John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Surely a high end amplifier in 2019 would include an MCU to monitor output device temperature and other fault conditions?

Oddly high end amplifier designers are rarely good embedded programmers making a protection processor probably less reliable than the amplifier :D.

Solid state relays are popular amongst some here. The horror that those would raise amongst reviewers would probably kill any chance of a good review :D

In your opinion of course.

Who said the listeners aren't allowed to be prepared before taking ABX? Get used to different examples as much as you want before testing.

The problem is that usually nobody (of those people who demand "ABX results") tells listeners that they have to prepare for doing an "ABX" .

If they would do so (and eventually provide training examples and positive controls), chances are high that the situation would improve.

Btw, evidence for your claims (you know, about snake oil sales attempts of the "jakob(x)" over at hydrogenaud.io, you were talking about) is still missing.
Wouldn't it a relief for you, if you stop bending the truth and just concede that it only happened in your imagination?

Solid state relays are popular amongst some here. The horror that those would raise amongst reviewers would probably kill any chance of a good review :D

I have been using my design of SSR protection for years. The main advantage is it has stable parameters. Contrary to any mechanical relay, I have enough evidence and measurements that if the mechanical relay contact disconnects the load under faulty conditions it should have been immediately replaced with a new one, because of distortion occurrence. Also ageing of contacts raises distortion. Audiophiles and reviewers are a special, irrational class.

Why would you use a high ESR supercap on a supply very easily taken care of with actual low noise regulators or reference circuits?

Read my post again, and a bunch of my other posts......materials matter is my point.

Dan.
I believe what Chris is missing is the possibility the active devices (regulators output stage or reference circuits) interaction with the self noise generated by these digital ICs (DAC & clock) - passive devices handle this back emf - it's more about the stability of the power supply.

Last edited:
I have been using my design of SSR protection for years. The main advantage is it has stable parameters. Contrary to any mechanical relay, I have enough evidence and measurements that if the mechanical relay contact disconnects the load under faulty conditions it should have been immediately replaced with a new one, because of distortion occurrence. Also ageing of contacts raises distortion. Audiophiles and reviewers are a special, irrational class.
Pavel, have you ever tried small SSR (like the VO1400) for line level duty, perhaps as input select or mute?

I have to admit that I use that term more and more like pejorative rather than an expression for passion in well reproduced sound.

But what is it good for?
I mean, humans are different, have different ambitions and goals and although we probably all think that our own are the best ones, does there really exist an objective gauge to measure the merits?

Take for example the rant(s) against listeners not willing to participate in "Foobar ABX" ;it is not meant offensive, but given the fact that you've stated with the same dead certainty things (a couple of years ago) that I'd see as the direct opposite to your todays point of view, is it justified to use pejoratives for members who still think differently about it?

But what is it good for?

Unfortunately it is based on my direct experience with the vast majority of the "audiophiles" that I have met personally. There are exceptions, of course. But not too many with a common sense and willingness to learn something and work on a self-education that would bring them acoustics and sound improvements, rather than cable exchanges and wooden myrtle blocks pads instead.

Usually, the slew rate is measured by a square wave or step input signal that forces the amplifier to slew (a condition we would never like to see during normal operation) and then the maximum rate of change at the output is measured.
Of course, it is a large scale parameter but there is no need to drive the amplifier into clipping.
No need, but there is a reason: Many amps have a low pass input filter to ensure no signal can be faster than its slew, in order to avoid TIM, agree ?
To measure the amp slew rate of an existing amp, we need to disconnect the filter for obvious reasons.
Or to apply a large enough signal at low impedance that will force the cap to be charged at a slew fast enough to reach the limit of the amp.
The second reason is we have to ensure the amp reach its max output voltage, it means ... saturated or just at the limit.
Just my two cents.

I hope not. My point is that it is possible to manage loopgain effectively by the compensation method used and I think we both agree on this. The ULFG reduction - higher margin may prevent from unexpected situations in a manufacture process. I think that possible raise of distortion from 0.0002% to 0.0004% (example only) is unimportant compared to higher reliability margin.
Totally clever. Nothing is worse than seeing amps back in the after sell service.

Unfortunately it is based on my direct experience with the vast majority of the "audiophiles" that I have met personally.
You have strange relationships ;-)
Anyway, no need to be agressive. Being a gentlemen looks more important for me in the life than any kind of competancy in any domain, or to be right or wrong. And it is an important key to success: we depend on others.
And this fear of "audiophiles" is a strange paranoia, as I see the things, there are not so many in here, and, anyway, if you are in the business, they could be your clients.
Last, may-be, and even if they don't kown the technical reason of some effects, and the correct solution to get rid of it, you never know if they are able to listen to something you cannot.

Last edited:
mmerrill99 said:
I believe what Chris is missing is the possibility the active devices (regulators output stage or reference circuits) interaction with the self noise generated by these digital ICs (DAC & clock) - passive devices handle this back emf - it's more about the stability of the power supply.
I'm not certain that "back emf" is the correct term. Anyway, active devices like regulators can handle low frequency digital noise. It would have to be LF noise, otherwise you would not need a supercap; HF noise (the usual problem with digital) can be handled by an ordinary cap. Adding a supercap to a regulator output might not be a good idea; the change might be audible but not an improvement. Regulators almost always have a low inductive output impedance so adding caps here can create resonance and raise impedance right where you may want to lower impedance.

However, adding a supercap has the advantage of superficially looking 'different' or 'innovative' so it may be good for sales even though bad for the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.