John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was interested by his response when I asked if there was a measure of the ability of those who were believed to be adequately skilled in critical listening
What a strange question, when the answer is so obvious: You, for yourself.
Your problem stay in one word of your question: "believed".
In who do-you believe when you have to chose the color of the painting of your living room ?

This endlessly war between so called objectivists and subjectivists is stupid and boring. And I don't understand why there is no way to end-it once for all.

- It don't exists nowhere a divine tribunal that can put a stamp "Approved" that will allow an audio gear to enter in the paradise of perfection.
- As there is no amplifier that measure the same than an other, like, even, there is no component in it that measure the same than an other -just try to pair two transistors-, why the hell to be surprised if you read that some people pretend they can hear differences, and others not, while we, ourselves, are all different ?

You, pure objectivists, can't you stop to ask for proofs of an absolute truth that don't exit ?
Hifi is not bullet science, which is, in fact, also a "more or less". It is exactly like classic painting: an attempt to build a representation of the reality. A part of technique, a part of art. It will never be perfect: 3D-->2D.

Are-you not questioned to see that most of the people, here, professionally involved in audio, that means passionate and experienced enough to had dedicated and spend their life in this activity are not on your side ?

Electronic and electro-acoustic designers that are involved in audio rely on numbers and measurements to help them in their work. They always try to improve their knowledge and their results.
At the end, all of them that I know, listen to the result of their work to figure out if they can be satisfied or not. And they don't rely on ABX tests. They rely on the sales figure, or the success in their career.

Why are-you so interested in the credibility of some reviewers, or the opinions of others that don't have the same taste than you ? When you want to build your hifi system, which is a quest of YOUR pleasure, why not trusting your own ears ?

When somebody says "I prefer this to that, for this or that reason", it is not an expression of an absolute truth, that, again, don't exists, it is only an invitation to figure out by yourself, if you are interested in-it. Then the only answer you can give, is "I don't feel the same", witch is equally valuable. Not: "Proof" !

You, pure objectivists, don't you realize you are in quest in a new religion that you imagine it is "science" ? We, professionals (IE people that work in it for their living) , are the priests of what you imagine is a religion. And, to be totally sincère, because we are not all so naive, and because we know what happens in the sacristy, we don't believe too much in this religion. We listen with amusement and interest, and more or less sympathy, when a confrere preaches during the Mass. ;-)

Please, for once, try to read the previous with an open mind and honesty, and question yourself before to question others.

Last edited:
I'm afraid so. I was interested by his response when I asked if there was a measure of the ability of those who were believed to be adequately skilled in critical listening

1.) What do you mean by " I´m afraid so" ?

2.) We were discussing soft skills in general and listening skills of people doing "room acoustics" specifically, not restricted to people "moving around your stuff" .

Did i miss your response to my answer?
I was talking about predictability of results and satisfaction (customers satisfaction) with the results.

I found this portion of one comment interesting:....... One could easily enough (okay, it would take some time and expense setting it up, but hardly more than a "real time" ABX test) set up two amplifiers with switching equipment (carefully level-matched, etc.) that selected one or the other, and only switched once every (for example - the time period could be something else) 7 to 14 days, and only when there's no signal passing through (perhaps it switches at 3 to 4AM, when no one is in the room so no one hears any relays or such). The date and time is recorded in internal memory, and can be recalled later, but the listener has no idea when the switchover(s) happen during the listening test. Could someone such as the commenter quoted above, after weeks or months of listening, hear the difference and recognize the switchover date(s)? And would this be something that could NOT be reliably heard in a "real time" ABX test?
Interesting proposal and one I have thought of but with session/hourly/daily randomising of system state.......7 to 14 days is too long/boring and is not required. When a decision reporting is made I think it is reasonable if not critical that immediate feedback of true/false is given and opportunity to manually compare A and B to learn how a wrong decision was made and improve/refine listening criteria before making next decision report....just as false positives need to be eliminated, so too do false negatives.

From my reading of the recording professionals on rec.audio.pro 20 years ago (I learned to trust what they said they could hear, (sometimes I could verify it myself through audio files they posted), those who wrote about audible differences between various amps and preamps COULD tell the difference instantly, or at most in a few seconds. I don't recall anyone discussing differences only heard over the long term.
Signatures should be evident immediately, preference may take longer. Here's a little bit of fun remastering I did yesterday of a Karaoke show recording that came to me by email......my sister is the female vocalist. There are four wav files....'Original' is wav file copy of source 320k MP3 file. The next three files are loopback recordings using 'effectively' three different loopback cables. Jump - Original.wav file and is one reference and Jump - TS.wav is the other reference to the other two loopback recordings which of course are also different to the Original. All this talk (again) of ABX testing, here's something to listen to and discuss, the first four seconds of each is enough to differentiate. Opinions will be very interesting, bring them on.....

Dan.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Everybody thinks that a Lamborghini is a better car than an usual Audi because more of us saw a Lamborghini getting faster past us and fewer people saw a funeral pyre of contorted metal from a Lamborghini than from an Audi, as there are more Audi to commit a traffic accident than Lamborghini on the streets.
The most expensive Accuphase amplifiers do get damaged too, but fewer people know about it.

It is still painful to note that it is impossible on this forum (thread), which is, to my knowledge the only place on the internet, by chance, where audio professionals can exchange between each others, can share their experiences, learn from each others, talk friendly in order to share the knowledge they have or the little tricks they have found, without being permanently assaulted or approved by people who have neither the same qualifications nor the same experience in this field and who constantly come to us to give lessons.
Repeating all the time the same tales and quotes, "Proofs, ABX, evidences, claims" that we've known since probably before them, to give themselves a posture instead of trying to learn.
The autoresponders, it tends to annoy everyone not to mention it is against the rules.

Well, you can find that scornful, haughty, or whatever you want (it is not), I needed to say it.

To be positive, and because it seems that this situation will never end and is improductive, has already flee many talented or famous audio designers, may I ask the moderators to try to find a solution to solve this problem by special rules for this thread ?
It is not that we should forbid such remarks, nor withdraw the right to speak to anyone, but a thread titled "The myths of high fidelity and other snake oils" would seem more appropriate et should avoid a signal/noise ratio close to white noise.

Last edited:
> The ADA4898-2 can get burning hot when one of it's inputs > is open. That would belong into the data sheet. At least it won't die on the spot. > mea maxima culpa. Gerhard

How on earth are going to clean that up?

To make it clear: the black hole on the board is not the result of an open op amp input. The ADA4898 can get quite hot and draw lots of current then. Same if you drive it into the rails, but it will survive. A misfeature, but not a show stopper.

The reason for the crater is the wire from the plus side of the wet slug tantalum to the inputs of the op amps. That was OK for measuring the noise of a 60 Ohm R versus an input short. The existing layout was not good enough above 600 KHz where the short circuit noise rose unexpectedly. Adding the wire mesh proved that this was skin effect.

What is not so correct was that I forgot to remove the wires again that bridged the input tantalum. Not when trying to measure the noise voltage of some Lithium cells.

I still have boards, cleaning up is just boring work and a new set of op amps :-(

regards Gerhard

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
......this forum (thread), which is, to my knowledge the only place on the internet, by chance, where audio professionals can exchange between each others, can share their experiences, learn from each others........

"The myths of high fidelity and other snake oils" would seem more appropriate et should avoid a signal/noise ratio close to white noise.
The Universe itself is pulsing with the rate of white noise...don't try to change the Universe :) What's Best Audio and Video Forum. The Best High End Audio Forum on the planet! at least i used to visit these two forums too and i can't say that there's a very different atmosphere than here...

DIYHiFi.org • Index page
Ad what a coincidence as this topic :

DIYHiFi.org • View topic - IDEA: Balanced variable gain preamp inspired by Wurcer Phono
led me to this topic: A simplified universal differential or single ended phono preamp
:)

While this forum Tapeheads.Net Home Page
led me to this topic: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/294165-opamp-survey-2.html#post4776130

Last edited:
The Universe itself is pulsing with the rate of white noise...
Are-you sure ? Looking at the sky with telescopes, universe seems to obey to some laws, that astronomers try to understand, and learn more and more, with modesty, constantly questioning what science thinks to know.
The courts of the inquisition have not produced great discoveries.
The "Claims" of Galilée, did.

[edit} Thanks a lot, dreamth, for those links. I will have a look.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Really? It took about 30sec. to spot several posters bragging about owning stuff from some of the worst snake oil vendors around (in their sig lines).
:)
In the last 10 years about 400 independent "high end" manufacturers apeared in EU, USA and China and they all claim interesting results, now we have the old dinosaurs getting upset as they found out that the new little dragons found new ways based on op-amps or cheap components measured with sound cards...
It's about a vanity fair in the end.
I consider the old term "hi-fi", derived from the german standard DIN 45500 , a lot more honest than many "high end" manufacturers.
No intended offence to you Scott, you look like a YOUNG dinosaur to me :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.