John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe, but do you sit with your head in a vice? This is what it takes to hear the same thing repeatably. In fact this is the only way to do a proper blind test.....

Attachments

• electric-chair-as-used-in-some-american-statesin-the-early-1900s-BRK4YD.jpg
    electric-chair-as-used-in-some-american-statesin-the-early-1900s-BRK4YD.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 193
Dan, Maybe you have picked up on something of significance here. If the white flex contains titanium dioxide as a colouring agent, then presumably the black flex will more than likely contains carbon. Both carbon and titanium dioxide have electromagnetic properties, and if so, then those properties should be measurable. If they have a subjective effect upon musical playback quality, those said properties will be objectively tunable as per situational requirement.
Yes, cable insulations sound different and these 'signature sounds' are recordable.
Some sounds 'play nice' together, others 'play bad' together and this is the basis of 'tuning' as it is practiced.
Titanium oxide is pretty uniform, carbon black is of variable provenance and carbon impurities are cause of bad sound in some black cables.

Dan.

I decide if something works. My informed opinion based on my years of experience gives me confidence in what I personally hear. Your hearing may differ.
Thank you, and exactly how I call it.
Is it hearing or brains that differ, I vote brains ?.

Dan.

You fellers are gonna have a field day with the next Hint Saga development.....
This one is so off the wall i’m Gonna wait till it rests over night to see how it fires up tomorrow....stay tuned!
'Off the wall' relative to what lol ?.

Dan.

I decide if something works. My informed opinion based on my years of experience gives me confidence in what I personally hear. Your hearing may differ.

I suppose you confounded "educated guess" with "informed opinion". The first might work now and then.

Hehe, but do you sit with your head in a vice? This is what it takes to hear the same thing repeatably. In fact this is the only way to do a proper blind test.....

That reminds me at a "Poesiewürdigungsstuhl". Sorry I did read the Hitchhikers Guide
To The Galaxy in German... A back translation will probably fail.

......I will now feed the trolls by admitting that physical appearance and audio effect are both electromagnetic phenomena. The minor snag (for those of us from a science background) is the huge disparity in the relevant part of the frequency spectrum: audio roughly 20-20kHz, sight around 400-700THz, a ratio in the region of 10^10.
Why is visible part of spectrum the only frequency band of interest ?.

Dan.

Given the audiophile buttons pushed here, and the dismissing of proper engineering, I can only assume that you are commercially involved in audio or would like to be.

'Dismissing of proper engineering'. I think I am the engineer :D I think you have been with your bias for a very long time, no, I'm not commercially involved in audio. But yes, if i could protect IPs, may be i would like to be involved. But i'm also convinced that (product) 'quality' is not the main ingredient to be successful in business.

This was a helpful suggestion Dan, you could try it, prove DF96 wrong maybe?
Tournesol,

I have no idea. Perhaps Dan could put a set of black/grey/white wires through a MRI scanner and see what happens.......

All materials, whatever they, have properties of one sort or another, and as such will have an effect. It is not up to me to say what the effects will be, that is the domain of the electronic engineer.

But I will point out what is the bleeding obvious.

ToS

But i'm also convinced that (product) 'quality' is not the main ingredient to be successful in business.
Is it your turn to "point out the bleeding obvious"? ;)

There are some thoughts again about 35kHz, 100kHz, rise time, SR etc. in this thread again. For those with exceptional hearing abilities, like Dan, John and others I have created a new test

Can you hear sound above 21kHz? - listening test

There are 2 files, one of them has sound components up to 30 - 40 kHz and the other one is abruptly cut at 21 kHz. So feel please feel free to test your ears, and of course an ABX result will be more valued (by myself) than a mere statement "I can hear it".

What would one look for with an MRI scanner ?.

I have recordings that illustrate audio system effects, physics proof I do not have.

Dan,

MRI stands for 'Magnetic Resonance Imaging' a process of using magnetism and radio waves to create pictures of features inside the human body. My prologue for an experiment would be to put wires, cables, and interconnections inside an MRI scanner, apply musical electric currents, and see what happens. I have no idea what would happen, or what would or could be seen to happen. Epilogue unknown.

But it is about time that somebody does it, or some such experimentation like it, as this fruitless circular conversation is going nowhere other than to damage the participants.

ToS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.