John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having had the opportunity to directly compare a DAC-1 and a DAC-3, I would say the DAC-3 sounds a little different, and it is slightly more detailed than the DAC-1.

They were compared mostly by playing some hi-res recorded music and listening for tiny amounts of distortion in the recording. For that type of activity, I prefer the DAC-3 a little bit over the DAC-1. However, for most purposes the DAC-1 was fine, no complaints. Both units are what DACs should be IMHO, which is transparent as possible.

The headphone amp in the DAC-3 is definitely somewhat better than DAC-1, although DAC-1 wasn't bad.

Also, both units use volume pots, not electronic volume control. That mean the pots can get noisy over time and need to be replaced.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
As you said Bill.
An interesting admission from the reviewer. Kudos to Mr. Austin
(only he means reconstruction filter in a DAC when he writes antialias filter )
And the multiple playback-recording loop he mentions is an excellent evaluation method (and it is sighted, ears only :D )

George

Multiple playback-recording loop testing requires a good ADC, and separating out it's effects from that of the DAC would require some more work.

In addition, the test also is affected by the distortion perception threshold of the person doing the testing. Maybe some more work to identify the magnitude of that effect, if any interest in finding out.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Having had the opportunity to directly compare a DAC-1 and a DAC-3, I would say the DAC-3 sounds a little different, and it is slightly more detailed than the DAC-1.

They were compared mostly by playing some hi-res recorded music and listening for tiny amounts of distortion in the recording. For that type of activity, I prefer the DAC-3 a little bit over the DAC-1. However, for most purposes the DAC-1 was fine, no complaints. Both units are what DACs should be IMHO, which is transparent as possible.

The headphone amp in the DAC-3 is definitely somewhat better than DAC-1, although DAC-1 wasn't bad.

Also, both units use volume pots, not electronic volume control. That mean the pots can get noisy over time and need to be replaced.

I have owned each DAC and ADC made by BenchMark and also have access to their power amp. I have the PA at factory listening room to compare with new PA and the Parasound.

The DAC 3 is best yet. hard to imagine much better. So, for now I am done looking for DAC. Didn't care so much for PA.... maybe SR is too low... sounded hard/edgy.

THx-RNMarsh

DAC1 only gets class D "Entry Level" here.

REFERENCE COMPONENTS-DIGITAL SOURCES
With statements like this, it doesn't really surprise me...
IMPORTANT ADVICE: Never turn off any* digital equipment. It usually takes around 2 days of playing for it to "break in" and sound optimum. Once turned off, you have to go through the entire cycle all over again.
But, that might be more relevant in another thread.

I wouldn't be too hasty, he puts up a lot of the usual red flags but I find his stuff quite interesting and would love a couple of evenings with him and his posse. For one thing, while his musical tastes include some interesting items, I have two of his "divinity" LP's in which I find little to like other than the reproduction. At some level he has the most extreme case of separation of content from reproduction that I have ever seen and I would love to find out more.

DAC1 only gets class D "Entry Level" here.

REFERENCE COMPONENTS-DIGITAL SOURCES

Says it was tested by three associates, not him, and in combination with the Benchmark preamp.

What I don't get is how people can compare DACs using only CDs.

CDs might sound slightly better to some people with less than perfectly clean reproduction all the way down to the LSB. Don't know.

Maybe a little pleasant analog noise down at the level of bits 15 and 16 to obscure the digital noise a little, that is to say, the dither and any leftover quantizing noise, down around that level?

Maybe a tiny bit of second and third harmonics to make CDs sound a little more full, yet detailed?

Agreed it would be interesting to listen to what it is they prefer and find out what it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.