John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many studies and subjects were there, and do they represent all 7.5 billion people on Earth? ;)
According to a sales representative of some audio business, not enough money has been spent on studies of what people hear and therefore we cannot rule out the audibility claims of DACs made by him and others. :p

Well, music serves many different purposes for different people and occasions. Pleasant to some can be irritating to others. I can't stand the way some kids enjoy their music. :)
Music sure can, but you aren't talking about the reproduction of it.

First of all, there are no images of the FR of the main speaker and that of the individual tweeter. How do both cooperate, amplify or eliminate each other around crossover ?

All I've seen were quite rude response curves especially in the 1991 convention paper; I have to look if some additional information was available. Despite the quite steep filters used (96 or 170dB/oct) some kind of interference will have taken place.

wasn't the tweeter active all the time as an constant addition to the main speaker,.....
Not sure, what that means as it was presumably active but not getting a signal in the lowpass filtered case?!

and why wasn't the signal coming from just one amp in both cases, thereby eliminating almost uncontrollable differences between amps, cables , interference between both etc.

Usually a partly activated system (as in this example) would be considered as a benefit, but not as a disadvantage. Risk of additional IM products is surely reduced in this variant.
Do you assume that it could introduce variables in favour of the audibility of ultrasonics?

You can hear or you can't hear ultrasonics.
A full range 192/24 master plus a 20Khz brick wall filtered 192/24 daughter should give the same outcome when true, in a much more controllable way when played over one Amp and one ultra full range speaker system.
Only one variable when comparing both versions, being just the brick wall filter, as against a load of differing variables in Oohashi's experiment, which makes the latter very "unscientific" and unreliable in my eyes.

Sure, if the experiments allows for a full range speaker (covering the audioband and the ultrasonic range up to 60 - 100 kHz) and such a system is available while avoiding the interference and the amplifiere IMD risc, it would be great.
Otoh the argument why the setup used should be considered as "unscientific" and unreliable is missing.

And suppose that with the 192/24 master you can measure something on the Pet Scan or on the EEG that won't be there with the brick wall filtered daughter, but you can't hear the difference, what would be your conclusion ?

As you brought up recently the difficulties when digitally manipulating the 1Bit data, it could be the reason why they used the setup as described.

EH, playback of recorded music is a form of reproduction and not all playback is meant to achieve high degree of faithfulness to the original. IIRC, both Pavel and T have stated current state of achievement has not managed music reproduction to be indistinguishable from the original event.

<snip>
Why do we need Pet-scans and EEGs if added ultrasonics result in a more "pleasant" sound.

Basically it is an attempt to gain more infomation about what is happening; the empirical psychoacoustical experiment still uses the expressed (so most likely the conscious) opinion of the listener. Using this kind of imaging (even more extreme if using fMRI) can be kind of more objective evaluation of the listeners response to stimuli.

The listener seemed to have been aware of the added HFC, so why can't the "feeling pleasant", because now he got the full treatment, be seen as the cause of the changed Pet/EEG instead of concluding that he "heard" something.

Additional information isn't worth the effort?
Despite Scheffé's treatment of multiple comparisons it still could be a result of random guessing, but real changes in EEGs or PET-Scans could provide more corrobation for real effects.

What would have happened to Pet/EEG with and without showing a Playmate of the month to exclude this emotional effect, seriously !

AFAIR the experimenters did baseline experiments to enhance the ability to distinguish real from side effects......

Are you really so strongly against any new approach to get more information about what is really going on, or am I mistaken?

One last remark: the ultra full range speaker....<snip>

I addressed that one in my last response.

EH, playback of recorded music is a form of reproduction and not all playback is meant to achieve high degree of faithfulness to the original.
Original what, electric signal, sound waves or something else?

IIRC, both Pavel and T have stated current state of achievement has not managed music reproduction to be indistinguishable from the original event.
That depends on the sound. There have been demonstrations of live vs recorded sound decades ago. You can try it yourself but if you do, just don't do it the way RN Marsh did.

Have you read it? I scanned it. What do you think the subjects meant by "pleasant"?
I guess:
Enjoyable
pleasing
pleasurable
nice
agreeable
satisfying
gratifying
welcome
good
acceptable
to one's liking
entertaining
amusing
diverting
delightful
charming
inviting
attractive
beautiful
fine
balmy
salubrious
bonny
couthy
lovely
great
neat
lekker
mooi
;-)

As I said, meaningless in the context of music appreciation and a scientific study. Why did you even bother to answer?
The scientific part is HF contents do have an influence. On this I don't have enough scientific arguments to deny.
The subjective note is "more pleasant", that I can verify by myself and for myself if, one day, I'm curious enough.
But, as I said 24-96 being there, I can make the economy of such an experiment if I'm satisfied enough.

I do not exclude that the participants find it more pleasant to feel more brilliance (or the opposite), while, for my part, I like that there is more naturalness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.