John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
:female::female:
That is correct.

Just like Thai cuisine, balance is the secret word. In order to achieve that, you need at least some understanding of the other components, e.g. hooking....

I took this picture yesterday, somewhere in Thailand. Sorry for the distraction guys,
but it seemed strangely appropriate.

20190511_204627.jpg

High heels, tiny tables, the required balance is superhuman. And sorry, Tryphon, my lens found more interesting subjects ;-)

Last edited:
The queue dots of course I spent years as a projectionist. the delay between sound and picture was set by a standard to keep everything synchronized. Two sets, at the first you turn on the second projector at the second you switch the gates, you can't get me on this I did it for years.

Great, now do you know how to cue a record on an RCA broadcast turntable?

:female::female:

I took this picture yesterday, somewhere in Thailand. Sorry for the distraction guys,
High heels, tiny tables, the required balance is superhuman. And sorry, Tryphon, my lens found more interesting subjects ;-)

Where? GPS coordinates please.
We'll be there in July, and I want to check out this gravity defying place where people sit upside down. :

For those who don't have the T. Holman article razored out of the old magazine, it's available at: AUDIO - Consumer audio and music magazine from 1947 to 2000. Choose July 1977, scan to page 72.
It's strange to see folks who came up in the CD era trying to re-fight so much engineering that was settled doctrine decades ago...

Pp 78 & 79 missing from the PDF I downloaded...I subscribed to Audio from 1980-2000 and loved it, great tech overview and equipment test reports. Much less flowery BS when describing equipment, which was much appreciated as it did nothing to help me understand any differences...

...Believe it or not, good solid engineering occurred before the internet. Strange, but true.
All good fortune,
Chris

Whaaaaa??? Get right out of town!!!

lolol
Howie

Joined 2002
Paid Member
with any old, rumbling and grunting pieces of junk, be it turntable, loudspeakers, etc.

That sort of “junk” (your words) is the subject of admiration and appreciation for others.
You think of them as they are clueless. So they think of you.
(move your hypothetical viewfinder toward the “why people still listen to analog vinyl (“junk”) instead of listening to and through digital” scene)

George

why people still listen to analog vinyl (“junk”) instead of listening to and through digital
I would also like that to be explained to me.
Especially since it seems that the old nostalgic people are not the majority of buyers of vinyl, but indeed the younger generation. It seems that after almost disappearing, the vinyl market is growing years after years. May-be a fashion ?

Last edited:
Well, at least,one thing remain in favor of vinyls, their good resistance in time.

Could be seen as provocative, but, after my music library was stored in a humid cellar for a long time, I found a lot of CDs completely destroyed by mold. In fact, all those whose upper face was not screen printed on all the surface. We can see through by places.
No vinyl was mistreated during this period.

It is true too, that all the protocol needed to play vinyls, the beauty of the record sleeve have a special charm that is lost with our dematerialized or miniaturized modern media. So is-it like loving black and white film photography, that have a charm lost with modern digital cameras, that (since few years), exceed in quality and fidelity this old technology ?

Last edited:
I listen to both cd and vinyl format. Vinyls because most of indian classical and other music converted to audio cd sound bad. May be we were learning. Audio CDs pressed in those days in UK sound good according to some audiophiles. Besides turntables, cartridges, tonearms are good mechanical device to study and explore. Nothing to do with comparing high fidelity against CDs. Just if they can be improved further.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.