Karlsonator

Hello everyone and good mood! I had the idea to build a Karlsonator "8" for a Fostex fe 206 en speaker.
Can you please tell me how best to dampen the cabinet?
What is the best cut of the front panel to make in order to reach the lowest possible bass (the one that is drawn in blue?)?
Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• GregB's Karlsonator 8 .png
    GregB's Karlsonator 8 .png
    360.2 KB · Views: 172
As drawn its tuned to ~41Hz - it might be useful to tune a bit higher - Perhaps XRK971 has suggestions.

Its critical to have stuff in the "stub" above the speaker to prevent undesired resonance and a pad on the cabinet's bottom. After that it may be a matter of taste.

Also from someone else there's an illustration of how to damp reflections on the back of the wings

Attachments

• karlsonator 8 damping.jpg
    karlsonator 8 damping.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 155
  • karlsonator stuffing and wings damping.jpg
    karlsonator stuffing and wings damping.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: 1 user
the shorter height slot gave 41Hz tuning in Jesse Brunner's Karlsonator 8 with Visaton BG20. I would imagine the full height slot would oly be a couple of Hz higher at most.

41Hz tuning does not mean it will play flat to 41Hz with FE206EN. I don't have a Karlsonator hornresp model to make estimates.

Here's Jesse's graph with the Visaton BG20.

"RED" is the Karlsonator 8 with BG20

"GREEN" is the Karlsonator 12 with BG20 (I don't think there was any damping material in the Karlsonator 12's "stub").

Karlsonator 12 is tuned to 37Hz.

1675838001318.png

Last edited:
the shorter height slot gave 41Hz tuning in Jesse Brunner's Karlsonator 8 with Visaton BG20. I would imagine the full height slot would oly be a couple of Hz higher at most.

41Hz tuning does not mean it will play flat to 41Hz with FE206EN. I don't have a Karlsonator hornresp model to make estimates.

Here's Jesse's graph with the Visaton BG20.

"RED" is the Karlsonator 8 with BG20

"GREEN" is the Karlsonator 12 with BG20 (I don't think there was any damping material in the Karlsonator 12's "stub").

Karlsonator 12 is tuned to 37Hz.
Thank you very much!

Hello everyone and thank you for the interesting thread.

I have ca. 20 years old 8" Acousto-Pro SH-830 car hifi midbass woofers. I wonder if they would work with Karlsonator 8. For high frequencies there could be a separate driver.

Would someone of you who are masters of Hornresp have time to model my element to find out if that works?
Alternatively, is there some good self-help Hornresp tutorials to find out if the box would fit?

I managed to find some parameters for this woofer:
Vas [Liters] 26
Qts 0,34
Qes 0,37
Qms 4,2
Fs [Hz] 45,5
Sensitivity [dB] 90
Max Power [W] 50

I think you need a big XKi. Like a Deltalite II 2515 15in or something like 100dB sensitivity. The XKi controls cone excursion very well so SPL should be able to go pretty high. Of course use with K tube tweeter crossed around 1.2kHz.

Tune box to 41Hz and hit the low bass notes.

99.5dB should be something special - price seems very reasonable for a neo magnet driver with this kind of sensitivity. I think it will have a jack hammer punch and is articulate with fairly light cone (72g) and smooth breakup free response out to 3kHz.

Let me know and I will work up box and vent dimensions for you.

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-deltalite-ii-2515-neo-15-speaker-driver--290-595
I know this is a very old reply but I have the same driver and would love to build a K15 around it. Any help regarding the box dimensions would be much appretiated..:)

FWIW - I would try an "XKi" with a slot vent at the top.
Thank you for the response. I think I have to familiarize myself with XKis first.
Have I understood you and the picture right if I just make "Welter K8" with dimensions given in the picture but the rear chamber 18-20 liters (with a horizontal partition in the middle of the box) and with only one vent (same width as the box) at the top of the enclosure (without 6 vents at the front baffle)?
Could be worth to try :unsure: