John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
When somebody, John Curl or whoever, claims he can hear this and that
after he done some listening test of this and that:

How much Type 1 error probability?
How much Type 2 error probability?

And are the two probabilities exactly the same?
:D :D

-----------

In my book, those who claim sohuld be glad for any good method to verify.
But for some reason we have so many that does not want to verify there listening impressions :clown:
Why is this ...... hmmm, hmmm

The very thing they do not want to try to get some more info to backup .... is in my opionion very suspect.
And makes their claims not worth many pennies.

Lineup

janneman said:
I fully expect many of you to think: ahh yes, that can be true, but
I clearly hear what I hear, I'm immune. I DO clearly hear it! Well, that's part of the problem why most audiophiles are not interested even to learn about this. It really FEELS like you are clearly hearing what you hear. It is pretty funny to think that when you run your hand across that amp, it changes the way you 'hear' the amp perform. Nevertheless, it is true, as I mentioned, this is undisputed in serious research. The only dispute is the extend of the difference between perception and actual sense input. Again and again it appears that it is even worse than we thought.

You mean, it could be like that? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdr0fXgZ9ZA

lineup said:
When somebody, John Curl or whoever, claims he can hear this and that
after he done some listening test of this and that:

How much Type 1 error probability?
How much Type 2 error probability?

And are the two probabilities exactly the same?
:D :D

-----------

In my book, those who claim sohuld be glad for any good method to verify.
But for some reason we have so many that does not want to verify there listening impressions :clown:
Why is this ...... hmmm, hmmm

The very thing they do not want to try to get some more info to backup .... is in my opionion very suspect.
And makes their claims not worth many pennies.

Lineup

I bet nobody with those good hearing will want to answer this one
:clown: :clown:
They take any little straw of excuse, to not have to get some more valid results
for ANY SUBJECTIVE STATEMENT and CLAIM of ANY SORT.

janneman said:
This is the basic misunderstanding in perception. The eyes are not 'important to hearing', I don't think anybody stated that.............

Earlier you cited a case where the size and colour of a speaker affected people's perception, big and black goes lower. A small point however as I agree with the rest of your posts. And I find it interesting that although others can't dispute the science they can genuinely believe that it doesn't apply to them.

The common knowledge among those doing reasearch in human perception
is that all senses effect the impression of hearing, seeing.

Movies. Film music.
The perception of same sequence, scene of a movie will be strongely affected
by the sound track.
For example background music, effect sounds.

The other way goes to.
The visual impression will effect the sound impression.

Just a turning of your head to focus another spot
will effect the stereo perspective.

This comes from we can not close down senses.

Our full image of reality around us,
is in every second a joint image in our mind of information at hand from all our senses.
Sort of a SUM of THE CURRENT STATE.

Not only current info is involved.
Stored impression, memories, expectations will be added to the current impression.
Because data in our brain have no time perspective.
Data from yesterday or 1 year ago
can be picked out and re-lived, for a new current association

stinius said:
Sorry to say, but this thread reminds my more and more about the fairytale by HC Andersen:

“The Emperor's New Clothes”

I’m not sure if everybody has read this, but in scandinavia everybody knows the fairytale.
If you havn’t read it I can recommend it.

Andersen is famous the world over. I was first introduced to this story in school as a child, but did not fully understand it until many years later.

Another great story by him is "The Princess and the Pea". His concept of a "real princess" is much like that of a "real audiophile".

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
andy_c said:

Andersen is famous the world over. I was first introduced to this story in school as a child, but did not fully understand it until many years later.

Another great story by him is "The Princess and the Pea". His concept of a "real princess" is much like that of a "real audiophile".
Andy

I’m glad to see that you have read HC Andersen, and I agree his fairytales is not meant for kids (only). HC Andersen was a wise person and his fairy tales has a lot deeper meaning, and I think a lot of people find themselves in a situation almost every day that can be related to his fairytales.

I think you are right:
"The Princess and the Pea". His concept of a "real princess" is much like that of a "real audiophile".

Stinius

Status
Not open for further replies.