John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: PIM

Bob Cordell said:
Hi Edmond. Yes, it's just a guess of mine that doing an AC analysis with different DC offsets would reveal PIM. I have not tried it yet.
Maybe you missed my Post #6530, where I just tried that, showing only the closed-loop amplitude response vs bias. Now here, for the same test conditions, the phase plot from 1kHz to 20kHz, showing some 1deg max delta between different DC bias values.

- Klaus

Attachments

• pim3.gif
    pim3.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 666
Charles, since you are using this thread to communicate with Scott, I might interject an opinion. I don't think that Scott can help you in any real way, since he does not believe in what you and I do and know. IF you could get Barrie Gilbert or at least one of his circuits with some sort of fet input, then maybe we could all surge forward with a quality chip.

> These Sanyo FET's were only a tiny bit worse than the Toshiba ones at half the Ciss. I wonder if they make P-channel.

Scott,

I searched the Sanyo website as well as Japanese DIY websites, and could not find any P-channel. See :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1533270&highlight=#post1533270

While there were a few of those sites mentioning the use of 2SK223 (supposedly because of the high Vds rating) as frontend diffpairs, I could not even find a supplier on the net for any of them for small quantities, including 2SK222 (other than the usual Chip Inventory sites).

Patrick

EUVL said:
>
While there were a few of those sites mentioning the use of 2SK223 (supposedly because of the high Vds rating) as frontend diffpairs, I could not even find a supplier on the net for any of them for small quantities, including 2SK222 (other than the usual Chip Inventory sites).

www.segor.de

2sk223 EUR 0.70 @ 1 EUR 0.57 @10

no 2sk222, however.

regards, Gerhard

Charles Hansen said:
Oh, come on John. Two N-channels with a push-pull transformer have to be at least as good as a complementary pair.

Right?

Right???

Right?????????

Hmmm...

Why not?

Take a look at the first and third quadrants of a B-H loop for a high nickel core. Are they any less complementary than any of the complementary JFET pairs out there?

se

john curl said:
PMA, good that you are still here. Jack Bybee came over this week and we did some listening tests too. Lots of fun, and my hi fi needed some TLC, as I tend to neglect it. Jack brought over a NEW item of interest, then we got into his expensive Mercedes and went to lunch at a fancy restaurant. (You see, Jack is independly wealthy from other investments, not audio, he just does audio for the love of it)

John, just returned, and results of listening tests were great for discrete complementary - differential, against opamp based designs.

Charles Hansen said:
Oh, come on John. Two N-channels with a push-pull transformer have to be at least as good as a complementary pair.

Right?

Right???

Right?????????

Actually, after doing a little research, it seems that the answer is in fact, "Right."

With regard to distortion cancellation of the complementary differential, John has said "You people worry too much about superficial things."

According to John, the real advantage of complementary differential is "...that it creates two separate signals that are opposed in DC voltage from each other. This gives 2 times the gain, without any phase delay increase."

Ultimately, so does two N-channels with a push-pull transformer.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

se

Status
Not open for further replies.