John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Destroyer OS,
Simple fact is that it's all complex, and immunity is hard to get without 100% shielding - and that isn't perfect.
Yes, and when you involve different designers, I strongly doubt you will achieve that perfection in shielding.

Really good test gear is encased in a double shield. The outer one goes to safety ground. The inner one is the system ground. So there is a start for you. Some audio equipment does follow this convention for low level signals. Example, the Marantz SC-9 / 3650 for the MC stage. It has its own little shielded environment. I'm pretty certain that other makes and models also follow this practice.

-Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
depends on a lot of factors... one time or 6 times or 12 times a year... discounts.... then location... front inside cover or back. full page or partials... color or B&W, small B&W in the back pages is lowest, etc.

Note: MARSH and logo are reg brand name in Asia.

-RM

Last edited:
I figured they got it from a 1950s Popular Mechanics article...

A/C can be pretty nasty and be considered normal, kind of like water.
I tried a ham radio trick, a small filament-type bulb close to the device, actually helped to greatly reduce a low level noise when my laptop is charging or consuming more power.

Seems like most everything I have tried just begins to remove the top layer (of any serious noise issue).

Well he did say

So somewhat to the point. Still a shame when people go and we've lost a few over the last 12 months.

Obviously jan.didden misunderstood Bonsai´s post (Nice example of confirmation bias at work......); imo he didn´t quit due to "semi-guru-bsing" or "snake oil peddlers" but due to the reaction of some people to Waly´s sin bin time, as he was in the past often the target of that sad mobbing approach by Waly.

Nice example of confirmation bias at work......

Last edited:
Hi Demian,
Leakage current from the transformer and any other parts connected to the AC line.

As for test equipment, I've never listened to one. However, leakage currents and anything else that could cause trouble is lower than the audio equipment. If it wasn't, your noise floor would be a great deal higher.

When you mix different equipment they probably have treated the safety ground and common differently between them. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean the power connections are done correctly for the lowest noise and interaction. I think this would explain your observations.

-Chris

From my experience i agree with 1audio´s post. Even in a simple/basic system with just a signal source (let´s assume a cd-player/digital device) preamplifier and amplifier and all units have a connection (somehow :) ) between audio ground and PE and are connected via rca interconnects, then there are quite extended loop areas possible. I think 1audio mentioned it already, it is usually a really good advice to connect all devices at one point to the mains/protective earth.

Simon7000´s advice is well worth the attention, coupling of mains noise can be reduced in that way; even better might be to consider some shield windings.

Of course it could be a matter of definition to say any equipment is only then competently designed if a power cord change does not make an audible difference (any place of the world), but i´d assume that the number of competently designed equipment is much smaller than expected..... :)

(Btw, i´ve seen a lot of tweaking in measurement labs doing compliance certification despite their use of equipment from the majors costing more than a fortune)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Scott,
I only have two pieces of Tek equipment. The rest is HP / Agilent / Keysight, and it's all a fair bit better built than the Tek is. My oldest usable piece of gear is an ancient HP 1722A oscilloscope. Its actually a very good scope even today and it hails from about 1974.

Depending on the lab, they might go through hell trying to reduce noise. I don't see lifting the safety ground as being allowed in the labs I've worked in. But I guess if you're chasing really low noise levels, anything that works will be done.

-Chris

From my experience i agree with 1audio´s post. Even in a simple/basic system with just a signal source (let´s assume a cd-player/digital device) preamplifier and amplifier and all units have a connection (somehow :) ) between audio ground and PE and are connected via rca interconnects, then there are quite extended loop areas possible. I think 1audio mentioned it already, it is usually a really good advice to connect all devices at one point to the mains/protective earth.

Unless you use Schurter DENO's, then there is no loop.

Depending on the lab, they might go through hell trying to reduce noise. I don't see lifting the safety ground as being allowed in the labs I've worked in. But I guess if you're chasing really low noise levels, anything that works will be done.

We went too far when we asked the electricians to stop alternating the phases of the 220 from bench to bench because someone brought in an old piece of hot chassis gear and the obvious happened.

I don't understand why members want their account disabled when they leave. All they have to do is ... not post. I'm sorry he left as well and haven't a clue what pushed him to do that.

I think the VFA/CFA thing got way out of hand (again) and frankly on some technical points Waly was right and some others here were in fact wrong. I was made aware later that Waly might have had some offending posts removed so I am sorry, I only wanted to defend what I thought were valid technical points.

Honestly for years I've seen posts on this debate that literally make smoke come out of my ears.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Scott,
Me too (smoke coming out of ears). What can you do? Sometimes you have to just let it slide. Sometimes the true meaning of a post comes out later and its best to see where things go.

We went too far when we asked the electricians to stop alternating the phases of the 220 from bench to bench because someone brought in an old piece of hot chassis gear and the obvious happened.
I can see why. I generally try to run separate circuits on the same phase with the lights on the other phase (along with the lunch room and small warehouse). The leakage currents with recent equipment would be enough to disturb low noise measurements. It also helps to have the lab frequency references running on transformer coupled outputs. That means no HP 5087A distribution amps allowed! I wonder if they fixed that with the 5087B?

I use an HP 5087A on my bench. Know of any isolated ones that need a home? :)

-Chris

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi FdW,

That is entirely up to him.

I don't understand why members want their account disabled when they leave. All they have to do is ... not post. I'm sorry he left as well and haven't a clue what pushed him to do that.

-Chris

Obviously asking to disable your account makes a statement.

I have it on good authority that eventually, Mr. B *could* be back...

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.