John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
4th. language, please, after German, Latin, French.

It seems my use is more in line to the dictionary of the Leopold Univ Munich, wordreference.com and the Oxford dictionary than your's.

Not even the Urban Dictionary with its specialization in dirty language shows the
slightest hint to a derogatory meaning.

Not surprising as I expect it is an American slang term as we really don't handle racial issues even adequately. But it is construed as a derogatory term by some.

The original I believe was actually "A spade is not a shovel." Clearly not insulting in any manner.

In the local steel mills at one time a coal shovel was called an Irish teaspoon. Intended to be insulting but today just a footnote in a local history book.

But of course I didn't think you intended any insult.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
A very notable year, Estwing hammers (one piece) were founded that year I still use my grandfather's original and the leather wrapped grip is still fine after 96 yr.

Kind reminds of my dads Stanley wood plane. It snapped in half right where the blade runs across the bottom plate (I think it was dropped). He brazed it together and continued to use it for about 20 years after that!

He was born in 1922 BTW.

No the magnetic field only distortion in the reed relays we used into a 10**12 Ohm load. :D

IIRC they were COTO and the resistors were Victoreen glass encapsulated.

Actually I think just checking for a harmonic in a current that low would be quite a challenge even given choice of load resistor. I think the best I could do would be to use a very high step up transformer into a lock in amplifier and average thàt over a long time period. I would would expect the third harmonic to be at least 100 dB down or more. Of course a high step up transformer would have high frequency bandwidth limits. Interesting problem, might run a simulation to see what the measurement limits might be.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Without getting into a long discussion, Yes, DSD can be converted to PCM, then upsampled, filtered, etc., then converted back to DSD. The problem is that doing it well without obvious damage to sound quality is computationally expensive. A top of the line i7 or i9 and a fast NVIDIA video card (also used for procssing) might just be able to handle two channels of PCM real time conversion to DSD1024, if the highest sound quality algorithms are used. That's the situation today using HQplayer on Windows 10 64-bit. If we want to use bi-amping or tri-amping along with DSP to improve sound quality, we need to make sure that we do more good than damage, IMHO.

EDIT: Once people hear AK4499 playing DSD512 through a good, clean power amp, they probably will want to have it and not give up any of the sound quality (my opinion only, of course). Not saying it totally perfect, but it is very, very good. Converting 4 or 8 channels to high quality DSD on one computer might require a powerful server class machine with multiple CPU chips.

All the foregoing IMHO only, of course.

Yeah, but I don't need or use DSD....

And, if you've not seen it, now is a good time:

Apollo 11 in Real Time

Still amazes me as much as when i was a young 'un.... An astonishing technical and human achievement....

Last edited:
As fluent as Gerhard is in English, it is his second language, the actual meaning of this phrase is often missed.

It does not refer to a shovel or the type of playing card. It is a derogatory term for a person of African ancestry!

I''m glad to say this is derogatory, and also entirely not true unless used in a grossly-perverted sense: the first recorded use of 'calling a spade a spade in English', and the only way it is understood this side of the Pond, is 1542 - as a modern substitute for a Classical idiom:

e.g. popular source:

Call a spade a spade - Wikipedia

Last edited:
“More interestingly a word that is still acceptable is "bulldozer!" This was the term used for the fellow in charge of the other slaves!”

Bulldozers have not been around that long Ed. You need to brush up on your etymology.

They were invented in 1923.

:)

Bulldozers the machine may be recent and the gap in time between their use and the term meaning slave driver may be the reason why the name is acceptable.

Some of the old books I have seen defending slavery are at best interesting, but often become terrifying. The first one I saw was a graduation gift from a former southern belle to a now deceased relative. It was a defense against the destruction of the US south after the civil war. It claimed the motivation of many of the anti-slavery folks were their mistresses. It particulary named names of actual historical figures and there alleged paramours. Lots of other similar allegations.

As the extended family all kept books or small libraries I was able to find four more slavery subject books. Of course one must keep in mind modern slavery was not the same as biblical slavery even though some of the books quoted it.

I think the phrase was basically the slave owes the master his due or somethin similar. Of course it ignored biblical slavery terminated in the sabatical year and could be renewed once, but the second time required disfigurement. The reason for the existence of slavery in basically an agricultural society is simple. A bad or unsuccessful farmer would starve and the only thing of value to prevent that was essentially selling their labor. Hopefully while doing that they would pick up skills.

Essentially slavery was the great shame of the US and some consider it never to have been cleansed. Others point to the still active affirmative action laws. They actually still have an effect when I do many of the large sound system projects.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Richard, didn't this subject get beaten to death here a year or so ago?

Brought up but not beaten to death. Its back only because of Joe M descriptions. So, I just cut to the chase.

But there is no interest in any case to reduce speaker distortion by the electronic guys. Also, tried to reduce distortion by a direct assault on the driver which showed promise but stopped due to some other bright shiny object.

Think I'll go listen to my iPOD and forget about high-end until I get myself to Bangkok.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
How does that relate to back-emf?

Richard, I think the issue somebody raised was about using passive crossovers with current drive. There is no way to assure that all the current that is supposed to go into a speaker will go into the speaker if a passive crossover is used. The parallel impedance of the passive crossover going to the other speaker makes it looks more to the first speaker like it is being driven by a voltage source, since the impedance looking out from the first speaker terminals towards the amp will be lower due to the presence of the parallel impedance of the crossover network. In that case the source (amp output) does not still appear to have the high impedance of a current source. Hopefully that makes sense.

Do you think so?
Proudove buzeni repro a zkresleni repro

13+14kHz_voltagedrive.jpg

13+14kHz_currentdrive.jpg

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Bulldozers the machine may be recent and the gap in time between their use and the term meaning slave driver may be the reason why the name is acceptable. <snip>

I discovered in my genealogical research, and then confirmed it with DNA testing that my great grandmothers grandmother was taken to South Africa as a slave in 1796. My MtDNA indicates that my maternal line is from the central Philippines which originated about 8000 years prior to that in either Futian (China) or Taiwan. Quite how she ended up in Africa I have still not been able to work out. The probable route was a raiding party from one of the neighboring islands and then sold on to Chinese traders. I know from records she was ‘bought’ in a slave market in India. Anyway, she got her freedom when she married a Dutch settler in the early 1800’s. I thought my paternal side was English (London). Turns out it’s 80% Irish - I’m still working on that bit though. As for my Dutch wife - turns out her paternal line is almost 100% Irish as well.

Family history - Fascinating what you can dig up.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Do you think so?

is this with same circuit as I showed or something else? LIke a pure current drive.

I would not be surprised to reduce the mid or a tweeter if it had a pronounced resonance peak in Z.

Current drive is a whole other Thing. I am comparing the voltage and the current sample - phase off by 90 degrees - and summing.

If I added a C in there to get a 90 degree shift at the Fr, I would get a more complete reduction in THD.

View attachment v-I FB ckt.pdf

I hope you can read this pencil sketch I made from around 1960-something.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.