John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, my mistake, to decrease damping. He meant using a resistor was worse than using thin high resistance wire.

Trying to convince certain people that keeping the resistance of 10' of speaker cable constant at audio frequencies by adding an R or decreasing the wire gauge while keeping L and C the same makes no difference, is futile. The Hawksford stuff is just plain wrong.

Last edited:
.... You've been caught making stuff up....
Quote the stuff I made up.

You hold Syn08 statement against me. That is unreasonable. You get an unreasonable response you do not like and now use shorthand to hide your impolite word. That is a disregard on forum guideline no. 1 none the less, no doubt to draw like response from me to violate forum rules.

@TNT
He wanted me to make me feel so uncomfortable that I leave the forum by doing anything he can including holding statement by another against me and stirring my emotional state. I gave him a measured response.

Last edited:
I imagine we agree more than disagree on how the sausage of discovery is made but I am wholesale distrusting of anecdotes on an internet forum, especially ones that make sensational claims with excuses that what they hear is immeasurable, and posters with a history of credulity. I like blinded experiments, coming from something of a medical/engineering background, but soberly conducted unblinded work is far better than anything we get from this forum. (For perceptual work) And certainly has its value for the listener's sake, whether it's a real effect or perceived. But these observations have poor translation to another user.

Forums are not scientific journals nor should they ever be, nor anybody is claiming(at least majority of "subjectivists") that what they hear is immeasurable, but they DO claim that there are things going on than what is measured.

Also, you treat blinded experiments as if they are some kind of magic and even as scientific methodology used in an experiment do not alone grant authority.

As far as these observations have poor translations to another users is not an argument against these types of sighted listening on forums and such.

Last edited:
A forum contributor (for the sake of this argument, assume he has no business stake here, neither any other kind of a hidden agenda) shares his subjective impressions from a sighted listening experiment like "A sounds better than B" or "C has a wide sound stage and the highs are sweet and involving".

Not knowing much about this forum member (such as his hearing abilities, perhaps he's in his 80s and is limited to 10KHz?), how would other forum members benefit from his subjective sound description? Otherwise said, what is the perceived value of such a subjective testimony?

I don't even dare to ask about reasoning in making technical decisions and extrapolations like "wide open loop bandwidth is better" based on such unverified and unverifiable testimonies.

You want quote? Fine.
However, a mole who works against the forum will call perfectly normal human ability as extraordinary to justify his behavior. He would spread lies telling everyone that he is not able to hear any difference on any difference being discussed, of course without any proof. He may even provide forged proof when somebody ask for it. We know falsifying ABX test to show inability to hear a difference is trivial for those who can hear. Additional indication for me would be that the mole would never show his true name.

He said because with resistor there are four connections instead of two.

That doesn't explain what the other benefits of high resistance wire are, and he didn't explain, perhaps like he said, I have to try it. Anyway, the point is, it was a highly subjective opinion expressed in an assertive way, easily misunderstood to be a statement of fact, that is his style. He is not alone in this, I used it as an example of how I've decided it's best to take many posts.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There you go again.... "measured response"... what does that mean? Or is it me?

//

You hold Syn08 statement against me. That is unreasonable. You get an unreasonable response you do not like and now use shorthand to hide your impolite word. That is a disregard on forum guideline no. 1 none the less, no doubt to draw like response from me to violate forum rules.

@TNT
He wanted me to make me feel so uncomfortable that I leave the forum by doing anything he can including holding statement by another against me and stirring my emotional state. I gave him a measured response.

Ever heard about the impossibility to prove a negative?...
Sigh.
Syn08, I hate doing this but noted that reasonable ways have so far been tried and does not seem to work. I'd try to match his unreasonable approach to get to his head. I feel his words are undermining the hard work of too many people I respect. Without regards to the comfort of other members while doing so.

@TNT
Comparable proportion to acting stimulus. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.