John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan,
A few db down the Hint lacks attack in comparison, too flat....leading/trailing edge is compromised. At lower volumes when kept in class A operation it really sounds pleasant.
Is the other amp edgy/overly detailed in comparison perhaps ?.

I’ve been putting together parts/tools and When I get back up and running here with my new entertainment center in a couple months I’ll be able to start testing again, but for now dead in the water! :(
Your main system is still up and running ?.

For my part, I have never noticed the slightest phenomenon of directionality in any connection cable (Out of conditions that explain the phenomenon by themselves).
Not having understood the exact framework of your manipulation, could not you find a plausible explanation to the phenomenon you noticed ?
I think it is just a fact that cable assemblies can be directional....is it the wire or is it the plastic insulation, I am not certain.

I ask you this question because I always think that discovering a problem without finding a solution is no more useful than finding solutions to a problem that does not exist.
There is no mistaking the change in depth information and positioning precision, removing directional properties in the interconnect has strong downstream influence on system behaviour.

Dan,
The Yamaha is not overly edgy on a good recording......poor recordings it doesn’t like.
The Hint is more forgiving with lesser recordings.
Ok, poor recordings should not 'get out of hand' and this is indication of 'bad' amplifier in my books.
The Hint might be slightly shy or polite in comparison to the Yamaha perhaps and this might be what you are reacting to.
You say at lower levels the Hint is very pleasant but runs out of grunt....it sounds like when you wanna party you need the Yamaha, elsewise enjoy the Hint.
Mains system is down for a couple months while finishing the house......I’m back to the stone ages for a while!
Bad and sad, lol.

Yah I’m starting to understand the pics of people’s systems that have a half dozen different versions of each component!

If given a choice between the two I’d keep the yammie but maybe the mods I’m planning for the Hint will wake it up.

Edit......I don’t think it gets out of hand, more like at the volumes I test at the noise floor of poor recordings is more obvious with (what seems to me) the more accurate sounding Yamaha.

Last edited:
It exists, but RG59 spec is copper plated steel core. Copper core is no longer Mil Spec

</pedant> (I'm only fishing to see what Ed will come back with).

I use RG59HE. It is silver plated copper. (For television head ends!)

Attached is a not very good picture of what will become my blowtorch copy case. I just tapped eight 6-32 holes in 6063 aluminum without breaking a bit!

Attachments

• DSCF0036.JPG
    DSCF0036.JPG
    614.5 KB · Views: 186
The way behaves, in this thread, a handful of people, always the same and ubiquitous, is incomprehensible and unbearable.

As usual, you believe any comment beyond your understanding (and I mean specifically related to EE or physics knowledge, or ignorance, thereof) is a personal attack. Then you automatically respond with rants and complaints. This was observed constantly in your "CFA design" thread and is the reason why every competent person trying to help abandoned, sooner or later.

Lacking basic EE and/or physics education and knowledge is not a sin per se, but it also doesn't grant anybody the right to ignore it. You cannot ask everybody to bring any topic to your level of comprehension, which is essentially an endless prose about the sound quality of nothing. Otherwise said, you think you understand gravity because you heard the story with Newton and the falling apple.

Last edited:
There is no mistaking the change in depth information and positioning precision, removing directional properties in the interconnect has strong downstream influence on system behaviour.
It shocks my sense of logic. The musical signals are, on average, more or less symmetrical. Apart on attacks of some instruments, and the absolute phase is average, depending of the records. Positioning is a comparison between the two channels. When you affect the two the same way, is the positioning supposed to change ?

It shocks my sense of logic. The musical signals are, on average, more or less symmetrical. Apart on attacks of some instruments, and the absolute phase is average, depending of the records.

100% incorrect.

Music is a textbook example of a signal with high crest factor. Do you understand the concept of "crest factor"? Are you sure you are not confusing "symmetrical" with "average"?

There is nothing like "absolute phase" in music, phase requires by it's very definition a reference, what would that be? Or may I assume you don't really understand the concept of "phase"?

P.S. In an yet another (probably useless) attempt to explain something to you, see the attached. It is an example of a signal with zero average. Would you consider this as "symmetrical"?

Attachments

• CCI12062019.jpg
    CCI12062019.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
As usual, you believe any comment beyond your understanding (and I mean specifically related to EE or physics knowledge, or ignorance, thereof) is a personal attack. Then you automatically respond with rants and complaints. This was observed constantly in your "CFA design" thread and is the reason why every competent person trying to help abandoned, sooner or later.

Lacking basic EE and/or physics education and knowledge is not a sin per se, but it also doesn't grant anybody the right to ignore it. You cannot ask everybody to bring any topic to your level of comprehension, which is essentially an endless prose about the sound quality of nothing. Otherwise said, you think you understand gravity because you heard the story with Newton and the falling apple.
Oh, did you feel targeted? From the comments of several contributors about your behaviors, and here is another example, it seems that it is not without reason.

Hang on to your little graduate, I remove the ladder. Not trying to hurt-you, it is just I try to "understand gravity".

(Does a person with enormous density of complacency and aggressivity fall faster, in a uniform field, than a modest and kind one?)

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
wrt 'phase' I have a question for those experienced in the art. I have seen on videos where people have strung mikes up to record and accoustic performance that there is a polarity check with a percussive such as a clapboard. BUT, and here is my ignorance in recording an accoustic event with microphone arrays, are there any scenarios where the correct polarity is not necessarily in phase with other microphones? (I'm thinking ambience mics in the back of the hall here)

Status
Not open for further replies.