John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is one of the difficulties in understanding wires and cables, there is simply not enough studies. This Conductivity_Copper.pdf document shows C15100 exhibiting a 5% difference between annealed and rolled. Perhaps break in would have discernible effect on improperly annealed (and crap grade) wires?

When I make a magnet using very high purity annealed copper (5 or 6 nines), extreme care is required to not work it. There are no room temperature tests I can perform to determine if I've altered the metal structure or conductivity. The only test possible is at liquid helium temps where the mean free path climbs to 5 to 10 centimeters and I can measure the resistance.
I wish I could measure at room, finding a problem there is far less expensive.

J

Joined 2016
Paid Member
That is one of the difficulties in understanding wires and cables, there is simply not enough studies. This Conductivity_Copper.pdf document shows C15100 exhibiting a 5% difference between annealed and rolled. Perhaps break in would have discernible effect on improperly annealed (and crap grade) wires?

But, as DF96 says, that change of conductivity, even if it occurred, would only cause a problem with a cable in a badly designed system.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Now someone else is trying to bring numbers into this discussion.

I don't quite get the flow of logic from "copper crystals can migrate" to 'audio cables need burn-in'. What is the change in conductance and linearity during this migration? Does LIGO or CERN do cable burn-in?

Thats why it took CERN a couple of years to nail the HB - burn in! So obvious.

//

... extreme care is required to not work it. ...
Thank you John, valuable information.
There probably are enough studies
Perhaps Matt, available to practitioners like JN. Unfortunately does not seem so to many others in this thread. A clear understanding would have extinguished all the brouhaha we see over the years. The references cited by Lockheed Martin as explanation for RAAF would be interesting.

Last edited:
Thank you John, valuable information.

Perhaps Matt, available to practitioners like JN. Unfortunately does not seem so to many others in this thread. A clear understanding would have extinguished all the brouhaha we see over the years. The references cited by Lockheed Martin as explanation for RAAF would be interesting.

I am confident that somebody in the RAAF read something about wire directionality, then became fixated on it. Rather than tell the customer they were stupid, some smart upper management person at LM had a engineer come up with a high falutin techy sounding explanation. That tells the customer that they are indeed smart, but that that level of science isn't needed. And, it keeps the production line running.
So, it wasn't scientific skills but rather, people skills.

J
Ps. For the most part, I'll just use google scholar. Work related pubs and articles are generally easy to find. It's only stuff I've reviewed that I cannot discuss in detail, so that would apply to all reviewers as well. Conductor directionality however, has never shown itself in anything I have ever been involved in or reviewed. But perhaps audio is much more demanding?

Last edited:
Yes, I agree.

The attached images show a good coax cable, 1m, once terminated with BNC and second terminated with "good" RCA. The biggest difference is in the inductive peak (red trace), that shows discontinuity introduced by the RCA connectors.

So, have you tried that with a twisted pair to see if the BNC is just superior, or if it is purely quality of coax termination?

My issue here is despite measurements, subjectively I haven’t heard any coax pass muster.

So, have you tried that with a twisted pair to see if the BNC is just superior, or if it is purely quality of coax termination?

My issue here is despite measurements, subjectively I haven’t heard any coax pass muster.

Twisted pair will be even farther away from rca impedance. It's not a good test for reflections as the results are already predicted.
Capacitance is more signicant.
J

No. As long as an amplifier will drive a speaker, this has no meaning the way you seems to see it.
Compare a flat amplifier with an other that is not linear at all, but compensate the accidents in the response curve of this speaker. Witch one is better ? The one with the less "degree of faithfulness" as you say.

If an amplifier with a lot of distortion is the one that produce the more "natural" or enjoyable sound, witch one is the best ?

When you mix a record, you do it, referring your work on a speaker's system, with the room acoustic of the studio. The best system, at home, the one that will reproduce this mix in the most accurate way is ... the exact same imperfect system. Not a perfect one that do not exists anyway.

it is like cars. Performance numbers on the paper do not tell a lot about the way you will feel on the road. And it is not sure at all that the formula one with the best numbers will win the next race.

You are living in a marvelous but utopian world (on my opinion). The nature has endowed us with senses to perceive the outside world. It is not totally stupid, in hifi as for the rest, to use them to compare the "accuracy" of the sound artifacts that is music reproduction with the idea of the real thing that you can have, that depends on *your* culture.
Oh, yes, culture, subjectivity ....

Numbers are good, it helps during a design process, but it is only the middle of the way. And that is to be welcomed, it would be so boring, otherwise, and this forum would not exists.
I wasn't referring to definitions in your own mind. You are free to speak a different language but you won't be able to communicate with others who speak the industry standard language.

Conductor directionality however, has never shown itself in anything I have ever been involved in or reviewed. But perhaps audio is much more demanding?

That must be it. I just wish folks would stop thinking of those poor little electrons trying to get past all those defects, maybe if they get tucked away in a corner the demon has trouble finding them.

Gpapag, I am not here to PROVE anything to you. I found, after many hours of research and a fair amount of cost, a solid measurement that shows how EASY copper and other similar metals can actually migrate, even just being at room temperature. This is what this treatise shows.
First and foremost, I trust my ears and the ears of my associates. From there I have attempted to find measurements in the literature that can show that what my associates and I hear is actually possibly measurable. Gpapag, you have it backwards, you want MEASUREMENTS to prove what you can hear. We hear first, then try to measure or to find a parallel experiment that shows what is possible. After all a clean copper sheet just sitting at room temperature is very far from the many amps insisted on by others here. Now, attempt to extrapolate to what might happen under an electron microscope with electric current flowing. If you cannot, then I will not discuss the situation with you further.
Some people here are trying to PROVE a NEGATIVE. Lots of luck!

My comments in red

Gpapag, I am not here to PROVE anything to you. Actually, you are. You are trying to prove that wires break in and are directional by pulling an experiment entirely out of context. He has shown you with red lines, that you did not state what the actual experimenter did. I found, after many hours of research and a fair amount of cost, a solid measurement that shows how EASY copper and other similar metals can actually migrate, even just being at room temperature. This is what this treatise shows. That is all it shows. It does not show break in, nor does it show directionality.
First and foremost, I trust my ears and the ears of my associates. From there I have attempted to find measurements in the literature that can show that what my associates and I hear is actually possibly measurable. Gpapag, you have it backwards, you want MEASUREMENTS to prove what you can hear. We hear first, then try to measure or to find a parallel experiment that shows what is possible. After all a clean copper sheet just sitting at room temperature is very far from the many amps insisted on by others here. Now, attempt to extrapolate to what might happen under an electron microscope with electric current flowing.He did. He provided electro migration. And it is real indeed. However, not at the current densities that copper wires can survive at when insulated. If you cannot, then I will not discuss the situation with you further.
Some people here are trying to PROVE a NEGATIVE. Lots of luck!
You on the other hand, have pulled out of context, a result which is not anywhere close to what you are ascribing to it. And claim that it explains what you hear. Which of course, it does not. And then, you want us to prove you are incorrect. Well, that was the easy part, George just read the material you made claims with and underlined what you misread.

We don't need a book from 1991 nowadays, the ability to look at electrons and atoms as they are moving in the materials is already possible, movies have been taken and put out there. The technology has significantly improved in the last 28 years. Maybe you can ask your "associates" to use the latest generation of equipment to prove you are right.. IIRC, there is a functional nano materials center near you, no? I recall there being five supported by the DOE.

jn

Last edited:
What I am doing here is offering my professional and personal opinion as to what makes better audio quality over the typical mid fi performance. My opinions have been formed over many decades with dozens of good listeners, some of whom often heard better than I normally could, but whom I trust. My former business partner, Bob Crump, was such a person. I learned a lot from him, including serious break-in protocols that he implemented when we did CES shows together for many years. I do not go to such extremes, but then I can't duplicate a CTC Blowtorch today for the same reason, and I doubt than anyone else can either. Of course, something different could be better, but we hit on a strong series of decisions that put us up against the entire World in quality preamp design, and we normally won independent 'shootouts' or comparisons with other quality preamps. Without Bob, I cannot accurately reproduce the CTC Blowtorch preamp, but there are about 45+ out there, so one might be available, usually when someone dies and the unit goes on the open market. That is the only way.
Now, of course, I have designed Parasound, Constellation, and Audible Illusions products but they well never match the CTC Blowtorch completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.