John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
CG said:

Some of the Knight-Kits from Allied Radio were pretty good, too.

GE actually was in the educational kit biz for a while, too. I had an AM transmitter from them as well as an intercom.

A GE experimenters kit was my first, I still think it's at home in my mother's care. I signed the promise that I would never violate the FCC rules and taped it to the bottom of the board it was still there a couple of years ago (signed and dated 1964).

scott wurcer said:

A GE experimenters kit was my first, I still think it's at home in my mother's care. I signed the promise that I would never violate the FCC rules and taped it to the bottom of the board it was still there a couple of years ago (signed and dated 1964).

It comes down to a given person's technical knowledge being fleshed out (on it's outer edges) by their belief system, as the technical knowledge forms a fundamental point of focus in their lives. At such a point, the internals of the animal within are engaged whether the individual realizes it or not..therefore argument with neither logic or reason ensues. people have to separate within themselves with a bit more self respect the thoughts of what exactly innovation vs personal capacity vs personal skill level and knowledge base is..within them..vs the outer world. Knowledge does not equate with personal comfort or security. The opposite is true, if intelligence and logic be applied to unknowns.

(Thus the very 'human' activity of argument against the new or personally unrealized. This can easily be seen in a classroom situation where answers are not given, they are expected to be found, via application of logic and thought. Many Students become angry when they do not understand a given thing.)

Anything else is linear thought and memory function -- even a plant is good at that. If you want to help people not argue during technical discussions on 'new' or 'unrealized in the mainstream sense'..then you have to go to the Copenhagen school of thought on 'teaching' and...put the boots to it - until it is dead.

It was/is a quite handy teaching methodology which originated in Copenhagen, which emphasized rote memory skills and repetitive teaching and regurgitation over mental innovation. Cookie-cutter scholastics, one could call it. The entire western scientific/technical community over the past 200 years has evolved in this environment, and it is OK..but overall, it is not a good thing. It inherently brings linear thinkers to the fore..and stifles the new, via it's very existence as the backdrop of 'science'. Due to the fact that it is filled with it's core design..the linear thinkers..overall..they fail to recognize the existence of the base problem. They identify with it, it called them to it's bosom, and nurtured them....and they and it..are 'one'. And like any fully unrealized being (which the vast majority of us are), they emotionally rail against anything that threatens it.

So when scientists/etc attack the new, when it does not fit the paradigm, some will tell them (tell the scientists and pundits) they are being 'hoisted by their own petard', and the given scientist or group will not understand the statement, which satisfies the statement's base point of utterance.

As in all things, either individually or as a group, all eventually come to a wall that cannot be passed, being blocked by that which lies within. A wise individual can realize these things. A group, due to integrative dynamics, cannot. It tends to have a need to be broke away from it's frozen state, from external pressure. The 'groupthink' emotional/communication basis does not allow for the thought patterns necessary for psychological extraction from the given dilemma. (In one paragraph, the base reason for the success of 'shock doctrine' politics-it is the reduced communication capacity of the group mid vs that of the individual)

Once again, we see these things everywhere but do our damnedest to never see such within ourselves or the groups we personally associate with.

I have come to the conclusion that if one is to be awarded a masters or PhD. in any technical field, a base requirement in obtaining that degree should be a minimum of 2 and as high as 4 courses in human function and psychology.

Science and the human world in general would be in far, far, better shape for it.

Intelligence in the human mind begins when the individual comes to the understanding that they 'are on their own'. Before that, there is literally no need whatsoever beyond anything other than autonomic function.

The growth of intelligence begins and continues in the given adult individual...ONLY when they venture out of their 'comfort zone'. and embrace new unknowns..which by their very nature, must be more complex than anything they have yet come across and must be inherently more difficult to understand.

Before that point of capitulating to the need for 'reason and thought applied to the new' is reached, they are only the same small angry child they where many years ago, before they got down to the task of learning the new.

scott wurcer said:
Hmmm.... I'm a little lost here, but I am again sorry that I got so agitated about quantum purification and wire directionality. It was great to see everyone at burning amp especially JC.

Sorry Scott, it was the comment on how the digression provided less argument and how sad that was. I agree. The vagaries of the forum's design placed your comment in there instead.

Especially after the Burning Amp convention, I hope that we can work closer together to get the best information available up on this thread. Now that all we know each other better, perhaps that will be easier to do. I do appreciate Scott bringing his extra IC's because I did not have samples of those devices. For the record, Scott has helped me for decades in getting quality part samples from Analog Devices. That might seem surprising to some, since we sometimes debate each other in print.

Doppelganger

Nelson Pass said:

What a great picture - I think I'll just put that on my desktop.

It was such a pleasure to see you again John.

:cool:

JC looks like Christopher Lloyd in "Back To The Future" when he was discussing the "flux capacitor":D:D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

When I was 11 (1961), I made my first (small) batch of nitroglycerin, and "popped" a hole in my parents basement floor...:bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.