John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
john curl said:
Southwest technical independently invented the complementary differential input stage a few years after Jon Iverson and I had separately invented it. They were the first to openly publish the circuit in 'The Audio Amateur' and allegedly showed the circuit to Jim B. who then took it to SAE. Circuit topology is advanced, but followthrough is weak, and the amps were not very reliable.

Interesting facts..thanks John.

I found the amps were incredibly reliable. But that had a caveat..the heatsink assembly was terrible, there were gigs where I had a co-worker holding ice cubes against the external fins to get the amp to click back on..4 hours full power into 4 ohms was significantly beyond the thermal design.

The pre's, 40409's and 40410's also suffered. The 10K 1/4 watt in the middle of the zeners actually dissipated 400 milliwatts, coupla those died.

But once I re-packaged 12 Tigers with forced airflow and tunnel sinks, put half watters in for the 10K...these puppies ran for, ummm, years..I built em all in '78.

Still using 2 of them here, just used one to drive a 4 ohm heater with 100 microsecond wide 50 volt pulses..

Cheers, John

Hey John, this is the front end your talkin about?

Cheers, John

Attachments

• tiger front.jpg
    tiger front.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 505
There's a bit of proven nonsense in there, but I have lost the energy for a while (jeesh the "micro-diodes" return). I assume he meant Avantest spectrum analyser? Some of the old real analog machines could do incredible stuff if you waited long enough. Such as a real 3Hz wide crystal filter IF. I once found the Easter egg on our HP that allowed you to turn off the autocal so you could extend max averaging time.

Well, I hope that people will at least look at these two articles, made many years ago, and learn something new. I don't expect everyone to get anything new, as many are caught up in their own belief system and they believe that people who offer something different are showing: "delusion, hallucination, group hallucination, mass hallucination, mere coincidence, sheer coincidence or sloppy research". (from 'Prometheus Rising' by Anton Wilson p. 151 )

Aren't we all caught up in our own beliefs? Many real discoveries where made by taking another route.

I personally know an engineer and close friend of Mr. van den Hul who discovered a way to structure components but had no way to scientifically create a method so that it could be done by others. His method, though working, was not accepted, not even by collegues who could hear the difference in sound. In that regard he is way ahead of his time.

The technique has been explained and demonstrated to me personally, and it works! The knowledge used though can also be used for other means in a bad way. Mr. van den Hul knows this too, but has and will never make it public and for the time being that is also my view. My personal invesitigation carries on as I'm open and fascinated by those who are taking a different route and make real discoveries.

Not everything can be explained by science and yet the proof is there.

Franklin

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have never seen a stylus that can track this with less than 5-10%.

Well, vinyl lovers are more or less ruled out of the whole discussion here :D , as there are so many distortions taking place tracking the groove (mistracking angle for pivot tonearms...) or other shortcomings as meager 25dB channel separation that make vinyl really poor in comparison to modern amplifiers.

Not to mention all mastering rules needed for a proper vinyl master (limiting maximum amplitude, bass limitation, Mono-bass) or other fun as the echoes of neighbouring tracks that can appear with lacquer mastering.

Have fun, Hannes

Andre Visser said:
FWIW, based on listening tests, I can agree with the effect of crystal boundaries, Prof Hawksford's theory of them causing reflections seems very plausible to me

Yep. I can also hear the curl operator right hand drilling the vector field and electrons tunneling through potential barriers. While riding their quantum waves, the electrons are sounding pretty pissed by the menial job to escalate the crystal boundaries. I've heard one of them telling to his peers about a potential strike in order to persuade those pesky scientist they have rights and feelings and should be treated as any other GEB member.

Status
Not open for further replies.