John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't put me in that group, Jacob2 knows that one of my goals is oriented toward extraordinary claims involving violations of basic physical principles. On listening evaluation I simply want some uniform set of standards that everyone can agree on. I'm still at the point where, for instance, your "reverb tails" are a phenomena that some people can hear maybe repeatably, but no evidence has been presented from any controlled listening test. I have no reason to believe your claims over the folks that say there is no difference (for them) between a $300 DAC board and a Benchmark.

I'll give up picking on Jakob2 when I'll see his FIRST "no peeking" TEST PLAN, designed to identify whatever (of his choice) extraordinary audio related claim. That, rather than endlessly nitpicking on others attempts to create and implement such a plan, or at best providing vague suggestions.

Because we are at nitpicking, this is what I posted:

<snip>
entirely dedicated to put down any attempt to rely on ABX for identification or preference tests, disregarding how carefully and throughout they are designed
<snip>

Let me correct the above:

"entirely dedicated to put down any attempt to rely on ABX for identification, or preference tests, disregarding how carefully and throughout they are designed"

Last edited:
Please don't put me in that group...

I don't.

I have no reason to believe your claims over the folks that say there is no difference (for them) between a $300 DAC board and a Benchmark.

Understood. For some people and in some situations there is likely not a noticeable difference. I would be surprised if that were not the case. I am more interested in other cases, usually.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
An impulse already has "all" frequencies. Spreading here only makes sense in the time domain. The mix and match approach to looking at a problem in the time vs frequency domain gets sloppy.

I'm willing to defend my assertions with real data from LP's rather than just speculation. I spent an inordinate amount of time on my digital RIAA article (I estimate Jan comped me about 50 cents an hour) and found that the reality is far from the usual accepted hegemony. Like digital RIAA loses 40dB of dynamic range, in practice nonsense because one is simply thinking full scale sine waves at each frequency which is never the reality. There are a lot of Pure Vinyl users that are happy, I just wanted to put the basic process into an open source framework.

I can’t comment on the digital RIAA thing.

I’m simply saying it’s easy enough to design an RIAA with enough headroom to enable it to deal with virtually any eventuality.

I don’t understand how you can clip a pop or crackle and not have it generate more harmonics and garbage (talking about analog RIAA).

Last edited:
<snip> On listening evaluation I simply want some uniform set of standards that everyone can agree on. I'm still at the point where, for instance, your "reverb tails" are a phenomena that some people can hear maybe repeatably, but no evidence has been presented from any controlled listening test. I have no reason to believe your claims over the folks that say there is no difference (for them) between a $300 DAC board and a Benchmark.

Wrt "reverb tails" i had a faint memory of a description of perceptable noise effects fairly down in level but could not remember who wrote it and where i had read about it; actually it was Paul Frindle describing an event from his time at Sony Oxford (although i think he gave a more detailed description of the effect elsewhere):

"It turns out that under practical conditions we can hear much much more than the accepted models of our hearing would suggest, much much more than I would have ever predicted 20 years ago.. Our ability to differentiate between sounds and make sense of them is nothing short of astounding!

For instance an earlier post (by timlloyd) mentions the ability to hear the difference between correlated and uncorrelated dither at -93dB. As absurd as this may seem logically speaking, he is actually perfectly correct - under some circumstances you really can!!

We had to re-engineer great swathes of dither processing in the OXF-R3 to lose just this effect even using what I thought were text book mathematically un-correlated noise sources. Moreover they were not only producing effective noise at around -110dB down (17dB better than CD) - they were also being randomised yet one more time by each converter!! How much correlation was there? Virtually none!

But this effect was first pointed out and demonstrated to me by a mastering engineer, in his own live studio, playing an analogue taped music (with no more than 70dB SNR) through an early OXF-R3 converter rack at normal listening levels. When he first suggested he could hear something (wasn't sure what) I couldn't believe him. When I heard it too and eventually found out the cause I was completely astounded!! I would have never ever believed this possible by any stretch of the imagination. But I could simulate it back in the lab and prove the cause - and ultimately fix it. Very humbling stuff indeed!

Trying to measure correlation (that we might hear) at this level directly is virtually impossible. In the end we made a processing model that did this reliably which could be varied in the related parameters, and designed the eventual system based on what I was able to hear or not hear after sitting there for days on end with different deliberately revealing signals - and then made the final design several time better than that for safety. That was the best (and only effective) science we could bring to bear on the problem! Theorists would (and actually did) laugh. "

One other thing, you have to use very fine solder - I think mine is 0.5mm or 0.8mm diameter.

I have 0.23 mm solder, bought at SEGOR-electronics GmbH. They used to be in my neighborhood,
it's also available elsewhere.

That makes the difference. And the Metcal Ultrafine tip.

I don't know if the deep link works : < SEGOR-electronics GmbH >

LZ 0,23-100
SMD-Lötzinn 0,23mm 100g
Sn60Pb38Cu2 FSW26(2,5%)

100 g is enough for years since it does not end up in the solder wick.

regards, Gerhard

Last edited:
For instance an earlier post (by timlloyd) mentions the ability to hear the difference between correlated and uncorrelated dither at -93dB. As absurd as this may seem logically speaking, he is actually perfectly correct - under some circumstances you really can!!

Who everyone, .01% of the population? Perfectly correct is an extreme statement, you are obligated to provide evidence just as those who claim the opposite "perfectly". I assume at the minimum these claims are based on a rigid protocol with the required positive and negative controls which you demand of the rest of us. At least look at the words in your post you present this data as fact.

Last edited:
you are obligated to provide evidence just as those who claim the opposite "perfectly

Even if it costs him $1,000,000 and a few years of his life? Otherwise, shutup? Or is it enough to preface the story with, "what follows is anecdotal.." as if that weren't clear.

By the way, for gerhard's last post, about solder and such, is he obligated to provide proof as much as those who may claim otherwise?

Or is it enough to preface the story with, "what follows is anecdotal.." as if that weren't clear.

Wasn't that clear, what follows is anecdotal, from all sides I have no problem with that? "You really can" is a statement of fact. There is anecdotal evidence that some people think they can under some circumstances is more accurate.

Last edited:
I have 0.23 mm solder, bought at SEGOR-electronics GmbH. They used to be in my neighborhood,
it's also available elsewhere.

That makes the difference. And the Metcal Ultrafine tip.

I don't know if the deep link works : < SEGOR-electronics GmbH >

LZ 0,23-100
SMD-Lötzinn 0,23mm 100g
Sn60Pb38Cu2 FSW26(2,5%)

100 g is enough for years since it does not end up in the solder wick.

regards, Gerhard

Why don't you guys use a hot air tool for soldering fine pitch SMDs? Works great for DFNs as well. I use a tipped iron only for tinning the PCB pads before the hot air reflow. Reworking is a breeze.

By the way, for gerhard's last post, about solder and such, is he obligated to provide proof as much as those who may claim otherwise?

The proof is easily done. Go to the web site, type in what you want, add your
credit card number and 3 days later you'll have the proof in your hands.

I must admit that my post is somewhat exotic in this thread. It contains
facts and traces of diy, no unproved claims and namedropping.

My .sig aplies here.

The proof is easily done.

I offered proof that more people could prove they could hear small distortion, if they had an FFT analyzer, and a good sabre dac with register level access.

Same kind of thing as you suggest, 'you can easily prove it yourself,' type of claim. Most people won't do it, as you probably know. Just like most who solder SMD with an iron won't bother with hot air. All we can do when we offer tips is hope that maybe someone will try something new.

Why don't you guys use a hot air tool for soldering fine pitch SMDs? Works great for DFNs as well. I use a tipped iron only for tinning the PCB pads before the hot air reflow. Reworking is a breeze.

I do have a hot air station, a temp-controlled plate and also a vapor-phase
solder machine. But for 95% of the time I need only the Metcal MX5200.
When I got it finally, I was really sour that I hadn'd bought it 10 years earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.