John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Training your ears to do what exactly? Aspects that would otherwise be hidden? Such as what? I'm not being funny, I want people to try to be a bit clearer in what they're talking about.
Our ears don't have to be forced to perceive a stereo image if that's what you're saying

Just as the trained eye sees the hidden image.....in this case a little tutorial on how to see it and then I saw it. I tried before instruction and as hard as I tried could not see anything but maybe a string of doves and a string of a one eyed man? And that was questionable, there was no doubt to what was there after my ‘training’.
We tend to listen to music much like we see the stereogram......hearing what’s obvious.
Breaking it down further to compare (albeit subjectively) repeatable differences or subtle changes of whichever aspect you’re interested in.....live reinforcement, recording/mastering, playback etc.

I’m not dismissing science....just saying there might be more to it than just measuring.

Picture a world where subjectivists and objectivists live in harmony and understanding:D

Last edited:
We tend to listen to music much like we see the stereogram......hearing what’s obvious.
Breaking it down further with to compare (albeit subjectively) repeatable differences or subtle changes of whichever aspect you’re interested in.....live reinforcement, recording/mastering, playback etc.

I’m not dismissing science....just saying there might be more to it than just measuring.
Thanks, gotcha, it certainly makes sense to use your ears as measuring tools in those situations :)

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I mentioned previously the use of two components, a tight drum as center image, and a female vocal which is shifted via ITD/ILD to either side of the central image. The intent is to use the drum as a fixed reference in space, with the listener locating the vocal with respect to it.
jn

Sorry - must have missed that. Good idea though. I wonder if I can find a drum only track and a female solo voice that match musically, to build it. A challenge!

It's interesting that many of the self proclaimed objectivists on here refuse to read the scientific research posted by Jakob & I regarding blind testing &/or inform themselves of the wider subject of psychoacoustics & how our auditory perception works (again many papers linked to by Jakob & I).

With all due respect, I haven't seen over the years a single scientific research result regarding blind testing, etc... other than quoting literature that either very few have access to, or are controversial in the experts community. All I've seen is theoretical lip service, critic about other people (granted, sometimes naive) attempts, ad-hoc interpretations that nobody has the time and patience to debunk on a DIY forum, and all kind of extra BS intended to obfuscate the matter.

I'll change my mind when I will see a clear "no peeking" test plan, designed to your satisfaction, for a test case of your choice, something that anybody could independently reproduce and verify. Just repeating ad nauseam "ABX bad" is not helping your cause.

With all due respect, I haven't seen over the years a single scientific research result regarding blind testing, etc... other than quoting literature that either very few have access to, or are controversial in the experts community. All I've seen is theoretical lip service, critic about other people (granted, sometimes naive) attempts, ad-hoc interpretations that nobody has the time and patience to debunk on a DIY forum, and all kind of extra BS intended to obfuscate the matter.
Sure Syn08, perceptual research is all " BS intended to obfuscate the matter" - have you ever read any of the links or informed yourself in any other way about auditory perception in the perceptual research literature

Show a link to the research papers that "either very few have access to, or are controversial in the experts community"

I'll change my mind when I will see a clear "no peeking" test plan, designed to your satisfaction, for a test case of your choice, something that anybody could independently reproduce and verify. Just repeating ad nauseam "ABX bad" is not helping your cause.
I really don't know what you are talking about but I see you are back in rant mode & expect Chris179 along any minute now

@ PMA,

OAE and SOAE are happening in every healthy "ear" (in fact they indicate that the OHCs are in good working shape) - so to state that tinnitus is caused by these isn´t afaik corrobated by experimental studies.

Instead there is evidence that (S)OAEs are less prevalent for certain types of tinnitus.

I really don't know what you are talking about

What can I say, other than quoting:

Upton Sinclair said:
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!

With all due respect, I haven't seen over the years a single scientific research result regarding blind testing, etc... other than quoting literature that either very few have access to, or are controversial in the experts community.

Which is an interesting modification of your previous argument as it is now more about the controversiality and even more surprising the "that either very few have access to" line of reasoning.

I have offered quite regularly to send out copies if members have difficulties to get access to the publications I´ve cited or quoted.
But we both know that you´ve never asked, don´t we?

Beside that, an experienced (according to the selfdescription) engineer/scientist who is unable to contact a university library and further doesn´t know some people to ask for this kind of information is hard to grasp; could it simply be a lack of effort?

change my mind when I will see a clear "no peeking" test plan, designed to your satisfaction, for a test case of your choice, something that anybody could independently reproduce and verify. Just repeating ad nauseam "ABX bad" is not helping your cause.

Let´s take it serious for a moment, as I told and recommended a lot of these thinks back in 2009, before you were taking a break.
Be honest, for all these years, you´ve never conducted some controlled listening tests with other people, you haven´t tried any of my suggestions and you haven´t read any of the publications i´ve cited, correct?

Oh, that "research". Why should anyone fall for snake oil sales pitch that Jakob(x) tried over at Hydrogenaudio and already got exposed for what it is?

And now just try to link to this fascinating thread over at Hydrogenaudio Forums - Index so that people can decide if it did only happen in your imagination or indeed in this reality. ;)

Wrt "audio business issues" , you can´t have it both ways. You´ve recommended reading Peter Aczel´s opinion paper (despite the factual flaws in some paragraphs) although he was in the audio business (and afair forgot to disclose that he was (co?)owner of the manufacturer which produces the loudspeaker he raves about in a review).

And don´t get me wrong, although i didn´t like his religious-like attitude, he nevertheless was sometimes right with his critic of the audio (or high end) business.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.