John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try Paco Osuna, if you haven’t already, much of those recordings just on youtube are decent quality if not converted, just captured.

At least my kids are being exposed to enough low distortion acoustic music such that they should know the difference between good and bad sound/reproduction.

Thank you for that, I will listen to Paco Osuna over the weekend. ToS

No localisation with my speakers: everything seems to come from the center with a stereo "sound field".
Listening with my big system, I refund some localisation. But kind of blurred: I need instinctively to approach the speakers, near in the middle between them. And there, it is even better than with my headphones. Weird.
In fact, on my PC i had some kind of 3D effect processor in service, removing-it, it is like on my big system. Localisation is back with the binaural. Need here too a very opened angle.
The way it fulfill the space is interesting.

Last edited:
Still nothing like being there....

Which, depending on your appreciation of large crowds and their behaviour, may be a good thing. A very good thing. I still like moshpittable music.....

Plus, much modern music is established in the studio. Subsequently, musicians use all kinds of tricks like clickers to get the exact same sound on stage. The sound in your living room is the original.

So for musical experience, not going there may be a auditory blessing and save you on hospital bills.

Howie,

James Johnston is the guy behind perceptual coding. In developing the MP3 format he never considered it to be a lossless or high fidelity or quality format. He was one of the folks who actually wrote the spec. He was at Bell Labs at the time. Brandenburg did his post doc under him.

The Europeans (Fraunhofer) pulled this car, of course with lots of international inputs/ facilitation, also from Johnston. Try making your place great again while leaving history intact :).

Think and recall, those are what goes on in your head, just like imagination.

Nice try, Jakob1863 on other forum. :rolleyes:

Noted, that you seemed to be unable to repeat your "point" .....

As you´ve cited, "think" and "recall" are indeed there to indicate that i could have been wrong. :)
Compare it to your statements.

Furthermore, isn´t it outright hilarious that you of all people are constantly trying to "sell" your purely subjective "interpretations" as facts?

Fans of surrealism must truly love some of these forum discussions.......

Noted, that you seemed to be unable to repeat your "point" .....
Seemed to you, meaning that it's in your own mind.

As you´ve cited, "think" and "recall" are indeed there to indicate that i could have been wrong. :)
Compare it to your statements.

Furthermore, isn´t it outright hilarious that you of all people are constantly trying to "sell" your purely subjective "interpretations" as facts?

Fans of surrealism must truly love some of these forum discussions.......
Can you state that Jakob1863 on other forum is definitely not you?

What we hear in terms of phase distortion in hi fi reproduction has a long history. For over a century is was asserted that the ear was phase deaf. This was known as "Ohms Law of Acoustics". Haven't heard it lately have you? Still, back in history, like 1940, Paul Klipsch believed it (and continued to believe it until his death) and it made his K-horn seem more accurate than it really was. It was only with further research from Bell Labs and others (often disputed) that phase sensitivity became acceptable to audio design engineers. Richard Heyser was one of the first to write about it in AES lectures and in the JAES. Back in those days, 60's-70's, one could submit their findings an AES Convention, without the criticism and back-biting that usually happens today. In fact, that was the real reason the AES was formed: To allow engineers to put forth their ideas and measurements without a lot of interference from academic critics (often known for their closed mindedness). Alas, this venue was lost in the 80's when Dr. Lipshitz et al took over the AES publications. It has never been very useful ever since to an audio design engineer since then, because the censorship has gotten too strong and the requirements to even make a statement have become too stringent to bother trying. If conditions were different, phase problems would be more documented.

Others may choose to use the forum's ignore feature.
What good is all that when you don't keep your words?
but I have put people on my ignore list from time to time. Usually, they come off after awhile.
Okay, that makes more sense. I absolutely put mmerrill99 on my ignore list, likely more than once. That was not a case of only saying I would not communicate without using the ignore list too. That only happened with Joe.

Status
Not open for further replies.