KEF LS60 Wireless - Finally! a buzzword compliant wireless speaker that I would buy

View attachment 1127791

Yes they have arrived in stock from the distributor.

Funny you should ask today.

I just auditioned them yesterday.

Unfortunately they weren’t very well setup. Or at least I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Alright so the bass was very extended for such a small speaker, but there’s not much else I can say that is very kind.

And I wanted to hear a passive KEF speaker to compare, but the dealer had none to demonstrate. So I will try again next week at a different dealer.

On the upside, the dealer told me that a new R series is coming this year.

Regards,
Thanh
currently in Melbourne, AUS
so you dislike their wireless overpriced joke but have hope with their R series?
why Not just realize kef engineers have lost their ears a long time ago

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have only some experience with KEF.
The ones I have heard are the Muon (a long time ago) and Blade 2 (non Meta) in 2020.

I am curious to their recent coaxial developments and for this reason I am seeking out to listen to the current (2018) R series and Reference Meta.

When do you feel that KEF lost their ears? Which speakers (or brand) do you prefer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
One of the most enlightening things for me is how maximum SPL is calculated.

1703025967485.png

KEF may be following CTA2034A guidelines section 9

"Powered Loudspeaker Rating The loudspeaker shall be rated in four different listening levels. This calculation shall use the maximum usable continuous SPL and the voltage required to achieve this SPL in Section 8.1 as its basis. The SPL shall be computed using the following assumptions. 1. Two loudspeakers in a listening room each reproducing uncorrelated signals of approximately the same level. 2. The listening position shall be at 4 meters from the loudspeakers. 3. The listening room is partially reflective so there is a “room gain” of 6 dB compared to the direct sound only....

Calculation Calculate the Maximum In-Room SPL at a distance of 4 meters from two loudspeakers in a room.
For this calculation use the Maximum SPL at 1 m from Section 8.3

SPLIn-Room = MaxSPL + 3 dB (stereo pair) + 6 dB (room reinforcement) – 12 dB (4m distance)

Reference:
Standard Method of Measurement for In-Home Loudspeakers ANSI/CTA-2034-A

The relevance of this, as it pertains to designers, is that the usual maximum SPL taken with a gated log sine sweep, is 9dB less than what CTA-2034A allows.

Erin measured a maximum anechoic SPL of 96dB (@1m). For a pair an extra gain is +3dB. Add 6dB for room reinforcement and this is perhaps how KEF arrived at the maximum SPL chart:

1703025719316.png

All the modelling done by our friends including my not limited to @nc535 simulate a maximum SPL of 105dB was radical.

To meet the SPL of an LS60 sized system, one needs to reach 96dB @1m (4pi) with an excursion limited SPL of 75dB at 20Hz.

Last edited: