John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why your input is useless. You "know very little" but it "certainly might make a difference".

So it makes a difference in audio but word files can be carried dozens of different ways and copied hudreds of times and not lose a bit. Wake up.

Your post demonstrated all that is wrong with social media.

Mainly pro audio designers but they definitely do not rely solely on measurements, listening is the major part of the process.

Oh boy, ain't that the truth!

QUAD ESL impedance. Doesn't look that much different from any other speaker to me. Why do people think it's somehow special?

Don't even understand your question? :scratch:

Last edited:
The examples you've shown over the months?
I will try to *answer* you as kindly and honestly as possible. And forgive-me if it is disagreeable. Yes, I sometimes respond with irony to unfriendly attacks, like yours, but I never initiate them.

If you read me again, you will find that most of the time, I try to exchange informations or to try to share the little experience that I was able to acquire in my professional life. And I never think, for my part, to hold any universal truth. Only little things that has been useful for me and found as working.

I read, under your pen, only attacks, on the same two ultra childish themes : Sighted listenings with unmatched levels , and this strange phantasm that whoever made his passion for high fidelity or, if you prefer, audio reproduction his job ... is a crook.
Endlessly. In loop.

Don't you understand that it can get boring and that it does not present the slightest interest for the vast majority of contributors of this thread, who certainly have more knowledge and experience in this field than you. And I'm not referring especially to me, but people like J.C., Markw4, R.N.Marsh, Jakob2 etc. who are regularly targets of your attacks

I do not know what your background is, and I do not care to be honest, but, please, a little respect for those of the contributors who have been looking for years to find solutions to complicated problems you do not seem to have a clue.

And, if I'm mistaken about the value of your knowledge and experience in audio design, please, share them in a positive way. I would love so much to learn something new from you that I do not know. To can discover something original or interesting in any creation or realisation of your own.

With all due respect.

Last edited:
How I find the limits of ‘better’ is with my db meter @ lp.......my test tracks all have a reference point with each setup as to how loud I can play it before it loses pleasantness/distortion kicks in.
For example the Hint was a solid 3 or 4 db below the Yamaha but yet had more rated and better spec’d power.
Finding max usable power or subjective overload point is one useful yardstick, some amps will go into mild clipping nicely, others get nasty real quick.
At a few dB down from overload and into clean operation how do the sounds compare ?.

BTW, I raided the non-directional Loopback cable from my usb soundcard today and changed the plugs to RCA one end and fitted it as interconnects in my main system.
I am now hearing the sounds you heard in the recordings on the main system and the change is profound.....conclusion RG59 is directional.

... I raided the non-directional Loopback cable from my usb soundcard today and changed the plugs to RCA one end and fitted it as interconnects in my main system.
I am now hearing the sounds you heard in the recordings on the main system and the change is profound.....conclusion RG59 is directional.
Conclusion, your modification ruined the non directional property of the cable.

Dan,
A few db down the Hint lacks attack in comparison, too flat....leading/trailing edge is compromised. At lower volumes when kept in class A operation it really sounds pleasant.

I’ve been putting together parts/tools and When I get back up and running here with my new entertainment center in a couple months I’ll be able to start testing again, but for now dead in the water! :(

Last edited:
Conclusion, your modification ruined the non directional property of the cable.
Huh ?.....I changed from RG-59 to purpose made non-directional interconnect cable constructed from magnet wire, to do so I had to change plugs at one end from 6.5mm to RCA.
I have always known about the directional properties of the RG-59 and it was a case of installing it in subjectively preferred direction, but neither direction was fully right.
The new interconnect sounds the same in either direction and the system now sounds right with nicely better depth information portrayal and overall lowered perceived distortion and improved clarity.
Bass has more solid foundation, dynamics are increased and max usable level is slightly higher.
Not bad for a couple of meters of enameled wire, 250mm of heatshrink and four cheap RCA plugs.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
OK quickly... short version ---> accuracy test. One using no electronic test equip:

Find a person who you know very well. Someone you talk/listen to every day. A male and a female would be nice.

Have that person stand between your speakers and recite something. While they are reciting, record them also. You sit in your usual listening place.

Now play back their recorded voice. Adjust level to be the same as when they talked. Does the reproduced voice sound exactly the same as hearing it "live"?

If it does, you have an accurate system.

You are comparing live voice sound you know well in the same room and space and location acoustics as your music reproduction system. At least for the critical midrange freqs.

Other sound sources could be used also for extended range. but voice of a known person is really a good test for accuracy.

:) You can fill in the blanks on the How-To.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
BTW, I raided the non-directional Loopback cable from my usb soundcard today and changed the plugs to RCA one end and fitted it as interconnects in my main system.
For my part, I have never noticed the slightest phenomenon of directionality in any connection cable (Out of conditions that explain the phenomenon by themselves).
Not having understood the exact framework of your manipulation, could not you find a plausible explanation to the phenomenon you noticed ?

I ask you this question because I always think that discovering a problem without finding a solution is no more useful than finding solutions to a problem that does not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.