John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Bimo for the link to the audiosciencereview website. I joined! For some time I, like T, and several others, have found that debate here is not very productive, but I still like the links that many of you put forth. Personally, I am still designing amps and preamps, and I have to follow the design rules that I sometimes find challenging, that I have latched on to over the years.
As far as a line cord for the CTC Blowtorch: We (Bob Crump in particular) made custom AC cords for each Blowtorch. I never did an A-B test, but I use his cords, with a Bybee powerline conditioner.
I did try to eliminate any AC interaction, but I am pretty sure that improvements could still be made with improvement of the AC, especially less RFI input on the AC line.

Careful John, it's a den of objectivists there. Arny K, SY, Ethan Winer etc are all there. And they actually measure equipement and discuss measurements.
I especially liked the power cable thread. Page 28, they're explaining how the copper lattice changes when exposed to very cold, gosh, minus 200 degrees. :eek: and, how the colder the better, holy mackerel, even liquid nitrogen!!!

Gosh.

We should find somebody with say, 25 years experience testing things to very high accuracies in liquid helium and liquid nitrogen, and explain to him all about this stuff, as they've clearly missed this.
Course, the guy who had Romex cryoed should probably pull the wire out of service and replace it with new that hasn't had the insulation compromised. Bog standard pvc does not handle LN2 temperature well, I've no idea what cryo treated cable minimum bend radius becomes, NEC does not have a table for stupidity.
Jn

Last edited:
Things to note about the study:
1. Did I understand that it's 4x 40db gain inverting opamps with padding? Perhaps useful to gain up the distortion products but is that a relevant use case? Maybe in mixing consoles. Rest of us aren't running 4x riaa preamps.

2. That's very close to a null result if I'm looking at it honestly. There needs to be asked how likely it is to have a consistent preference across a sequence of 20 comparisons. Does that distribution of trials end up looking like random variation? Even if not random, it's pretty small effect.

If you join the test, may be you say all op-amp sound same :D

Thanks Bimo for the link to the audiosciencereview website. I joined! For some time I, like T, and several others, have found that debate here is not very productive, but I still like the links that many of you put forth.
Been a member there maybe 10 years. I found the science and theory to be reasonably decent, but nothing to write home about. For high level discussion, it was kind of lacking firepower. So, haven't posted there in perhaps five years or so. (Numbers may be off a tad, but not by much).

Following bimo's link, I do not see much of a change. Trying to be all technical like, but not floating my boat. Cryo conditioning stuff..sheesh, lumping electron conduction in with engine block and firearm steel treatment below the martensite finish temperature.. Makes me want to stuff his face into an actual metallurgical textbook. Read something darn it!!

Jn

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Careful John, it's a den of objectivists there. Arny K, SY, Ethan Winer etc are all there. And they actually measure equipement and discuss measurements.

That is what I like to do. But measuring without it leading to audible improvement seems to miss the point. And with SY and others, you cant tell if anything really makes an audible difference to them without each change going thru a rigorous DBLT. So, 'in the end' it amounts to very little gain in achieving a more accurate system and we are left with what we have now.

So, learning to both listen critically and measuring seems to be the reasonable and practical thing to do. Sure you might fail often but the successes are worth it IMHO. Failure is reduced by listening in the near field and by experience.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
That is what I like to do. But measuring without it leading to audible improvement seems to miss the point. And with SY and others, you cant tell if anything really makes an audible difference to them without each change going thru a rigorous DBLT. So, 'in the end' it amounts to very little gain in achieving a more accurate system and we are left with what we have now.

So, learning to both listen critically and measuring seems to be the reasonable and practical thing to do. Sure you might fail often but the successes are worth it IMHO. Failure is reduced by listening in the near field and by experience.
:up:

The above mentioned have never presented personal subjective appraisals of audio equipment AFAIR.
Siegfried Linkwitz did give subjective opinions but I have never seen calls to him to prove his findings/opinions by DBLT.

Dan.

Do you confuse two forums?
Afair the audiosciencereview.com forum was established in 2016....

It is very possible. Amir was the major domo for the forum I was a member of. Did they change the name, or did the old one die, or does he have two?

I noted that some of the members on the ASR forum are the same monikers I recall from back then. So yah, could be me in a state of confusion...a very familiar place for me..:confused:

jn

What is also of interest is how the masking may change as a result of much higher amplitudes. 100 dB? When I'm listening to Zep, or Cheryl Lynn, or even Bruno Mars, the only time I reach 100 dB spl is just before I put the needle in the groove...
I suspect that as the inner ear muscles contract due to high amplitudes, the masking curves may also change. I would expect the transfer function to the cochlea is altered as a result of changing spring constants.

Course at my age, the muscles have gone south for the winter..:eek:

Jn

Good news!
That muscle issue can be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.