John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
can the new processes keep the 1/f corner down - assuming anyone wanted to "spend" enough area on the input Q to try to match your 797 or 743 designs?

That is a managable problem (the details would escape most here). One of the issues is double epi and engineering in the low noise in the first place. These processes were optimized for speed (in hindsight, blindly), TI gave a paper at this ISSCC on an SOI JFET amp with 8nV at 10Hz. We are on it (I am just a vociferous fly on the wall for this project), keep tuned. The geometries have shrunk to the point that the area is not an issue. The 743/45 was a big risk experiment, the fact that GE ran a whole generation of CAT scanners based on it, saved it. I'm not sure if I could get away with a sub 3nV FET amp in this market again.

Darn, can't even engineer something without people putting out lies and mis-information, such as low Z driving an LED. '-) This doesn't work folks.

Well, suggesting charging a capacitor with one of these doesn't inspire much confidence. :p

Lg_Photocell.jpg

se

Moving on, I hope, to a more appropriate input.
I would like to talk, once more, about 2 stage phono design vs single or 1 stage phono design.
We have discussed the 1 stage phono design in some detail, some months ago. It can be made very cheaply, and was the design standard from many decades. Marantz, Mac, and Dyna phono stages in the '50's and the '60's, used this approach. Later, the Audio Research and the Mark Levinson JC-2 also used this approach, in the 1970's.
However, by 1980, many other phono designers started to use 2 stage design. This included: Electrocompaniet, the JC-80, Vendetta Research, and certainly many others.
In most cases, the 2 stage approach, whether made with vacuum tubes, solid state discrete, or IC's, tend to sound better, all else being equal.
You will find a tube design here, on this website, by SY, an excellent example of this design technique. Perhaps if you reviewed his preamp and the write-up around it, you would gather most of what you need to know about the 2 stage approach. (More later, if possible.)

Status
Not open for further replies.