John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
How could we ? I was reading this ... Luxman M-800A power amplifier Page 2 | Stereophile.com
(for laughs and giggles) , and just could not get over the overuse of verbs to describe a single inanimate piece of audio gear. You would think the amp is "alive" !! Of course I pilfered this amp's schema to see what (if any) "groundbreaking" examples of engineering might bring a reviewer into such ecstasy.
As far as recognition , I recognize that the above reviewer was most likely paid and or was given a free amp to blather so proficiently. I bet he does not even talk or describe his girl/ wife in such a manner $$$$$.

" warm, velvety side of the great sonic divide"... OMG !!! :eek: :D

Well we all know that's marketing speak and only very few naive people would consider this seriously.

What I am getting sick of is again and again being labeled with things I (and almost everybody here) has never said. "Measurements say it all" just made-up horse manure, nobody ever said this. "Refuse to recognise the subjective factors in audio"- hell, audio itself is subjective, how can you refuse that?

OK, you can make a mistake and misread something once, mabe even three times. After that, it becomes just dishonest delibered lying to turn the facts for your own purpose. I hate that.

jan didden

Interestingly. Have you ever met "people who refuse to recognize the subjective aspects of audio"? Have you ever met people that "are locked in their beliefs that measurements alone can tell all there is to know about audio gear"?
Is this something else you make up?

You know, it has been explained to you so often that these types of people only exist in your imagination, that I wonder why you continue to come up with it again and again?

jan didden

There are many of those people participating in this thread.
Sometimes I wonder how some people can be so blind.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There are many of those people participating in this thread.
Sometimes I wonder how some people can be so blind.

No they are not. Just give me one quote where someone says: "measurements say it all" or "I refuse to accept the subjective nature of audio". Not the same words required; just someone who displays that opinion.
Show me that it is me who is blind.

jan didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Do you actually know for a fact that in this specific case it was marketing and not a genuine subjective impression?

Blind people confuse their assumption with facts.

Oh, I readily accept that it may be a genuinely subjective impression. That's the issue: it' *only* is a subjective impression. An impression where no attemp has been made to control some of the misleading variables, which makes the impressions pretty irrelevant for the actual audible performance.

jan didden

Last edited:
I would like to make an editorial comment about the direction(s) that audio is heading:

I think that the quality audio that I have known and loved for the last 45 years, is splitting into 2 separate directions of 'development'. These are: good sound, mostly, and good looks, mostly.
Looking at the pictures of the Munich Audio event in May, shows me absolutely beautiful displays, rows of turntables with shining chrome and clear plastic, huge loudspeaker arrays, and external finishes 'to die for'. BUT what is 'under the hood'? Are each and every one of these designs built with the highest audio quality, or is it just an 'ego statement' of a well to do, audio producer? I wasn't there, so I cannot say, BUT the amount of treasure invested in the LOOK of the designs seems out of balance, to me.
On the other side, there are people, both amateur and professional who are still trying their best to give the best sound possible, with a healthy nod to an attractive case, to overcome the WAF, at the very least. However, these people are attacked by many, even on this website, as being foolish 'subjectivists', who actually trust their ears, when 'everybody with a scientific bent' KNOWS that the ear can barely tell the difference between anything and can be easily fooled, as is often shown in scientific tests.
These people don't seem to easily talk to each other, even here.
I attribute this to the takeover of the AES by the 'objectivists' back in about 1980, forbidding publication of many 'advanced' concepts, that may have kept us on track in audio design, and continue maintaining an environment where the 'obs' like Dr's Lipshitz and Doi, could interact with 'subs' like Doug Sax, or me, for example.
This 'objectivity' has taken over a major segment of discussion, yet can we not just LISTEN and decide for ourselves? I don't mean just 'personally' fawning over our latest construction project, like a proud papa, but with the help of others in the industry, as well, to further instruct us as to what we did 'well' and what is lacking. This, coupled by more advanced measurement techniques, looking for what we have overlooked, would get us to make better products AT ANY PRICE POINT, because we could learn what to AVOID, as well as what to improve.
This separation in audio today, puts one group in the purely subjective, throw money at it, camp, that is sometimes very successful, but mostly so so, and the purely objective, if I can't measure it, AND its distortion is not more than Dr. Lipshitz thinks is important, then everybody who finds it lacking is just being foolish.
What good it that?
In has been my experience that there are differences in audio components that are not always easily measured. Without listening, unfettered, to these audio components, making direct comparisons to other designs, both old and new, leaves virtually no direction to go in audio design. Yet, I still hear the differences, almost as easily as when I first started 45 years ago. There is still lots to do.

John,

You are a shining example of one in audio who has a very solid appreciation and ability for both measurements and listening. For that I applaud you. However, it is unbelievable that you don't realize that there are many others out there who maintain a similar respect for both measurements and listening, I among them. Don't you realize that most of us can walk and chew gum at the same time?

As I have said before, your characterizarion of the AES publication process is complete nonsense. I was there. I was and am a reviewer. Good stuff was given a very wide berth, and that goes for Matti as well. He was his own worst enemy in getting published.

Cheers,
Bob

Oh, I readily accept that it may be a genuinely subjective impression. That's the issue: it' *only* is a subjective impression. An impression where no attemp has been made to control some of the misleading variables, which makes the impressions pretty irrelevant for the actual audible performance.

jan didden

This is in the assumption that without controlled blind tests an experienced audiophile cannot know that he actually hears what he hears. Experienced audiophiles do now how to eliminate all the variables that aren't the actual and genuine audible experience.

Anyhow, you declared outright that the quoted impression was a marketing.
My point is that you probably don't have any factual ground to make such a statement.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip] Experienced audiophiles do now how to eliminate all the variables that aren't the actual and genuine audible experience.
[snip][

No they can't. This has been shown again and again. This is where we certainly disagree.
It's not just audiophiles. It's a basic human condition. Since you have stated that you are not interested in it anyhow, I don't think you are in a position to comment on it.

jan didden

Joshua, you know well the problem.
The 'problem' is that when we subjective audiophiles have a listening test, we don't protect ourselves from some sort of 'error' that MIGHT make us prefer one component over another. Instead, we are SUPPOSED to do it the way the Dr. Lipshitz, et al advised more than 30 years ago, to use a randomly controlled switchbox, and a significant amount of trials so that a 95 confidence result is obtained. Anything less is ignored.
Yes, ignored, by Dr. Lipshitz, himself, and everybody who follows him. Yet, the audio differences still exist, and serious audio designers can build on these 'differences' to build a better future audio product. You know, avoid some things, and use others. Try a different block diagram or topology, Use lots of feedback or no feedback, etc. Many people here do not appear to have as much audio design EXPERIENCE as several professional designers who contribute here, do, yet we professional designers are accused of saying all kinds of things that are not our personal experience. If, your personal belief is that we are 'wrong' in some way, so be it, but why do you participate on THIS thread then?

Last edited:
[snip] Experienced audiophiles do now how to eliminate all the variables that aren't the actual and genuine audible experience.
[snip]QUOTE]

No they can't. This has been shown again and again. This is where we certainly disagree.
It's not just audiophiles. It's a basic human condition. Since you have stated that you are not interested in it anyhow, I don't think you are in a position to comment on it.

jan didden

If you are interested in the facts I can narrate how by making various changes to my system I hear audible changes, some times for better, some time for worse, and sometimes mixed results. Very often the audible changes I hear are opposed to my expectations beforehand.

However I doubt if you are actually interested in the facts of this issue.

Experienced audiophiles do now how to eliminate all the variables that aren't the actual and genuine audible experience.

Yes, they use two primary techniques for this. Vanity and ego.

Of course the side effect is that it makes them too vain and egotistical to recognize that vanity and ego do not eliminate all the variables that aren't the actual and genuine audible effect.

They truly believe themselves to be superhuman, immune to weaknesses of the rest of the mere mortals around them.

However ultimately they are nothing more than the emperor parading naked before his subjects, showing off his fine new clothes.

se

Joshua, you know well the problem.
The 'problem' is that when we subjective audiophiles have a listening test, we don't protect ourselves from some sort of 'error' that MIGHT make us prefer one component over another. Instead, we are SUPPOSED to do it the way the Dr. Lipshitz, et al advised more than 30 years ago, to use a randomly controlled switchbox, and a significant amount of trials so that a 95 confidence result is obtained. Anything less is ignored.
Yes, ignored, by Dr. Lipshitz, himself, and everybody who follows him. Yet, the audio differences still exist, and serious audio designers can build on these 'differences' to build a better future audio product. You know, avoid some things, and use others. Try a different block diagram or topology, Use lots of feedback or no feedback, etc. Many people here do not appear to have as much audio design EXPERIENCE as several professional designers who contribute here, do, yet we professional designers are accused of saying all kinds of things that are not our personal experience. If, your personal belief is that we are 'wrong' in some way, so be it, but why do you participate on THIS thread then?

Johan,
It's very simple.
When someone, anyone, tells that I don't actually hear what I hear, that the audible qualities I hear aren't real ones – without him knowing how I discern audible changes – that person, or those people are blinded by their beliefs. I'm not a designer, I'm barely an amateur hobbyist, yet, I know that I hear what I hear and I don't need others' approval to know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.