John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
No the laser branding appears on real parts (it can't be removed easily). ...
On a Toshiba TO92 jfets Scott? Are you 100% sure about this?

That is really new info for me, at least the J74, J103, J107, J109, K30A, K68A, K170, K246, K366 nor K389, part I have had are not laser marked. at least those from reputable dealers in Indonesia. I am sorry if I made a mistake, but I simply have never seen any original Toshiba TO92 jfets with laser marking.

Do you or anybody else have photo of laser marked original Toshiba TO92 jfets that can be shared for me and others to see and compare before deciding on a purchase?

On a Toshiba TO92 jfets Scott? Are you 100% sure about this?

That is really new info for me, at least the J74, J103, J107, J109, K30A, K68A, K170, K246, K366 nor K389, part I have had are not laser marked. at least those from reputable dealers in Indonesia. I am sorry if I made a mistake, but I simply have never seen any original Toshiba TO92 jfets with laser marking.

Do you or anybody else have photo of laser marked original Toshiba TO92 jfets that can be shared for me and others to see and compare before deciding on a purchase?

I've decapped them and posted a photo here. As I said measure them there are no substitutes to use as fakes for k170 and j74 that have the same beta parameter. There especially are no P channel ones or anyone with a comparable process until Linear Systems tried.

I've decapped them and posted a photo here. As I said measure them there are no substitutes to use as fakes for k170 and j74 that have the same beta parameter. There especially are no P channel ones or anyone with a comparable process until Linear Systems tried.
Yes Scott, I remember reading your post with internal photo of the K170. But I found the fakes they sell nowadays are rubbish. I had several BL J74 with 2.1-2.6 mA Idss at Vp ~ -2V and other odd parameters. Other members in Pass forum also have similar experience. So we advice to purchase the K170 and J74 only from known good sources, the Linear System's from Diyaudio store, member LiubinCalvin, Spencer and Alweit.

I advice to simply avoid parts clear enough in my view to be fakes because parts purchase for testing will still pour good money that will encourage growth of the fake industry. I can only give advice to purchase for testing when the parts look genuine enough.

Last edited:
'pop' music is for 14-25 year olds. I have children in that group and they love it. This possibly says more about the yoof of today than the music. (cue bring back national service/beatings/cold showers/polio/riots etc)

When I was 25 (or 26), I met a man who was a classical music programmer for a local classic music FM radio station. His entire life was classical music and he knew it well. I invited him around to listen to my sound system (KEF Bailey T-Lines with Radford crossovers, Marantz 500 power amp, modified Dynaco PAS3X preamp, Ariston RD11/Infinity Black Widow/Supex 900. We played some of his favourite music, so he could gain a feel for my system. Then I played Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

His response: "Wow! That's classical music with a modern twist. I love it."

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
EUVL, that is a perceptive question. The basic topology that I originally first developed is practical for both inverting or non-inverting input application. However, without cascodes on the input devices, the inverting input will be somewhat more linear. Still, it is much more inconvenient to use an inverting input, because of low input impedance or the noise addition from an added input resistor that I mostly use non-inverting inputs on the vast majority of my designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.