John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure quite what they were trying to achieve. Good to see some of the escapees from here over there tho.

Me either, amplifying only the distortion by 100X relative to the signal is one way to actually measure the distortion but as a listening test of the amplifiers in an actual application relatively meaningless. It starts with this nonsense so I have a hard time paying much attantion.

Starting from the middle, they use two of the same op-amps, both programmed to have 40 dB of gain. The second one however is in inverting configuration so backs out the actual gain of the first one, resulting in no gain at all.

No the first amp is a follower with a noise (error) gain of 100 but a signal gain of plus 1, as for what "backs out the actual gain" means your guess is as good as mine and "no gain at all" means nothing out in my book.

Last edited:
It is very possible. Amir was the major domo for the forum I was a member of. Did they change the name, or did the old one die, or does he have two?

I noted that some of the members on the ASR forum are the same monikers I recall from back then. So yah, could be me in a state of confusion...a very familiar place for me..:confused:

jn

Then the other forum was probably the whatsbestforum; both with different approaches, the newer one has attracted a certain kind of members claiming to be interested in a more scientific approach.....

It is very possible. Amir was the major domo for the forum I was a member of. Did they change the name, or did the old one die, or does he have two?

I noted that some of the members on the ASR forum are the same monikers I recall from back then. So yah, could be me in a state of confusion...a very familiar place for me..:confused:

jn

The vast majority of people on WBF wanted Amir gone. So Steven and Amir parted ways. Then Amir made ASR.

If you ask me, Amir was being a total prick. He's a hegeler, so he can be painfully adamant at making you wrong while offering nothing or also totally incorrect information... I'm not saying there are any guilt free parties, but I can't stand when Amir goes off on a hegel tirade. Maybe if he could actually measure something correctly or understand the electronics better it would be productive.

Derfy,
How many keys on a piano? How many octaves do the fundamental tones cover?

Can you think of a simple masking experiment?

In my opamp test there is a voltage divider input and the the opamp gain to get back to a voltage gain of 1. Opamps are occasionally used at gains of unity or voltage gains of 100. But I use 10 for my tests. So far no one has failed to note the internal double check(s).

That is what I like to do. But measuring without it leading to audible improvement seems to miss the point. And with SY and others, you cant tell if anything really makes an audible difference to them without each change going thru a rigorous DBLT. So, 'in the end' it amounts to very little gain in achieving a more accurate system and we are left with what we have now.

So, learning to both listen critically and measuring seems to be the reasonable and practical thing to do. Sure you might fail often but the successes are worth it IMHO. Failure is reduced by listening in the near field and by experience.

THx-RNMarsh

:up:

Learning to mastering critical listening is difficult task. I knew it when I started to improve my amplifiers. Several friends (professional sound engineer, judge of audio car competition, etc) gave me some feedback when they review my amplifiers. So, I have idea where (which specification) to improve.

Learning electronic is much more easier ;) :D

Derfy,
How many keys on a piano? How many octaves do the fundamental tones cover?

Can you think of a simple masking experiment?

In my opamp test there is a voltage divider input and the the opamp gain to get back to a voltage gain of 1. Opamps are occasionally used at gains of unity or voltage gains of 100. But I use 10 for my tests. So far no one has failed to note the internal double check(s).

88 keys; 7 octaves and a minor third if I'm remembering correctly.

Using said piano, a tidy masking experiment is to check the tuning of your piano and how well it can produce perfect fifths all the way across its range. All the harmonics should be sitting on top of each other. Be interesting to see where we get sensitive to the strings being out of tune.

RIAA circuits are typically the one spot in an audio playback you'd see high gains. Mic preamps another. Instrumentation/lab preamps are a different ballgame. :) I'm sure there's some oddly designed filter sequence that needs substantial gain, but in general, most consumer electronics are < 30 dB gain. As I said, pumping the gain and then attenuation (or noise gain for that matter), will do well to heighten the noise and distortion out of a circuit. If that's what's needed to make things audible, that's reassuring, as, for what dorking around I've done on audio circuits, I haven't made anything needing that kind of gain. Am I that far afield?

Using said piano, a tidy masking experiment is to check the tuning of your piano and how well it can produce perfect fifths all the way across its range. All the harmonics should be sitting on top of each other. Be interesting to see where we get sensitive to the strings being out of tune.

Number of keys depends on the piano that you play, there is
something special about a Bosendorfer with 97 keys. :)

A piano is more that just tuned, one has to set is temperament too.
Then, how do you tune your middle C, 261.6Hz vs harmonic tuning
using 523.3? Use square waves to help set the higher harmonics?

Cheers,

RIAA circuits are typically the one spot in an audio playback you'd see high gains. Mic preamps another. Instrumentation/lab preamps are a different ballgame. :) I'm sure there's some oddly designed filter sequence that needs substantial gain, but in general, most consumer electronics are < 30 dB gain. As I said, pumping the gain and then attenuation (or noise gain for that matter), will do well to heighten the noise and distortion out of a circuit. If that's what's needed to make things audible, that's reassuring, as, for what dorking around I've done on audio circuits, I haven't made anything needing that kind of gain. Am I that far afield?

The Railsback curve of piano tuning shows your idea will not work
Piano acoustics - Wikipedia

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Railsback curve of piano tuning shows your idea will not work
Piano acoustics - Wikipedia

I know, but I wanted to have fun staying with the piano theme. And the magnitude of the curve is less on a concert grand than an upright. 30/1200 of an octave is still probably outside the masking window, but in the middle of the tuning...

PS thanks, George and rip Arny.

Status
Not open for further replies.