John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Being critical (post #31341) of how others post while you behave the same way is called "hypocrisy".

As for the unanswered question, when was I removed from your ignore list?

The main flaw with your test set up is that the replaying version has double reverb reaching the listener while the live version has single reverb reaching the listener. It's not apple to apple comparison. If this is what you've been doing all these years/months/days, it's time to redo it the proper way and update your audio database.

Sounds good on your paper. but does not actually have any affect if the mic and person talking is close to each other... no room effect.

In addition, being intimately familiar with the actual persons voice can always be picked out by listener. Even with massive reverb - which doesnt exist in homes.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
What is the reason to have/use MQA? Why would I want reduced bits to listen to?

What is the streaming problem which MQA attempts to "solve"?

What is the issue for not streaming full 24 bits?

Seems like another BW limitation issue/work-around preventing 24 bits Maybe?

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Sounds good on your paper. but does not actually have any affect if the mic and person talking is close to each other... no room effect.

In addition, being intimately familiar with the actual persons voice can always be picked out by listener. Even with massive reverb - which doesnt exist in homes.

THx-RNMarsh
If subjective auditioning is your thing, by all means, enjoy it.

Point to me on the impedance graph why that is a voltage device vs any other speaker.

Why the QUAD is a voltage device?

Now I know that I am not the one who is confused. So you are saying that you don't know that electrostatic speakers are 'force' driven and that makes them voltage devices? You don't understand that the 'force' here means we are talking about voltage?

If I had made that statement of yours, there are people who would tear me to threads. I will prove to be far kinder than them.

The same goes for back-EMF where F stands for 'force' and hence voltage.

What is the issue for not streaming full 24 bits?

Seems like another BW limitation issue/work-around preventing 24 bits Maybe?

It's all about bandwidth, streaming and rights. But I am interested in the 'A" part, I understand that Authenticated at least means at least an end to "loudness wars" and a guarantee that compression hasn't been added further down the line. I suspect that in the pecking order, MQA unfolded is better than 16 bits, but not as good as the full 24 bits?

Do attempt to EQ the impedance of your speakers at LF when you can try it. It is a challenge, but when done, the idea for "max damping" disappears.
Joe, I don't understand your answer. I was talking about the RLC network I use in // to my speakers in order to "linearize the speaker impedance", and you answer "Do attempt/try to linearize the speaker impedance" ?
My remark about damping is that it is not the same in current mode to have a ~6 ohm load for the back EMF (the RLC) than to have a ~0 Ohm one (the amp impedance in case the amp is a voltage source device).
BTW, it is not a challenge at all and can be easily calculated once you have the impedance curve of the speaker. Only one thing. If you use a closed box, you'll have to do-it with the speaker in the box. If you use a bass reflex, in free air.
Too lazy to explain why (QTS etc.).

QUAD ESL impedance. Doesn't look that much different from any other speaker to me. Why do people think it's somehow special?
Billshurv, Quad use electrostatic devices (capacitances). The difference with an electrodynamic one is obvious at DC: Infinite impedance VS ~6 Ohms for a 8 Ohm electrodynamic transducer.
Your graph do not shows DC and, more, on the graph you show, it is not the impedance of the transducers themselves, but the one of the speaker assembly. There is obviously a RLC network added that modify the impedance curve of the transducers alone at HF. That is verified on the schematic*
Of course there is too an impedance peak at the resonance, because the membranes are stretched, and back force (ESF) is in action here too (the speaker acts like an electrostatic microphone).

*https://www.meddens.eu/audio/esl63/esl63_sch2.jpg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.