John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are judging preference then hi-fi is not your interest. Hi-fi means high fidelity. High fidelity to what? It can only be the original sound. What other 'original' can there be?
Well, if my preference is for more perceived realism to the playback illusion, I consider that the goal - irrespective of the terms used to describe it (which can often shackle one's thinking)

You can only judge how much this illusion sounds like a violin/piano if you know what a violin/piano sounds like in real life; people are not born knowing what a violin/piano sounds like.
Yes, agree completely
Ideally, that performer playing that violin/piano in real life.
Mostly, ideals are not possible to achieve in life & I would suggest in audio playback systems, also
My own experience is that live instruments sometimes sound 'rougher' (i.e. less pleasant!) than recorded instruments. A hi-fi enthusiast wants to reproduce that roughness, even though it sounds worse. That may seem strange to some.
We are also dealing with an art form in the recording of music - it's not a slavish recording of the sounds of the performance - all aspects of the sound are most likely manipulated as part of this art form so like all art forms we are not being served raw reality but a more palatable & hopefully more meaningful version/interpretation.

What that tells me is one (or possibly both) of the following:
1. most of the speakers were sufficiently bad that their distortions were audible
2. most people prefer the same distortions
Given that transducers remain the weak point of audio option 1 is not surprising.
Given the popularity of low power SET with little or no feedback option 2 is not surprising.
Hmmm, that seems a very restricted set of conclusions - maybe if I gave you a link you might find other possibilities?
Are Our Preferences Different in Audio? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Last edited:
I think that's stretching it since to me judgement requires a conscious effort. And it's not perceiving it is more realistic, it's making it seem more realistic, if that makes sense?

Well, I would suggest that what emerges into consciousness is the result of the evaluation/analyses that has happened subconsciously (in the auditory processing centers & other higher functioning areas)

Nobody finds any problem with the so called "accurate reproduction"?

I feel the accepted norm to justify accuracy in audio amplifiers is way outdated. Nobody I know of has the ability to directly perceive audio in the form of elecrical signal.

Due to the known issues of tranducer and air induced distorton, accuracy description of amplifiers exclusively on electrical standards is downright misleading, no longer holds water, leads to incorrect assumptions and could be considered fraudulent.

Describing an amplifier performing in a system exhibiting lower distortion measured at listening position as more accurate makes better sense.

Yes, others have said the same but AFAIR few if any have actually stated what I misinterpreted/misunderstood - just simply made that accusation & disengaged from the dialogue.
I think they may get frustrated. You are obviously a very quick intelligent guy, I wonder (I'm trying to be helpful) if sometimes you are a bit too quick when it comes to reading and interpreting what people have written. Personally I often have to read things a few times to hopefully understand what's being said. This thread tests my understanding, and most of the time I stay out of it! But it's fun here, it's the lounge......chill :cool:

I think they may get frustrated. You are obviously a very quick intelligent guy, I wonder (I'm trying to be helpful) if sometimes you are a bit too quick when it comes to reading and interpreting what people have written. Personally I often have to read things a few times to hopefully understand what's being said. This thread tests my understanding, and most of the time I stay out of it! But it's fun here, it's the lounge......chill :cool:
Yea, I have misunderstood in the past from too quick a reading but if I pick it up on re-reading I try to correct my mistake.

This section should be called "The kitchen" as i find that is often where the most interesting discussions & chilling happen at a party :)

Please stop feeding the trolls, honestly. And don't confuse ostensible intelligence from genuine. Or have a read up on the "Gish Gallop". There's a reason any number of us got frustrated.

Morin the 9th: go on, I thought it was that we didn't use enough slew rate to have full power bandwidth out into ADSL communication frequencies? Get your stories straight, man!

Last edited:
Nobody finds any problem with the so called "accurate reproduction"?

I feel the accepted norm to justify accuracy in audio amplifiers is way outdated. Nobody I know of has the ability to directly perceive audio in the form of elecrical signal.

Due to the known issues of tranducer and air induced distorton, accuracy description of amplifiers exclusively on electrical standards is downright misleading, no longer holds water, leads to incorrect assumptions and could be considered fraudulent.

Describing an amplifier performing in a system exhibiting lower distortion measured at listening position as more accurate makes better sense.
As I mentioned before, KSTR outlined his method & it seems as if it should be one of the most powerful - subtracting the input signal from the output signal & analyzing the reside - after all what we are perceiving is in the signal somewhere - it's just a matter of uncovering it.

But this apparently well-done differential testing takes a lot of care & thought Is there more to Audio Measurements?

As has been observed, much of what we might listen to is not an illusion at all, if it was not live or acoustic in nature.

Yes, it's often a studio created art form using audio as the palette but it still uses manipulation techniques to create an auditory illusion as deemed satisfactory by the recording engineer & producer. The same happens with live recordings too - seldom are they raw, un-manipulated by the recording engineer.

The illusion is an illusion of a realistic/believeable soundscape (not necessarily a real event) usually based on psychoacoustic techniques understood & known to work i.e in all of us our auditory perception perceives certain sonic cues in the same way.

It's not that much different (in general terms) from what we see in video/tv playback - the images are not all created from actual recordings of events - blue screen is often used, CGI too (or whatever the modern techniques are). These techniques are evaluated as a better illusion by our visual perception mechanism as they have ticked more of the characteristics that our visual perception has internally stored as models of the behavior of real world objects.

Similarly, the various video playback systems have their own qualities as regards how well they render the digital signal into a realistic video stream - for instance on LCD screens some fast moving images can produce display motion blur or a black background appears as banded (color banding), etc

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Robert,
Pleasing distortion works to distract the listener from power supply compression. Take away the power supply compression and the pleasing distortion isn't needed.
A good many of us are well beyond power supply issues. Something like that is well known, it's not a secret anymore. So don't treat us like children at design camp.
It's all about leading edge transient capture.
A second ago it was about power supplies. It all matters, but you are trying to lead with two arguments while declaring one as all important.

-Chris

Kindly read what was posted before making a hasty answer. :)

Hasty answer coming .....:D

I did read what you posted & my understanding of it was that you felt measurements at amplifier output & declaring accuracy was bordering on fraudulent - that speaker & air distortions (including speaker interaction with the amplifier) should be taken into account & the measured soundfield at the listeners position should be the criteria. Is my summary correct?

I agree with the fact that what hits the ears are the air vibrations created electro-mechanically by the speakers & the upstream electronics (I don't think air distortion has any real bearing). I agree that these air vibrations are what is turned into nerve impulses in the auditory system & give rise to our auditory perception.

No disagreement with you so far

All I was saying is that IMO, a more sensitive/accurate measurement, using real music as test signal would seem to be a powerful method to reveal the "accuracy" or otherwise of the amplifier in isolation but requires careful setup & thought.

I believe there is more to discover about amplifier accuracy & more to be discovered about the accuracy of different electrical devices in the replay chain when handling dynamic music signals (before we even get to the speaker transducer).

Btw, I also agree with you about the importance of the stability of the power supply & leading edge or attack stage of sounds.

Maybe, this explains my post better?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi mmerrill99,
As I mentioned before, KSTR outlined his method & it seems as if it should be one of the most powerful - subtracting the input signal from the output signal & analyzing the reside - ...
That's really odd. This is exactly what the diff pair does. Amazing!

Many of us analyse the residuals from a distortion analyser. I have for decades, it can tell you a lot.

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.