John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
THx-- high quality -- too low voltage and current for PA.
:)
Mr Agitator.... good if it gets people thinking again.
:)

As already said by ticknpop (Mr. Agitator please read the replies to your agitations), series and parallel connection of the floating outputs can provide a good selection from a combination of DC voltages and huge current capabilities (plus there are modules up to 1500W each).
MEAN WELL Switching Power Supply Manufacturer

George

Attachments

• meanw1.PNG
    meanw1.PNG
    110.5 KB · Views: 208
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes - lower Z caps at Fo=100KHz would be better... however there is a noise spec. I'll try a spectrum analyzer test on it and see what is there.

Measuring Output Ripple and Switching Transients in Switching Regulators

http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/AN-1144.pdf

and active PFC which is maintained by the switcher controller itself.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/HBD853-D.PDF

George

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
IIRC, the M2 stock amp DSP includes some flattening EQ, not just cross-over EQ and delay. EQ settings are in the amplifier configuration file for the M2.

I am sure they did a really nice x-over job of getting a flat response, GD, phase, etal at 1 Meter test in echo free chamber.

Shown is the same speaker(s) but no EQ for room corrections..... you know, peaks and dips/nulls from reflections etc etc of the room.

Which points out the benefit of more narrow dispersion and CD (constant Directivity)

-RNM

Last edited:
No room corrections, but yes to some speaker frequency response corrections.

That's okay, of course. Nice product, although a little slow to find its way into mixing and mastering rooms.

Have to wonder if the amp with it's built-in DAC is fully satisfactory to some customers.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
As already said by ticknpop (Mr. Agitator please read the replies to your agitations), series and parallel connection of the floating outputs can provide a good selection from a combination of DC voltages and huge current capabilities (plus there are modules up to 1500W each).
MEAN WELL Switching Power Supply Manufacturer

George

OK OK. The total price is going to be scary; I am afraid to look.

-RNM

Room modes are there always, regardless CD.

I can think of some exceptions! ;)

Personally I think there is a chance all JBL may become classic unobtanium.

Currently looking at a project 2 years down the road with a minimum design life of 8 years. Crown now in Mexico has an issue with not enough capacity to rework units that fail final QC. So parts in to devices out yield is way wrong, leading to shortages.

New structure is Crown folks relocated to Texas, specify the design, an engineering group in China designs it for manufacture in Mexico. What could go wrong?

Jbl fired 3/4 of their engineers. A great boost in productivity no doubt.

Would anyone bet on the on time delivery and reliability of their products?

I did order a replacement diaphragm in February, got delivered in October.

Worse yet the specified product is one I had a bit if design input to it.

...Personally I think there is a chance all JBL may become classic unobtanium.

Currently looking at a project 2 years down the road with a minimum design life of 8 years. Crown now in Mexico has an issue with not enough capacity to rework units that fail final QC. So parts in to devices out yield is way wrong, leading to shortages.

New structure is Crown folks relocated to Texas, specify the design, an engineering group in China designs it for manufacture in Mexico. What could go wrong?

Dang, Simon, that ain't exactly a list of fun facts.

I didn't realize there was that much stuff failing final QC these days, percentage-wise.

Dear Colleagues,
I was told that people were very polite on Anglo-saxon forums, not aggressive, respecting others. In a word, well educated. ... One more fairy tail ?
And all this about what ?... Audio-electronic ! Oh, Lord !

I joined this forum in the hope to learn one or two things on a subject that passionate-me all my life, rest me from my studies on rocket science and share the little I know with gentlemen in a friendly atmosphere.

I don't think I will stay long.

Have a good day.
Tryphon Tournesol.

There are other threads.

Crown now in Mexico has an issue with not enough capacity to rework units that fail final QC. So parts in to devices out yield is way wrong, leading to shortages.

QC is in China.
Jbl fired 3/4 of their engineers.
No, professional division (BSS, dbx, Lexicon, DigiTech). No profit in two years. You may start search for another vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.