John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about promoting potentially deadly (if it works as advertised) device that affect change in polarity of all electron and proton in close proximity? As known to physics, a flip in polarity of any lepton and hadron will form antimatter. :D

Can not say it better.
We could ask the alpha collaboration at CERN about changing polarities and antimatter. They are the experts in making, storing, and measuring the physical properties of antimatter. They have made, stored, and measured the transition energies of anti hydrogen to I think one part in ten to the seventeenth power using a magnetic bottle made of octupoles, solenoids, and as I recall, a quadrupole. Currently, they are pursuing a trap which will be vertical to determine if antimatter is attracted by gravity or repelled.. Nobody knows.

They have their confinement bottles made by only one group, as that group is the only place on this planet that can do so..

I was going to say...ask me how I know, but that is a moot point. We have another few months of winding to complete the next antimatter bottle.
Jn

Last edited:
I was always listening to the sound of hi fi reproduction and trying to improve it, rather that just enjoying the music like most people.

I think it (the process) is a must in order to find ways to improvement. Problem is, not all people aware that improvement or quality has many aspects and enjoyment is one of it, and imo is one of the most important one (sometimes people are too focus on things like 'detail' and miss the other part). The effort to relate 'Physics' with 'enjoyment' is rather hard because one has to be sensitive with his own consciousness. The basic thing is like the 'foot tapping' phenomenon. My own 'invention' is the 'sing along' phenomenon :D

My ex first wife (divorced almost 50 years) reminded me today that I was always listening to the sound of hi fi reproduction and trying to improve it, rather that just enjoying the music like most people. That is what motivates me, even today.
For the most part, I enjoy music for the artistic talent.
As I started to discern the aspects of soundstage, I began to understand the limitations inherent in two channel reproduction. Try as I may to re-create an accurate soundstage, I realize the limitations of the media, from mixing console out.

I have decided, I would rather concentrate on the talent. But still understand the desire to have the speakers disappear.

For my mobile, my desire is clarity, and being unable to read print because of the intensity of the bass..I love bass, clean, sharp, and chest pounding..:D

Jn

I have decided, I would rather concentrate on the talent. But still understand the desire to have the speakers disappear.

I found that the second aspect has little to do with the first one. Speaker disappearance relate more with the physical of the enclosure (assuming the room has been taken care of), which is often hard to achieve due to cosmetics and manufacturing.

Thank you, but just in case you miss the joke. The potentially deadly device was the Bybee iQSE and the polarity thing is what Scott Wurcer dug up from the Bybeetech Diy Guideline and Tips section.
Lighten up and enjoy a good sleep for the night. :)
I did not miss the joke. The flip polarity stuff is for 8 year olds. 9 year old children know better.

One time (and one time only) I asked a question about Bybee stuff to a world leading physicist in the cafeteria. Unfortunately it happened to coincide with his drinking milk. It was not pretty, as it spewed out his nose.

I will never again ask about this quantum stuff during lunch. The thought, well..best left unspoken.. As to sleep...well,it is what it is.

Jn

I found that the second aspect has little to do with the first one. Speaker disappearance relate more with the physical of the enclosure (assuming the room has been taken care of), which is often hard to achieve due to cosmetics and manufacturing.
I totally agree. And I decided long ago that music is background to life, not the reason for..my speakers are non optimal, placement is non optimal... But, I will enjoy friends and family with music in the background.

However, I can certainly appreciate those who desire a good soundstage and good fidelity. It is though, not something I choose for my living room.

Jn

We could ask the alpha collaboration at CERN about changing polarities and antimatter. They are the experts in making, storing, and measuring the physical properties of antimatter. They have made, stored, and measured the transition energies of anti hydrogen to I think one part in ten to the seventeenth power using a magnetic bottle made of octupoles, solenoids, and as I recall, a quadrupole. Currently, they are pursuing a trap which will be vertical to determine if antimatter is attracted by gravity or repelled.. Nobody knows.
They have their confinement bottles made by only one group, as that group is the only place on this planet that can do so..
I was going to say...ask me how I know, but that is a moot point.
We have another few months of winding to complete the next antimatter bottle.
Jn

All I can add to your amazing post:

You-matter.jpg

Howie

To all of you, please - when John brought up the topic of speakers in several posts, that is when and why I joined in. I am sorry if that caused tensions, that was certainly not my intention.

So if I said anything hasty, I apologise. But please understand, itf you attack somebody, then when that person reacts, he may say things hastily, not because he is arrogant or superior, but because he becomes defensive. The picture that emerges then only becomes distorted and I don't fit that picture.

I've learned *a lot* from this eternal thread over the years, from people who have given their time freely just for the joy of teaching. Some, like DF96, Scott W, JN, and many others, bring perspectives on areas I'd never known existed. Others, like Jan D, have brought outside experts like Bruno P to help clear up things when I persisted in misunderstanding. (I still misunderstood, but...) Many others are also brilliant people with fresh perspectives and insights. The noise level is deafening, but for some of us worthwhile.

To get the most use from the thread though requires that one force himself to be very very clear. One's goal cannot be "to win"; it must be "to learn". This is also the goal of a teacher.
Rough translation from Sun Tzu.

All good fortune,
Chris

You do realize that a reactance can not dissipate power, or do you?
I do!!

Please Scott, maybe you missed me saying that earlier but I said so several times. Many people have heard me say it.

If you checked out my Equivalence Test, you will see there the maths that takes that into account. Those numbers actually work. I calculated the heat dissipation at three different frequencies, 42Hz, 3KHz and 20KHz. And the numbers are accurate.

About being a troll? I am 67 and suddenly I am now a troll? That's about as weird as anything I have heard.

To get the most use from the thread though requires that one force himself to be very very clear. One's goal cannot be "to win"; it must be "to learn". This is also the goal...
I am with you on that 100%.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
To all of you, please - when John brought up the topic of speakers in several posts, that is when and why I joined in. I am sorry if that caused tensions, that was certainly not my intention.

So if I said anything hasty, I apologise. But please understand, itf you attack somebody, then when that person reacts, he may say things hastily, not because he is arrogant or superior, but because he becomes defensive. The picture that emerges then only becomes distorted and I don't fit that picture.

No problems... we don't take anything you write as affirmative but only as questions... and it seems you get the answers you seek!

//

No problems... we don't take anything you write as affirmative but only as questions... and it seems you get the answers you seek!

//

Actually, in a strange way I have gotten some answers I needed. It has caused me to think and that is always a good thing.

I have been approaching this on the basis of needing a Devil's Advocate.

-----

I saw some posts of John Curl's about speakers and responded. Hardly anybody mentions speakers here. We all have to listen to them, we all have to connect our amplifiers to something. So at least we are talking speakers, even though some are not fond of it. But I think it has been good.

Because in my mind something has come of this, something that has at least helped me. It may help others too, but that will be up to them

So...

1. I have a measurement, I want to show it.

2. Then based on that measurement, I will ask a question.

3. I think I know the answer, but I won't say what I think.

4. Let others answer the question. Freely and with respect.

Please, it will not be a trick question and everybody is free to answer it and say what they think.

The nature of the question is which one out of two possibilities is correct. Or even if the question is valid or not. One thing for sure, it will be interesting.

Are we OK on this?

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
As I started to discern the aspects of soundstage, I began to understand the limitations inherent in two channel reproduction. Try as I may to re-create an accurate soundstage, I realize the limitations of the media, from mixing console out.

These needs to restated on a regular basis. The tweak brigade seem to have no interest in >2 channels and the music lovers don't really seem to care much. It always saddens me how the work of Gerzon was steamrollered by the Dolby machine but I accept that a 3D soundfield only really exists for acoustic music which is not where the money is.

:(

I do!!

If you checked out my Equivalence Test, you will see there the maths that takes that into account. Those numbers actually work. I calculated the heat dissipation at three different frequencies, 42Hz, 3KHz and 20KHz. And the numbers are accurate.

Please Joe, first if you want us to think you had an ideal voltage amplifier and an ideal current amplifier and took real measurements at 1m and got answers that were all within <0.1dB you are stretching credibility. If you can do this you certainly can measure the THD of the output.

And note at 42Hz (the low frequency resonance) the phase angle will be 0 and the concept of "back-emf impedance" makes no sense.

These needs to restated on a regular basis. The tweak brigade seem to have no interest in >2 channels and the music lovers don't really seem to care much. It always saddens me how the work of Gerzon was steamrollered by the Dolby machine but I accept that a 3D soundfield only really exists for acoustic music which is not where the money is.
:(

Looked up Gerzon and found it quite interesting, it hits on a lot of things I’ve been coming across in my rampant attempts to understand sound as it relates to audio reproduction......phase changes and the affect on soundstage,psychoacoustics,recording process,etc.

This ‘Ambisonics’ thing he was working on got him gold medal recognition from AES, seems like he worked with meridian on dvd development.......

I wonder if some of his techniques are still not in play by recording engineers because every now and again I’ll find a recording that has some floating instruments.....ambisonics might be responsible?

Like JN and others have said there’s not enough attention paid to the actual recording and the people that say ‘just listen to the music’ are missing a whole different aspect of music, the recording process can be as much of the art as the music,

Please Joe, first if you want us to think you had an ideal voltage amplifier and an ideal current amplifier and took real measurements at 1m and got answers that were all within <0.1dB you are stretching credibility. If you can do this you certainly can measure the THD of the output.

How? It is what it is. What else can I say?

And note at 42Hz (the low frequency resonance) the phase angle will be 0 and the concept of "back-emf impedance" makes no sense.

Yes, I am aware that at 42Hz the current phase angle is zero. But I don't understand the conclusion you have made re back-emf as an impedance?

And yes, about the other point, I will be doing just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.