Jordan Eikona 2 Designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Something like this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180418-131524.png
    Screenshot_20180418-131524.png
    793.9 KB · Views: 362
Use more bracing if you're concerned about panel resonance. Belting a box with your knuckles is not representative of how the cabinet & drive units function & is usually only of value in quickly establishing where a main panel mode exists.

The foam pictured looks on a quick glance to be a closed cell type, so it will be ineffective for acoustic damping (it will be bordering on reflective) & probably just take up internal volume. However, it doesn't look to have a sufficiently high mass to dramatically affect the resonant behaviour of the panels either, making it the worst of both worlds.

AFAIC the knuckle test is not very valid.
Yeah, one can only tell if the cab sounds 'hollow' at a low frequency, which for speakers with a tuning down low is useless as it either needs to sound like one's knuckles hitting a concrete slab [well below tuning] or when hitting a braced metal panel [well above tuning] to ensure the driver can't excite any cab panel eigenmodes.

From this we see that increasing the cab's stiffness via full 3D bracing to tie all six sides together is the cheapest, easiest, least bulky way to achieving our goal, so if one is going to use a knock test, at least use a ball peen hammer or similar.

GM

I am looking to build a pair of Eikona VTL, but would like to know if they're good for my space. I have to put the speakers on the long wall. Due to layout of the room the distance between the listening chair and speakers will be about 8.5 ft. This is not exactly near-field, but probably closer than usual so I would like to know if they will perform well given the setting.

Thanks in advance.

They should work fine and if angled in correctly (60 degrees rather than the usual 45 so the axes cross in front of the listening position), the stereo image holds up even if the speakers are farther apart than usual. The VTL shape means they can be placed back against the wall when not in use or used for background listening.

Hi Colin,

Do you recall the BSC filter values recommend for the VTL, I couldn't find them on the Jordan website.

Thanks,
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.