John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
For some here, it isnt a hobby ... or not much... or once upon a time it was. Maybe.
No investment in time (or money) to improve it. Just listen to the music. Thats fine.

Not aware of many people who aren't into the hobby. From those who build everything from scratch to checkbook DIYers who pay others to do it all. Most of us are too poor/tight to just spaff $$$$ at the audio store after all.

For me I can list at least a dozen other things that need to be improved before my DACs so my priorities are clear.

Not aware of many people who aren't into the hobby. From those who build everything from scratch to checkbook DIYers who pay others to do it all. Most of us are too poor/tight to just spaff $$$$ at the audio store after all.

For me I can list at least a dozen other things that need to be improved before my DACs so my priorities are clear.

Guys like me aren't exactly hobbyists! Rumor has it you can actually make a living in this field.

As to blind testing, one of the things I find handy are the honesty detection tests. "Do you prefer A or B? Do you prefer A or C? Do you prefer B or C?" A,A,B = valid, B,A,C = not valid. Obviously the honesty verification questions should be buried in the other tests and not always in sequence. The other test is "Do you prefer A or B? Do you prefer B or A?"

Last edited:
<snip>
As to blind testing, one of the things I find handy are the honesty detection tests. "Do you prefer A or B? Do you prefer A or C? Do you prefer B or C?" A,A,B = valid, B,A,C = not valid. Obviously the honesty verification questions should be buried in the other tests and not always in sequence. <snip>

The "valid" "not valid" distinction can only be made if transitivity is ensured in a test or test sequence.
In one-dimensional (directional) tests it will work as described but not so in multidimensional tests.

So if a test uses multidimensional evaluation (as listening to music and asking for a preference is) transitivity is not given, because in each comparison different criteria (along different dimensions) might be choosen for the preference decision.

Last edited:
Guys like me aren't exactly hobbyists! Rumor has it you can actually make a living in this field.

As to blind testing, one of the things I find handy are the honesty detection tests. "Do you prefer A or B? Do you prefer A or C? Do you prefer B or C?" A,A,B = valid, B,A,C = not valid. Obviously the honesty verification questions should be buried in the other tests and not always in sequence. The other test is "Do you prefer A or B? Do you prefer B or A?"
I agree, I like to run three way test sets for subjective test cross checking, and also as objective test cross checking.
Experimental errors are revealed (confounder changes caused by the likes of connections or grounds or change in AC mains noise etc can be discriminated), false positives are culled and correct positives are reinforced.

Dan.

Last edited:
I can do matched level if someone wants.
With what device?
But, I prefer to give the listener the ability to control volume so they can find out what happens when one or the other speaker is a little bit louder than the other (just not so loud so as to mask the details of either speaker).
You don't seem to understand what level matching is when comparing audio electronic components.
If we can get that far, I ask them to listen for what didn't change with a small volume level change. Too many people think about frequency response and overly focus on that while ignoring too many other things. Then the 'invisible gorilla' effect occurs. People can't see the gorilla because they are too busy counting up and trying to hold in memory how many passes of the ball one or both teams make during the game. Same type of thing can happen with listening: too much attention focused on the wrong things like frequency response or 'sound stage' (whatever that is), if trying to understand what different dacs, filters, jitter, etc., do to the sound.
What does that have to do with level matched double blind listening test?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I think the level matching suggestion is WAY over blown. If it is a LIKE contest, you might like the louder as fuller, deeper bass heard. Some like that. If the louder causes your ear to distort more, then you might not like it.

Somethings being listened FOR dont change with small level changes. Or even larger level differences. Sound stage doesnt change its character much with small differences in level.

If listening for Accuracy and you learn to compare to real acoustic sounds, you can more easily determine which DUT is more accurate reproduction.

-RNM

Joined 2014
Paid Member
If I have 90 minutes free of an evening and chose 70 of them to listen to music and 20 to poke something with a soldering iron I feel that entitles me to say music comes first?

If I can get my electrostatics headphones hooked back up then I might be able to do both, which would be bliss.

Status
Not open for further replies.