Status
Not open for further replies.
No fear here!

Attachments

• 06D4995C-3C08-42A9-8E62-69EE620C8FED.jpg
    06D4995C-3C08-42A9-8E62-69EE620C8FED.jpg
    691.2 KB · Views: 177
...blame tubes/vinyl

Be careful some vinyl reproduction can be very enjoyable, perhaps more so to some than any dac so far. Of course $50k turntables and $10k cartridges can make some difference. (Some of the those things are so expensive mostly because they are made one at a time by hand, and or are or a sole source of income for the maker, and or because not many people are interested in having such things or can afford the cost of making them. Countless hours of labor can go into making something may sell a total of a couple hundred, or maybe only a handful of units.)

Of course, there are also plenty of rip-offs, no question there.

And sometimes audiophiles are their own worst enemies, that happens too.

EDIT: To answer your other question about downsampling 24/96 to 16/44, it does require a brick wall type filter.

Last edited:
Only sometimes?

Yes. Some know what they are doing, or know a reliable expert. Some get it sorted after making some mistakes in the beginning. For some the amount of money is a non-issue, so they are not their own worst enemy from that perspective. Pocket money.

If one thinks about it we all lose some money replacing old stuff with new stuff and sometimes find out the new stuff isn't as good as we hoped/wanted. We just don't think anything of it if the amount of money is trivial. How much electronic waste is in dumps?

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Are you talking about the movie?I haven't seen it yet...We are real masters at dark things, like living 45 years in Comunism and after a "revolution" that killed 1300 people still voting "democratically" for the same ex-comunists or their sons for 30 years , having built 18 000 churches and none of the 400 hospitals left in 30 years of "democracy" and so on... :)

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Basically, in 2100 years of written history we literally killed all our rulers with just two exceptions... Everybody knows Romania for Dracula, but we only had Vlad Tepes for 6 years and we betrayed him twice to the Turcs and the Habsburgs , and in the end some romanian orthodox christian monks took his head off in a monastery because he changed his faith from orthodoxy to catholicism to get western help for us against the Turcs...So we kinda know what Darkness should look like :)

After these final condemnations of this work by a handful of contributors, I was surprised by the seriousness of this experiment and the means implemented.

Isn't it fascinating that this kind of experiment can be named "total crap"?
Sometimes the easiest hypothesis is most likely the correct one and my is that at least some of the critics actually haven't read this publication.

There are not enough psychoacoustic studies, it should rather be encouraged.
When to reject its conclusions, I am willing, on the part of researchers who have implemented the same kind of means and seriousness.

There some questions open wrt methodology and to some of the findings which are somehow contradictionary or surprising when compared to the common understanding about brain areas that should be activated.
But that some findings are new does not mean that they are wrong.

Anyway, as said before, given that this experiments are "total crap" it is surprising that the critic was concentrating on an allegedged error trap, that the experimenters explicitely avoided.

I am not sure if the goal is to make the sound more "pleasant". At least my goal would be the sound more close to the original sound, not more/less pleasant.
What is "accurate" or "close to the original" when we are talking of a sound recording process that is just a "make believe" ?
In my mind, more pleasant means just more believable or more "realistic".

You should be aware that I’m a Oohashi denier,
Did-you made a serious scientific study, implying hundred of representative tested people, with access to several medical instruments showing brain activities that contradict this study ?
Or is-it just that YOU are satisfied enough by redbook, that I do not deny neither ?

On my side my position is well resumed by picowallspeaker:
Could you please expand on that? Because it's just the way that the brain contructs ( its own) reality and how it is helped in reconstructing it - say a piece of music.
When/if you deny other's people way to construct their own reality, and everyone makes it different ( culture, experience, prejudices etc.), why would you be dispensed from such assertions ( well, this is how it goes) ?

And the fact that 24-96 offer a larger bandwidth and increased dynamic, that implies it is "better", even if it is overkill.

It seems that Oohashi's study was carried out with seriousness, by a whole team:
Tsutomu Oohashi, Emi Nishina, Manabu Honda, Yoshiharu Yonekura, Yoshitaka Fuwamoto, Norie Kawai, Tadao Maekawa, Satoshi Nakamura, Hidenao Fukuyama, and Hiroshi Shibaki

under the control of serious authorities:

"We thank the staff of the Kyoto University PET Center for valuable contributions to this work; Dr. Yoshio Yamasaki, Waseda University, for the use of his recently developed signal processing system; the Yamashiro Institute of Science and Culture for recording the sound sources; Dr. Norihiro Sadato, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, for valuable comments on an early version of the manuscript; and Dr. Masako Morimoto, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, for valuable technical support. "

"Japan Ministry of Education, Science and Culture, through the Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (A) (09490031) to T. Oohashi, on Priority Areas to H. Shibasaki, and for International Scientific Research Program (10041144) to T . Oohashi, and by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science through the Research for the Future Program JSPS-RFTF 97L00201 to H. Shibasaki. "

And, like underlined Jakob2, some guy self-proclaimed forum "expert" come here and says "It's crap." ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.