Krank circuits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Krank Rev Jr Std.

Hi Folks, returned to inicial theme, Krank ...
I have a Kran Rev Jr Std, this is a small distortion beast machine, 20W 2x 5881 power tubes & 3 x 12AX7 pre, active loop. I use this to studio and pratice gear. I do not have schematics, but i have a lot of photos of the internal circuit, any interesting by there ..?
Regards,
Carlos.

2 5881s (6L6's) and it is only 20 watts? Are you sure it isn't 50 watts? Usually amps with 2 5881s are 50 watts. I have seen a couple that were 40 watts. A Fender Twin Reverb has 4 of them and it is 120 watts. Those are the loudest (sounding) guitar amps I have ever heard in my entire life. Heavy mothertruckers too. I would like to see the photos. I am just curious how they make it only 20 watts and I am wondering why too. If all you want is 20 watts why not use one 5881 single ended? I don't know if class A would be better in a guitar amp or not because I have never played through a class A guitar amp. Crossover distortion might be desirable in a guitar amp but I just do not know. I heard a sound clip on a computer of a class A guitar amp but there is no way I could tell unless I was in the same room with it. Orange makes a class A 30 watt amp and Marshall recently came out with a class A amp that is about 30 watts or so and that's the one I heard the clip of.

Last edited:
Yes, 20 Watts

Hi peckerwood, Yes, I am sure about that, there are 2 versions of Krank Junior, the Rev Jr is a small version of the Krank Revolution 100W head, and the Krankenstein Jr of his big brother Krankenstein 100W head. Both Jr also come in 2 power versions, 20W and 50W(special order). Both use 2 Sovtek 5881WGC A/B push pull topology.

The 20W version lets you play at lower output levels but retains all the tone and saturation of the 50W &100W versions. This is great as a practice amp and recording studio.

For more information visit www.krankamps.com
Regards,
Carlos.

I have never played through a Krank amp but they must be pretty good. I know that Darrell Abbott always was mister solid state. He always used solid state amps only. But shortly before he was killed he started using Krank tube amps only.

It is weird though because those are 25 or 23 watt tubes depending on the exact type and you would think they would want to drive them hard in a guitar amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.