John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
minor correction that didn't post:

the headphones ought to sound no different than any other reasonably good electromechanical interface to the ear, certainly not "bad"!!

would best read:

the headphones ought to sound no better or worse than any other reasonably good electromechanical interface to the ear, certainly not "bad"!!

dunno why the edit didn't post...

_-_-bear

Okay i'll try & precis what I lost

John, this is to Joshua.
Speakers & headsets are affected by 1st order effects, classic newtonian physics,Electronics uses these things multiplied by each other,how does a feedback resistor alter whats already happened,& all that.
look I wish I could type faster.

Max

Re: Okay i'll try & precis what I lost

albin said:
John, this is to Joshua.
Speakers & headsets are affected by 1st order effects, classic newtonian physics,Electronics uses these things multiplied by each other,how does a feedback resistor alter whats already happened,& all that.
look I wish I could type faster.

Max

Others are maybe more charitable.

i think you are simply pissed.

Now that I clearly know what the question is, let me try to address it.
Back in 1971 or so, three audio designers got together and asked the same question. We did not have the answer ourselves, but we thought that the great Richard Heyser could answer it for us. So we went to see him, personally, and asked him this question. He didn't have a direct answer either, BUT he pointed out the limitations of our measurements, the problems with ANYTHING with global negative feedback, an how he was developing a different measurement process that might resolve at least some questions.
We went away, not completely satisfied, but hopeful. The rest is history.

If you find them too revealing, the HD650:s might suit you better. They sound very good and are more made to enjoy music than being a tool for studio musicians.

Sigurd

scott wurcer said:

I forgot to mention that I have Sennheiser HD-600 head phones and a pure class A driver for them. Isn't that OK for hearing small things? Frankly they are too revealing and I find something wrong with just about everything through them.

However, we seem to be able to tolerate a fair amount of distortion from speakers or headsets that we usually would condemn in electronics. Why?

Partial answer:

Most speakers are symmetrical mechanical devices and good speakers - used within their design limits - therefore produce mostly even order distortion which we can tolerate easily. It's subjectively sort of like tape hiss or groove noise, only less obtrusive.

We don't easily tolerate odd order distortions, especially higher order, and they are produced more easily by electronic devices and reproduced faithfully by good speakers.

Also, since a good transducer will consistently produce the same errors at any given input level, we become acclimated to it's sound and thus an aberrant signal produced by electronics has novelty which we may notice in some fashion. So in the end, even even order distortion from electronics may get noticed - folk will say an amp sounds "warm", for instance, compared to another played on the same speakers.

FrankWW said:
Partial answer:

Most speakers are symmetrical mechanical devices and good speakers - used within their design limits - therefore produce mostly even order distortion which we can tolerate easily.
[snip]

Hi Frank,

Apart from the question whether speakers produce more even harmonics than odd, any symmetrical system produces odd harmonics.

Regards,
Edmond.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Joshua_G said:
I find it amusing how lesser ones feel the need to put down greater ones on order to feel good about themselves.

I tend not to think in terms of lesser and greater, I assume everybody is equal amongst equals. Which means all would be treated equal as well. Which means that when I ask for engineering info from those that profess to be engineers, I'm not treated as the village idiot by so-called 'greaters'.

But it's a temporary problem anyway. Those so-called 'greaters' do a great job to cut themselves down to size with almost every post here.

Jan Didden

Status
Not open for further replies.