John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ostripper,
Exactly!
Engineered to survive, just like everyone else out there who designs audio equipment. There are a few exceptions (technically speaking), but the most common designs require some isolation from unknown capacitances.

I'm going to bet you looked a the output with a 'scope after removing the output inductors too.

-Chris

Personally, I do not understand why you say such crazy things, Wavebourn.
Perhaps, you do not understand the definition of: NO COMPROMISE
Perhaps a Skoda is your sort of practical 'compromise' and a Porsche is my sort of 'no compromise' design. It is not an impossible design, but a design with a minimum of performance compromises.
Are you trying to impugn my design reputation? This is what you appear to do constantly, and I think that it is to 'sell' yourself to perspective clients, if that is possible. It won't work, and I suspect that this sort of attitude has hurt your job prospects in Silicon Valley as well. They want team players as well as good engineers.
I would normally keep this to myself, but I think that you should know it.

Personally, you absolutely don't know what you are talking about. Your ignorance, and only your ignorance renders Porsche as a "NO COMPROMISE" car. Even for criteria the design had to met it is suboptimal, otherwise there would be no Automarket Porsche tuning shops. The same with audio. If you see some design to be a NO COMPROMISE that means you have no knowledge to see which criteria it does not meet, and how the design can be optimized

I see now; you are trying to put me down because of your jealousy, you think my existence here and my comments can lower your income of bread and butter. It is absolutely clear from your post.

Slip well, dear friend! There are lots of market niches in this world, enough for all of us, if to stop fighting ans start thinking. Also, sometimes it is good to read some basics about signals and spectra representations. It is the must for you, if you want to stop making fun of yourself in front of all worldwide DIY community, with your non-harmonic content, and Ducks on the picture. :D

I'm sorry everyone, but this is becoming ridiculous.
No matter what I say, it is twisted and turned.
If I mention Porsche, someone says RUF.
If I mention being called dishonest, it is denied by the very person who hinted it.
It is complete foolishness to use a 2 uH output coil, of any kind and design, unless you are interested in applying more negative feedback. We discussed this at some length, years ago. I have DELIBERATELY removed the output coil from my most recent designs for the last 20 years. It is not an ACCIDENT! However, I was not first to do so, as I recall, Nelson Pass did it long before me, and I suspect for the same reason.
Anatech, you really don't know modern audio design. I'm sorry, but you just don't know what I do, why I do it, or why it tends to get good reviews at even a relatively low price point/performance ratio. Please don't 'guess' what I think or why I do what I do. You are clueless. I think that it is because of your lack of an academic background in engineering. Just my opinion, of course.

So far as I am told, Jack Bybee's Bentley has more HP than a Kleeman. That's the car that we like to drive around in.
Jack's Mercedes is pretty comfortable, but it is chipped to limit at 155 mph, and that is about all we want to do around here. I guess that's why he went out and got the Bentley.
It is difficult to modify cars these days in California. It is against the law, and people get caught and fined.
Again: What I was TRYING to say is that a NOVICE should not try to modify a Porsche or a Mercedes, and I stand by my statement.
Can't anyone here actually understand what I put on paper, without flying off in some new direction?

So far as I am told, Jack Bybee's Bentley has more HP than a Kleeman. That's the car that we like to drive around in.
Jack's Mercedes is pretty comfortable, but it is chipped to limit at 155 mph, and that is about all we want to do around here. I guess that's why he went out and got the Bentley.
It is difficult to modify cars these days in California. It is against the law, and people get caught and fined.
Again: What I was TRYING to say is that a NOVICE should not try to modify a Porsche or a Mercedes, and I stand by my statement.
Can't anyone here actually understand what I put on paper, without flying off in some new direction?

OK, I was just about to let you off the hook, but you just keep stepping in it.
650bhp, no, the Bentley does not push that much.

Even if it did, the brakes on the Bentley are toy brakes, not to be compared with the brakes of the Kleemann

Magura :)

What? :eek:

May be you were TRYING to say it in some different reality, but here on Forum you stated that I don't understand what NO COMPROMISE means, and called some Chech car a compromised one, while Porshe in your definition is a NO COMPROMISE car. Now, you are trying to make some muddy smoke so people won't see your confuse... ;)

It looks like a great reference and an excellent read on a very important aspect of class D amplifiers. When and where was it published?

With title changed, in AES Proceedings. Certainly, the Halcro crowd is in a different league than our local "high end designers".

Authors: Candy, Bruce H.; Cox, Stephen M.
Affiliations: Halcro, Torrensville, Australia ; Applied Mathematics, School of Mathematical Sciences, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia

AES Convention:117 (October 2004) Paper Number:6260

OK, I was just about to let you off the hook, but you just keep stepping in it.
650bhp, no, the Bentley does not push that much.

Even if it did, the brakes on the Bentley are toy brakes, not to be compared with the brakes of the Kleemann

And no one has even mentioned the power to weight ratio differences, the amount of built-in suspension compliance in the case of the Bentley, the steering ratio differences, etc. The Bentley may well be a high speed tourer - in the old sense and when in capable hands or - more likely - a status symbol city crawler , but the German cars mentioned are true leading edge faaasssst cars WITH ability to stay on the road by going where they are pointed way after the Bentley has tipped over a few times or run into a wall.;)

The Audio parallels are obvious and none of use would accept the equally obvious compromises if applied to high-end audio.:spin:

It is complete foolishness to use a 2 uH output coil, of any kind and design, unless you are interested in applying more negative feedback.

John,

Since my favorite icon was removed from the smilies set, this is going to be a longer phrase. If this one doesn't do for you, I can rephrase:

You don't have the foggiest idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Wavebourn, have you ever heard of a Skoda Estelle, or do I have the wrong auto name? Weren't some Skoda 2 stroke models, at least being driven in E-Germany before the wall went down? These are what I was referring to, and maybe an entry model Volkswagon in recent years.

I know nothing about Skoda and it's history, John. But I know well that "No Compromise" is a marketing slogan that has nothing common with design process, that is speaking your language, is always an "equilibrium of compromises".

And no one has even mentioned the power to weight ratio differences, the amount of built-in suspension compliance in the case of the Bentley, the steering ratio differences, etc. The Bentley may well be a high speed tourer - in the old sense and when in capable hands or - more likely - a status symbol city crawler , but the German cars mentioned are true leading edge faaasssst cars WITH ability to stay on the road by going where they are pointed way after the Bentley has tipped over a few times or run into a wall.;)

The Audio parallels are obvious and none of use would accept the equally obvious compromises if applied to high-end audio.:spin:

Well, this particular Kleemann has the world speed record for sedans, but counting out that little detail, you're 100% right.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
Good lord, you sure like to put everyone down, don't you?

I have DELIBERATELY removed the output coil from my most recent designs for the last 20 years. It is not an ACCIDENT!
John, reread my post please. Guess what? I said that you did not use an output choke on your designs. Should you ever build a power amp that has a more popular design type, you had better use that darn choke. If you don't, it'll probably fail. You should know why.

So, why are you trying to make it seem I was attacking you, or why I don't understand why you don't use an output choke? You know what Johnny boy? I have built zero global negative feedback amplifiers that did not require the output choke. I understand perfectly well why you don't use one. I also understand the sonic hit it may present to have the choke.

You really are an ignorant person John. It's time you accept that others around you are more knowledgeable than you give them credit for. I have surprises in my career and life experiences, as most other people also have around here. Loosen up. Remember, It's only audio for crying out loud!

Go drink some wine John, ruminate on what each person may know or have experienced. It's very sad, the way you look at your fellow man / woman. Me? I'm happy with myself.

-Chris :)

Guys, you know more about performance machines today, than I do, but Jack has one of the most powerful Bentleys ever, so far as I am told, more than the typical spec. BUT you are right, it is HEAVY. He is now looking at an Aston Martin that goes for about $2 mil or so. I doubt that his wife will let him go that far. Personally, I am fairly happy with my 944, with my bad eye, and everything. Still, I have never tried to hop up this model, except a better air cleaner (probably a waste of money) and exotic spark plugs, because it is so difficult to do. I did do plenty with the 924, up to its limits, of course, and it did run better. In Calif. because of smog, we are very much restricted in auto modification. Our roads are fairly slow, as well. 80mph is over the limit almost everywhere, and we are subject to a fine. Over 100mph, maybe jail. It is sort of pointless to try too hard, unless we have lots of money, and little else to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.