John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Who's up for coming clean about their system? Show me yours and I'll show you mine.....

I recommend we start a thread somewhere else. I'm delighted to share pictures of my system with anyone interested, but this probably is not the thread to do it in.

Hint two of my sources. Cartridges are strain gauge types.

Attachments

• 01-Mar-18.jpg
    01-Mar-18.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 20180302_215216.jpg
    20180302_215216.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 254
Look at JA's measurements of an unnamed (by me) amplifier in Stereophile's current edition. Maybe distortion mismanagement would be better.

If it's the one I'm think I am looking at... JA thinks it measures fairly well. (price $4.9k)

The climb in the high frequencies makes me curious, along with the mostly 3HD.

From pics it makes me think that the focus was on thermal management to get a sort of lazy consistency in linearity, while not really caring where the HD itself floats to... ?

We'll I am finally back on my feet. (Achilles' tendon.) as soon as I clear my desk I can post the actual distortion measurements of a sampling of capacitors under different signals and loads.

Rather busy time at the office. Getting broken was not a good idea. Flame at the grocery pushed his cart into me while waiting in the checkout line three times. First a glance back, then a stare finally an offer to put him in the cart. He then moved back a foot. Don't know if all grocery carts have a bottom shelf 4" off the floor. Maximum impact is 2.5" from the bottom of the foot. Allowing for shoes....

Problem didn't show up that evening. Next morning however... Just call me boot and cane for the next few weeks.

Surprisingly not very painful!

We'll I am finally back on my feet. (Achilles' tendon.) as soon as I clear my desk I can post the actual distortion measurements of a sampling of capacitors under different signals and loads.

Rather busy time at the office. Getting broken was not a good idea. Flame at the grocery pushed his cart into me while waiting in the checkout line three times. First a glance back, then a stare finally an offer to put him in the cart. He then moved back a foot. Don't know if all grocery carts have a bottom shelf 4" off the floor. Maximum impact is 2.5" from the bottom of the foot. Allowing for shoes....

Problem didn't show up that evening. Next morning however... Just call me boot and cane for the next few weeks.

Surprisingly not very painful!

Get well soon, Ed.

Also, to your measurements, if you take some pictures of your test setup and throw in schematics of what you're doing (scribbles will do), we may yet save ourselves a couple hundred posts arguing about what you tested. :)

The rest of the stations here.... Typical compressed to pancake level gunk.
This, the huge suite of various gears the musical signal crosses, the musical sources which are often originally recorded in hard disks with lossy compression, the effects the radios add to their programs to create a "sound signature" ... there is not a great luck to hope from any "hifi" from Fm radios.

It is an other pleasure, to can listen to tunes you do not know and do not expect or to be immersed in the nice atmosphere of a well programmed radio.
As I said, I prefer to listen to it in my car, or at home across a little system, than on my main one that enlight all the 'defects' like under a magnifying glass. Most of the time, I simply cannot abide the DJ voice: too loud, too "boomy".

And please, don't blame my tuner or my FM antenna on the roof. The problem is in the source.

... Get well soon, Simon...

Last edited:
No, they were made by Panasonic/Technics which evolved a bit from the Euphonics and are a lot more reliable, they were one of the available cartridges for CD-4 playback.. If you are curious there is a thread about them in analogue source.
Oh, thanks a lot. I was very pleased with my Euphonics at this time (but may-be I am more demanding todays). Their tracking ability was incredible.
Oh, by the way, Do Panasonic/Technics made ones with their "P-Mount" ?

p-mount.gif

Sorry you were injured. I do have one request, if you disagree with what Samuel Groner has posted please elaborate. For me there is a ready list of fairly "blameless" capacitors at <$1 and rehashing how bad some RF bypass capacitors can be when used as input coupling on an amplifier is old news.

And yes as Daniel suggests, presenting things as independently verifiable experiments is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.