp. I will try to post them in a near future. Please be patient. Would some of you be interested in some KMA 100 PCB`s ??

Peter;)

How is your work progressing ? Any chanse that you could post the schematics of KMA-100 and PAM-3.

///CF

are you sure...

I'm keen to see the KMA-100 schematics. I have some concerns about the KSA-100 schematic posted on page 2 by hifi in that my prior information about the KSA-50 seems to be at odds with this schematic. Specifically, Dan d'Ag said in an interview that the KSA-50 was designed to work with very little negative feedback (14dB or so?). The input Z of Krell amps is usually >50k. The KSA-100 schematic shows a high feedback (like op-amp) circuit with about 23k input Z. There are some other things in the circuit that seem a little unlikely to me too :xeye:. I would like to see the KMA version to confirm the design.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have it on good authority that the front end circuits were
virtually identical. Open loop at mid-band would give more
than 14 dB feedback, but at some arbitrarily high frequency
this figure would be achieved.

It is commonly believed that the KSA50 was the better
sounding of the two.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Listen to a Krell KSA 100

I have been to a party and listen to a Krell KSA 100 Ok! I admitt just amazing, what is the magic solution I can't wait to the wizard is here, so... I opened the sh.t and what was I found just an ordinary circuit as posted here before.

But I started to think, if this is the final solution and this is the SOTA power amp but... how about the Pass power amps what are they? the second SOTA or... I will try to search for more obscure schematics simulate them into the Pspice or equivalent software and build them just to know.:)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Perhaps the KSA100 magic ...

... is equal parts of:

1: competent, class-A, but otherwise standard circuit design, (emphasis on class-A) and
2: finely crafted metalwork and internal build quality.

Somehow I think even the most coldly analytical listeners experience an audio placebo effect, when they know the music they are listening to comes from beautifully built equipment.

Re: Perhaps the KSA100 magic ...

mirlo said:

Somehow I think even the most coldly analytical listeners experience an audio placebo effect, when they know the music they are listening to comes from beautifully built equipment.

Sometimes it is, but not always. It all depends on the state of (your) mind and the people you listen with. I remember the last session I was attending. In the beginning it was all confusion (what the heck he's trying to impress us with?). But after an hour of tweaking I finally got to the point I felt comfortable with, and the equipment spoke for itself.
I have nothing else to say.;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
KSA

Maybe just too much, but I was not deaf, I always think of my buddy's HiFi and an amplifier he used, it was a Hafler a rather big heavy power amp used to drive a small electrostatic system it never sounded good lack of bass and no drive at all.

When he bought this KSA power amp I thought that it would not makes things to happen but... it did lot of drive lot of bass he had to get rid of his subwoofer system.

I can't explain what happens to this small electrostatic loudspeakers from Audiostatic but the Hafler amp could not drive them, so this oldie must be a very good amplifier even today maybe it is the very large classic power supply that makes it I don't know.
:eek:

What I want to know is why Naim users deride Krell for sounding lifeless/rhythmless and Krell users say Naim lacks soundstage, depth and resolution?

What is it about the two design approaches that causes this polarisation of views? Does anyone here agree/diagree with these views?

Re: In my opinion the KSA 100 is the best DIY

leffe said:
Hi,

If you have to build a power amp I think that the Krell still is the best, sound versus cost, its sound is just great much power in the low and a relaxed sound from mid and up.

Just clone it ! I think that will be a easy thing to do with all references we have from all kind of crap power amps kit or ready built from all kind of people who earned a lot of money showing the next best constructions the past 25 years.

I disagree. The only wise thing in KSA100 circuit is the use of right transistors in right quantity in respect to the power rating and the high bias current. The rest looks like any opamp-like SS circuit of commercial area repeating the same blames.
The global NFB loop with an electrolytic capacitor in the divider circuit first comes to mind. Next, that stupid complementary differential input stage.
Just take a standard PA amp with good heatsinks and the same power transistors, rewind the mains transformer to lower secondary voltage, disable the now unnecessary protection circuit and increase the idle current. A Krell is born!

There are much more refined and simpler ss circuits, some of them are much older than 25 years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.