John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are curious there is a thread about them in analogue source.
I had read the whole thread with appetite I love what you did. Refreshing, and the way DIY has to be done, OMHO, if someone is looking for "fun" and thrill ;-).
Thanks for this good moments.
At the time I played with them, rubber was very fresh, and my Euphonics where not so demanding for vertical force.
I found, at that time, after equalisation, that they sounded quite well and natural. Nothing shining, but nothing wrong: quite neutral and quite noiseless at this time where transistors noises was a problem.
Oh Lord, 50 years back !!!!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm pretty happy with the results. :D

Hard to know how much the compliance has decreased over the decades, but they were always on the low end. The 460/465 require rather high tracking forces and very heavy arms, and seem to work well where SPU GM and GM E II previously lived. The 451C has significantly higher compliance and will track OK at 2.7gms - these work very well indeed on my two ET arms.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I used to use a Luxman T-110 modded with AD744's as ouputs. Funny story our CEO brought me his Kenwood with a drifty cap in the AFC to fix. My boss's boss walked in later and basically said what the f are you doing on our time.

Too funny! I had a very similar experience, since the individual who asked me for help also owned the company I invited the complainant to take it up with a certain Dr. person. Last I ever heard about it, and that person never, ever bothered me again.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Reminds me of the time I visited SY and, having forgotten my medicine, he took me to his family doctor to see what he was willing to do.
We got to talk, inevitably about audio, and after half an hour I got a generous supply of free pills while SY ended up with the good doctors' defect Luxman with the request to 'take a look at it'. One man's ceiling and all that.

Jan

Joined 2014
Paid Member
In Stereophile I generally read the first paragraph of a review then the measurements. I do enjoy JA trying to explain away why a very expensive effects box was gushed over. Luckily every so often they love something that also has excellent measurements (Parasound and Pass for example).

It is a shame that they will never review the JBL M2 for various entertainment reasons :)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
JA is a subjective reviewer, but also had a degree in Physics. He introduced measurements into stereophile after a bit of a fight with JGH and is trying to find correlation between measurements and subjective opinion.

What is useful is the large archive of measurements done by the same person in the same room. This is valuable to all.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
John Atkinson wrote an article for Linear Audio about his views on what a good review should be as well as what he wants to accomplish with a review, what he wants to give the reader.

He really is a tech editor and while we all know that a magazine with no advertisements will die a quick death, John does an admirable balancing job.

The continued availability of Stereophile is his personal achievement.

Jan

Attachments

• atkinson.PNG
    atkinson.PNG
    46.6 KB · Views: 219
yuck.
Don’t underestimate the Force. Call-me Dolby. I am your father. Now, it is time to join the dark side of the force, young jedi.

Few more words about this joke. (That is, of course, just my humble opinion)

When digital arrived on the market, Dolby was in a bad situation. No need any more for their systems used to reduce the hisses of the tapes, like dbx.
>96sB of signal/noise ratio with Digital, go figure ;-)

Defeated int the pro audio musical market, then even in the consumer one with the CD, they had the brilliant idea to invade the cinema galaxy, unexplored at this time and pretty primitive in Audio. Proposing a very expensive full system of noise reduction and pseudo ambiophonic coding into the stereo tape/optical tracks .
As it was pure junk, the mixing engineers were obliged to monitor their work across the same system than the ones installed in the theaters. Only way to trick the flaws at the source when they occur.
This, very intelligently, came with a campaign to give a hipe image to this junk, and both the studios and the theaters were obliged to pledge allegiance to the company, had their installation "approved" after to had purchased the expensive "secret" and magical proprietary equipment.

Everything I can read about QNA indicates that they had simply copied this strategy, adding the secret of their cooking recipes that achieve a lossy lossless compression.
Who needs this, apart the owner of Meridian Audio to can buy a bigger yacht ?

Status
Not open for further replies.