• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Kofi Annan in: "Kofi's Baby Huey"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure I understand the two supplies, or the voltage doubler. A single Hammond 270HX with a CLC supply and a choke (Hammond 159S) will be easier, and better, and probably cheaper too -- you can buy the pair for under $100.

Like this?:

Attachments

• Babby Huey PSU.PNG
    Babby Huey PSU.PNG
    48.9 KB · Views: 405
drop the first cap, it will lower the B+

Yes. Set the reporting delay for ~10 seconds. Then, set the simulation time for ~30ms. This will give you a good look at both the amount of ripple, and the shape of the ripple.

If you drop the first cap low enough, the ripple on it allows the inductor to store energy and deliver it at a lower voltage to the second cap. It starts looking like a buck converter instead of just an LC filter.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing!

How's it looking?

Attachments

• Baby Huey PSU2.PNG
    Baby Huey PSU2.PNG
    124.4 KB · Views: 397
Kofi: A Hammond 270HX based supply would be full wave center tapped; you can change the bridge rectification in PSUD to full wave CT to reflect this. One difference between the two is that you need 2X voltage rated diodes in the FWCT config compared to bridge rectification.

Add V/1386L to your nominal current rating for the choke current rating to allow for ripple current if you are going to use a choke. (V is transformer secondary voltage & L is choke L).

I also used 1200V 8A Fairchild stealth diodes bypassed by 10nf 2Kv caps and a pair of Hammond 270EX transformers in my BH monos (orig schema).

that is almost no ripple. for a push pull that is completely insignificant

a nice film for the first and a nice heacy duty cap for the second and you will be ok.

If we need to go film for the first cap, I can only consider Solen 630V PPEs. For the second, I was going to grab a regular old electrolytic and go with that.

Why does a film cap make a difference as the first cap? I always thought the last cap was the one you "heard".

Kofi

Kofi: A Hammond 270HX based supply would be full wave center tapped; you can change the bridge rectification in PSUD to full wave CT to reflect this. One difference between the two is that you need 2X voltage rated diodes in the FWCT config compared to bridge rectification.

Add V/1386L to your nominal current rating for the choke current rating to allow for ripple current if you are going to use a choke. (V is transformer secondary voltage & L is choke L).

I also used 1200V 8A Fairchild stealth diodes bypassed by 10nf 2Kv caps and a pair of Hammond 270EX transformers in my BH monos (orig schema).

Got it... so this is really what should be happening?

Also-- not sure I understand about the calculation... You're saying that I should add 275V / (1386*5H) = .04A or 40mA to the choke rating?

Kofi

Attachments

• Baby Huey PSU3.PNG
    Baby Huey PSU3.PNG
    117.2 KB · Views: 432
Like maybe a pair of these in series to make an 800V / 240uF cap?

Digi-Key - P6844-ND (Manufacturer - ECO-S2GA121BA)

You may be better served by a single 450V 220u or 330u Pana TS-HB cap. Half the cost, half the ESR, half the space. The TS-HA's max out at 400V, the TS-HBs max out at 450V, and the TS-UPs max out at 500V at Digi-Key. The TS-HA datasheet shows 450V TS-HA's but Digi-Key doesn't sell them. One downside of the TS-UPs is that they are rated at 85deg C instead of 105 deg C.

Which reminds me.......Steve at ApexJr has 450V 390u TS-HA's for $2.50 each presently.

Also-- not sure I understand about the calculation... You're saying that I should add 275V / (1386*5H) = .04A or 40mA to the choke rating?

Kofi

A resistor after your final supply cap is the last thing you want in a power supply. You want the power supply to be low impedance. So size the input cap differently, drop some voltage with a tube rectifier, use a resistor on the input (my least favorite choice), or add a cap after the resistor. You can split the supply at this point, if you worry about channel separation, and use one resistor and cap for each channel.

BTW, single supplies for me. I've never heard an improvement with dual mono supplies. Better to spend your money on one good supply. Channel separation is not that important. The very best phono cartridges get only 30dB (and then only over a limited range). If you want a more complex supply, then make a separate supply for the front end.

Sheldon

Kofi

Yes, add that to the nominal current draw to size the choke for nominal current draw plus the ripple current. That formula is right out of MJ 3rd ed. for 60hz mains. Also note that the max current requirement is lower with larger L values, since L is in the denominator.

If the choke is undersized for current, you'll lose inductance when the current rating is exceeded.

A resistor after your final supply cap is the last thing you want in a power supply. You want the power supply to be low impedance. So size the input cap differently, drop some voltage with a tube rectifier, use a resistor on the input (my least favorite choice), or add a cap after the resistor. You can split the supply at this point, if you worry about channel separation, and use one resistor and cap for each channel.

BTW, single supplies for me. I've never heard an improvement with dual mono supplies. Better to spend your money on one good supply. Channel separation is not that important. The very best phono cartridges get only 30dB (and then only over a limited range). If you want a more complex supply, then make a separate supply for the front end.

Sheldon

Got it. Looks like its one supply. Thanks for the explanation. This makes sense to me.

Two of those in series will be 60uF at 800v. Capacitors in series reduce the total value, in parallel they add.

Well of course you're right and I'm dumb and wrong. Get used to that relationship.

Yes, add that to the nominal current draw to size the choke for nominal current draw plus the ripple current. That formula is right out of MJ 3rd ed. for 60hz mains. Also note that the max current requirement is lower with larger L values, since L is in the denominator.

If the choke is undersized for current, you'll lose inductance when the current rating is exceeded.

Got it. I'll redo the supply and post.

And now... beer.

Kofi

If you have the space, it may be worth considering an oil filled motor run capacitor as the last cap. Low esr and low cost ones to be found on epay. Also look cool on the top of the chassis for your friend.

Added motor run cap and re-drew chassis. Any issues with the layout?

Kofi

Attachments

• Baby Huey (Single Supply) - Angle Top.png
    Baby Huey (Single Supply) - Angle Top.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 357
  • Baby Huey (Single Supply) - Top.png
    Baby Huey (Single Supply) - Top.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 358
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.