John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
my problem remains that his usual bibliography contains 8 of his own articles, a couple by Hawksford, and maybe one or two by Otala.

A disease often observed in authors from IBM, and also Texas Instruments, who submit to IEEE JSSC. As a reviewer I roasted their ahszhesses dozens of times, regrettably it sometimes had little effect (except rejection of revised manuscript).

The 797 bears not even the least similarity to the 5534 BTW, well it has an input and an output.
:)
The 5534 is a very good Swiss knife OMHO. And can drive lot of loads thanks to its current capability. It measure quite good as well. (some IC, now achieve incredible signal/distortion+noise ratios [Thanks Scott and few others], so why bother with old dinosaures ?).
The only problem is I always funded it sounding a little DULL. I don't know why.
Let-say it is a very good Pick-up, some should prefer super cars.
I used so many TL072, at a time, that I would have a bad time saying bad things about it. Works OK very few bucks. In some applications needs sometimes an output buffer.
I cannot understand why JC is so crossed against integrated circuits. They are everywhere and it is hard to live without.

Last edited:
T, I use IC's, even the 5534 for my cheaper stuff, but I always seem to be able to make something better from discretes, especially with jfets. In 1978 or so, I carefully compared the 5534 with one of my studio quality discrete op amps and heard the difference. I even wrote up the comparison in TAA, back 40 years ago. I WANT IC's to work perfectly, that is the problem. They don't, at least for audio.

Attachments

• 77 studio board.jpg
    77 studio board.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 313
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Why? You forgot one detail I pointed out yesterday, designing an amplifier for a fixed application the designer has the freedom to change the compensation to suit the closed loop gain and now the BW does not change.

yes, I agree in that sense.

I have offered scholarly reading material/books that covers CMA in great detail over at the C vs V mode and what it means. I am doing as simple a comment here as I can. I refer all to my suggested reading to that forum, pls.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
T, I use IC's, even the 5534 for my cheaper stuff, but I always seem to be able to make something better from discretes, especially with jfets. In 1978 or so, I carefully compared the 5534 with one of my studio quality discrete op amps and heard the difference. I even wrote up the comparison in TAA, back 40 years ago. I WANT IC's to work perfectly, that is the problem. They don't, at least for audio.
That was 40 years ago. What about now?

Jn

Account Closed
Joined 2010

Attachments

• m67.png
    m67.png
    151.3 KB · Views: 330
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Monster Products back in the glory days before the economy was crashed..... distributed 2-3 channel power amps. I over-saw the design. So they are all CMA. Build by the same mob (yr 2003) who is making mine from Damir's design. A good deal if found on e-Bay. .003% THD +N at 400W/4

These below are THD and THD plus Noise data of Damir's. 2017 test. Single ended input.

2 Ohm load

View attachment CFA 2 Ohm.pdf

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:

Attachments

• Marsh amp3.jpg
    Marsh amp3.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 284
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi Richard,
I can see now clearly that your amps are CFA and used balanced to unbalanced converter and not mine small H-bridge board as I use.
Could you tell what balanced to unbalanced board thy used here?
Best wishes,
Damir

Hi Damir --

It is not a single opamp converter IC. Uses 2 CFA IC amps only/channel -- Better specs. My design choice for its use.

Keeping amp in CFA mode always when using single-ended input. The only input I use for home apps.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.