John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the industry has declined due to avarice, BS & the lack of interest from the general public in sound quality.

Mainly due to most of the top selling music is studio based heavily compressed EDM that will sound good on earbuds and cheap crap playback systems. And that is the way it will be until 'girl singer with guitar plus boy on harmonica' makes a comeback. Fat chance of that.

It's interesting that many of the self proclaimed objectivists on here refuse to read the scientific research posted by Jakob & I regarding blind testing &/or inform themselves of the wider subject of psychoacoustics & how our auditory perception works (again many papers linked to by Jakob & I).

This strikes me as ala carte objectivism - not really interested in the truth about what we hear (our auditory perception), only interested in research/science/measurements that supports a particular puritanical viewpoint.

Mainly due to most of the top selling music is studio based heavily compressed EDM that will sound good on earbuds and cheap crap playback systems. And that is the way it will be until 'girl singer with guitar plus boy on harmonica' makes a comeback. Fat chance of that.
Yea, probably so & there's not enough interest in classical music which is far from the music genres you describe

View attachment 761711

On first inspection this looks like swirly multicoloured randomness BUT there is a hidden message contained.

Good audio systems are similar, all the information is presented but it can take different 'modes' of listening to reveal ALL the truths and this is where ABX testing with short cycle times can fail and deliver false negatives.

Any photo experts here, how can the above image be processed to enhance or to obscure the hidden message, and what are the parallels to audio processing and system distortions ?.

Dan.

Yes, I am a photographic expert. The image is known as a 'Magic Eye Picture' that contains a hidden image. Some people will be able to see the image instantly. With others it can take a very long time before they see something, and after that, they will be able to see other Magic Eye Pictures relatively easily. Some are never able, no matter how hard they try, to ever see anything at all.

Just like audio.

Yea, probably so & there's not enough interest in classical music which is far from the music genres you describe

Not quite. There is a perennial interest in classical music, but most young people with a modest amount of disposable income live in small rooms. Not entirely conducive to playback of orchestral music on humongous sound systems.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Yes, I am a photographic expert. The image is known as a 'Magic Eye Picture' that contains a hidden image. Some people will be able to see the image instantly. With others it can take a very long time before they see something, and after that, they will be able to see other Magic Eye Pictures relatively easily. Some are never able, no matter how hard they try, to ever see anything at all.

Just like audio.

No parallel with audio really though - autostereograms rely on a deliberate subversion of the vision system.

Just like audio.

I'll admit that I've never seen the 'hidden image' in any 'Magic Eye Picture'. - I never put in the time to achieve the perceptual effect & really didn't have enough interest to keep trying. I could therefore follow the approach taken by a coterie of people found on audio forums & deny others reports of what they see, saying it's all their delusion but I understand my own laziness & lack of motivation is likely the reason for my not seeing the 'hidden image'.

When did you decide to dedicate your life to save the V.I.P.s from the misdeeds of the luxury and fashion industry?
No one prevents you from buying work clothes.

Attachments

• 4794C414-B911-4F74-B2EA-CA749F4F59B0.jpeg
    4794C414-B911-4F74-B2EA-CA749F4F59B0.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 158
No parallel with audio really though - autostereograms rely on a deliberate subversion of the vision system.

I think Dan was making the point that some things in audio perception only reveal themselves over longer term listening?

I guess the stereogram requires a particular way of viewing it to reveal the 3D image within & is constructed by understanding of the workings of visual perception in the same way as all illusions work by exploiting our understanding of the workings of a particular perception.

I a lot of ways it has relevance to the recent audio discussions about localization of sound object in the vertical plane i.e height of image & how this may or may not be captured in the recording. Understanding the cues that audio perception uses in the 2D pressure waves hitting the eardrum & how it analyses the resultant nerve stream impulses, would allow us to answer this question scientifically

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Yes, but the autosterogram really doesn't make that point,though they can be fun...
I recall some where once you saw the image, it was, ahem... a little surprising - in the kama sutra sense!

The parallel to dan's point would perhaps be learning to appreciate artworks by studying the subject, repeat visits to a gallery - leaning to know what the artist intended etc.

Yes, but the autosterogram really doesn't make that point,though they can be fun...
Does it not take a while to see the image & use a certain type of focus/viewing which is not the normal focussed viewing of the image we would normally use when studying an image? I don't know, as I said, it doesn't work for me as I haven't put in the time or maybe I'm just not capable.

Last edited:
Does it not take a while to see the image & use a certain type of focus/viewing which is not the normal focussed viewing of the image we would normally use when studying an image? I don't know, as I said, it doesn't work for me as I haven't put in the time or maybe I'm just not capable.

It happens by a slight crossing of the eyes so that two adjacent (unseen) images overlap as one, and the brain fills in the depth information. Surprisingly, those who can do this with ease, sometimes have difficulty achieving this process, depending upon their emotional state or what is in the bloodstream.

Just like audio.

It should be doable for almost everyone within a few minutes unless you have some kind of unilateral visual impairment or misalignment (strabismus). Start in very close and slowly pull back. Moving back slowly is the key.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
It happens by a slight crossing of the eyes so that two adjacent (unseen) images overlap as one, and the brain fills in the depth information. Surprisingly, those who can do this with ease, sometimes have difficulty achieving this process, depending upon their emotional state or what is in the bloodstream.

Just like audio.

I don't find crossing my eyes useful for audio... :)

But, autosterograms require you essentially to break the vision system. Audio listening does not. Or certainly should not. A much more appropriate comparison is learning to appreciate types of art. Plus the added similarity that I could never learn to hear some subtlety of audio if I dislike the source music and find it unpleasant to listen to. Similarly, you'd only use learning to improve appreciation of art you like.

Last edited:
I don't find crossing my eyes useful for audio... :)
haha, some music can do that :D

But, autosterograms require you essentially to break the vision system. Audio listening does not.
The takeaway from Dan's point was that everything doesn't jump out in a short listening - it can take a number of listening sessions over a long term using a different type of focus than the "spot the difference" focus mostly used in ABX listening tests.

It's a bit of a stretch to claim " autosterograms require you essentially to break the vision system". It's looking at an image in a very different way
Or certainly should not. A much more appropriate comparison is learning to appreciate types of art. Plus the added similarity that I could never learn to hear some subtlety of audio if I dislike the source music and find it unpleasant to listen to. Similarly, you'd only use learning to improve appreciation of art you like.
huh? That doesn't make sense to me - can you express it differently, please?

Just like audio.

Holy crap.....once instructed how to look it’s crazy! And totally repeatable.

Much like training your ear :D

I :hbeat: you !

Status
Not open for further replies.