John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andre Visser said:

Use the linear Xtal super silver cable from Bear, I believe good silver wire will always sound better than copper on well designed equipment.

Joshua_G said:

Who is the Emperor in this thread and who is the child?

The child is anyone who thinks there is point that they have to drive across to another- via their beliefs, specifically the belief that today's textbook somehow accurately describes the future and all future knowledge. If that were true, we'd be born with all the knowledge we need to navigate our lives. A textbook is a map of the ground we've covered-nothing more.

And, to add, I don't even remotely agree with Syn. His judgment is clouded, IMO. Specifically? I feel that if forced to a wall and forced to state (on penalty of death if wrong) what the truth might be-I'd say his knowledge base in these areas is weak. That, combined with his perceptive abilities, all that and possibly the relational aspects between two folks attempting to communicate.

We all march forward, self assured in the world based on our perceptions and mental considerations, painting our realities -- before us. The more aware of such things the given person may be, the better off they are and the more they can bring to this discussion.

High end audio is a complex subject, at best.

john curl said:
Please understand that I am an old man, living on royalties (minimal) and Social Security, worrying how I will pay my next doctor bill. Before I leave this Earth, I hope to impart some learned 'wisdom' to others. That is my main interest here.

At least John, you have taught one successor. Analysis of your circuits has completely changed my view of audio circuits and design style. But I am not the youngest, though.

syn08 said:
Of course, calling one "ignorant as a fence pole" is never going to raise any kind of warm feelings. No hard feeling here, though.

Perhaps John was right.

syn08 said:
I also really appreciate your willing to share your experience. However, mentoring is a talent and an art at the same time. Keeping an open mind, rather than a hardcore/denial position, is also a good sign of wisdom and is in fact (to my experience) very good in attracting disciples.[/B]

Perhaps you are the one that need to keep an open mind.

syn08 said:
Unfortunately, after reading this forum for quite some years now, I have to tell that it is unlikely you will succeed in creating a JC legacy. Rather than that, you attracted around you a group of yesmen and/or ignorants, ultimately interested only in your endorsement, which in fact don't give a rat's *** on you and your experience. They are in fact using you for their more or less commercial interests and unfortunately, occasionally, your ego (which, I suppose, makes you endorse almost anybody that agrees with you) exceeds what should be your own best interest
[/B]

John don't need to CREATE a legacy, he did that years ago.

I can't understand this constant crying, John and most (all?) of his "yesman" believe in good measurements, it is only taken a step further to include our ears / brain, which is ultimately the part that must be satisfied.

syn08 said:
Believe or not, it is a sad situation, and I really feel for you and the position you are in. Please don't take personal or to seriously anything that is said here, it's ultimately just a chat over the Internet
[/B]

Perhaps you wish to be in his position, therefore criticising everything he stands for.

André

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
fredex said:

Earlier you cited a case where the size and colour of a speaker affected people's perception, big and black goes lower. A small point however as I agree with the rest of your posts. And I find it interesting that although others can't dispute the science they can genuinely believe that it doesn't apply to them.

Yes. They are not important to hearing, but to perception. I always use hearing to talk about getting the sound into your ears and henceforth to the brain. Perception is what you conciously 'experience' as hearing. I know, it's confusing.

Earlier I noted that there is two way traffic, that the brain actually can reach back to your hearing apparatus and adjust its gain etc depending on earlier memories of similar situations and expectations. If you have two speakers in different sizes, you 'expect' that the bigger one has better bass. The 'reach-back' effect means that with equal sound pressure output, chances are overwhelming that you conciously experience the bigger one to have better bass (however defined).
Floyd Toole's experiments neatly support that (see: Science in the service of Art).

Your last point is the biggest hurdle to progress in this field. It takes a large jump in self-criticism and self-research to even admit the possibility that there is more to it than the sound that 'pops up' in your head. Yet, the scientific evidence is overwhelming. Not just audio, in every other walk of life.

In some areas it is more accepted than others. In the air line industry for instance it is a factor that is routinely taken care of. Talk to jet pilots: it is very common for them to be completely, absolutely sure that they are flying straight and level while in reality they are making turns while flying upside down. They are trained to ONLY trust their instruments and distrust their own senses. I believe this is one of the hardest things for humans to do.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
john curl said:
I am just stating a 'fact' to SYN08. He has no idea what I think about audio or why. It never ceases to amaze me that this is so, and why people like me are considered 'unreliable' or some such, just because we do what works from our own experience.

John, that's not fair. You have been posting here and given your views on audio for several years. We know your opinions on audio from those 100's of posts where you were very outspoken.
Are you saying that you have been fooling us all? That you really think something completely different that you posted? That can't be true!

Jan Didden

syn08 said:

John,

You may or may not belive it, but there is nothing personal in my pretty hardcore stance against the subjectivist team. I would have exactly the same position if your name woud be prof. Lipshitz, or prof. Vanderkooy. In fact, I guess you recall the same tough stance in my position, not to long ago, against prof. Hawksford (which otherwise I deeply respect) for his "cables" article (which, coincidentally or not, is the one and only out of his work that you really seem to appreciate).

The truth is, we have almost completely opposite way of approaching audio, but at the end of the day I couldn't (and you shouldn't) care less. I'm a hobbyst (having some serious scientific background, though), you are one of the living audio legends. If you remember my original message in this thread (that somehow started all this mudslinging) I expressed my deep respect for your work 40 years ago.

In an attempt to get at the root of the opposing views, let me ask you:
Do you have high-end audio setup at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.