Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch Speakers

We are getting closer...
Keystone%20mb1.png~original

Also if you happen to be around NE Ohio this time of year you might check out the Yuri's night party at the Great Lakes Science Center if they continue to put them on.
2015-04-11%2022.52.23.jpg~original

Last edited:
I haven't tried the "V" with the Keystone, but when I tried to "V" my tapped horns in the past, it was like facing them into a corner -- it just doesn't work like FLHs. And like facing them into a corner, I felt there was less output from doing so. As we know, THs are very directional -- I'm assuming this has much to do with it.

When we're into the discussion of TH vs FLH, does the same principle with a single mono stack of <100 hz bins apply to TH's as well? will there be cancellations and weird phase issues if you stack two Keystones in a non-mono(one under a top for example) setup on a small/medium sized stage, which is at the end of the day, a big part of the gigs we usually see our subs working in the DIY community.

I think the directivity of the TH's might make them work a little better for the stereo bassbin setup, but I've never used them in a live situation so I don't know how they behave.

1)When we're into the discussion of TH vs FLH, does the same principle with a single mono stack of <100 hz bins apply to TH's as well?
2)will there be cancellations and weird phase issues if you stack two Keystones in a non-mono(one under a top for example) setup on a small/medium sized stage?
3)I think the directivity of the TH's might make them work a little better for the stereo bassbin setup, but I've never used them in a live situation so I don't know how they behave.
Osse,

1)I am unaware of the discussion of TH vs FLH you refer to, but comparing a FLH to a TH with similar directivity would result in similar output.
2)From my experiments, a TH has similar directivity to a FLH of the same path length. Any array of cabinets where there is more than 1/4 wavelength between the acoustic centers will result in cancellations and phase issues off axis.
3)The directivity of the Keystone was apparent in the 70-100 Hz range compared to front loaded subs, but spacing between the L/R stacks and boundaries still controls the output reinforcement and cancellation nodes.

Art

Hi Art

1)I understanding a 505 Will do 120dB,
so a keystone with an EVM18b will do 124dB ?

at 200watts RMS, that isn't too bad
:)

2)only, a '505 is useable 'till far in the midrange,
A keystone does 100hz ?
Empee,

1) An 18B loaded 505 can do 120 dB in the upper end, but probably would run out of excursion above Fb below 120 dB or 200 watts.
Using the B&C18SW115-4 the Keystone can do around 130 dB at 15mm of excursion at 82 volts. Cutting excursion in half drops level by 6 dB, the 18B has only 3.3 mm excursion, so would only be able to do around 117 dB in the Keystone.
You could use the Hornresp inputs from post 96 or 130 and put in the 18B parameters to get more of an idea of response, I'd expect it won't be pretty.

2)The Keystone response is usable to around 160 Hz, but 100 Hz is a better crossover point for subs located on the ground.

Art