John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Benchmark 2 (which I own) handles the DSD also. So all I need to do is buy good DSD music sources and play them and enjoy. The rest of you are out of luck unless you get into modifying stock DSD players.

Interesting conclusion. You guys are supposed to know some of this stuff. SONY took an ill conceived stance on freezing technology at the original 1 bit sigma-delta level and archiving the output of the A/D's modulator directly. Technology moved on and SONY was left with a dead format.

You can filter the DSD via a digital filter and decimate back to PCM or (what the original question was) filter it directly in analog. I think the thread mentioned has gone to a combination of digital and analog. I doubt Benchmark has done any more than accommodate the format and I seriously doubt they are doing it with nothing but an analog filter. This is akin to the NOS DAC movement. If someone has a stock DSD player they can play DSD, I don't know what they are unlucky to not have.

John, the frustrating this is that (at least for me, and it seems commonly shared) I have absolutely no idea what RNM is asking for. It's a wildly nebulous directive laced with condescending that (a huge number of, well, overachievers by even engineer standards) are disinterested in doing better. Much in the same way I have absolutely no idea what Robert/Dan/you are talking about when you're describing "transparency" or "dynamics". We're separated by a common language.

Not the best tactic to throw it back, but there's only so much "what do you mean?" you can do.

Interesting conclusion. You guys are supposed to know some of this stuff. SONY took an ill conceived stance on freezing technology at the original 1 bit sigma-delta level and archiving the output of the A/D's modulator directly. Technology moved on and SONY was left with a dead format.

You can filter the DSD via a digital filter and decimate back to PCM or (what the original question was) filter it directly in analog. I think the thread mentioned has gone to a combination of digital and analog. I doubt Benchmark has done any more than accommodate the format and I seriously doubt they are doing it with nothing but an analog filter. This is akin to the NOS DAC movement. If someone has a stock DSD player they can play DSD, I don't know what they are unlucky to not have.

Exactly. The Benchmark uses the ESS ES9018 DAC which internally converts everything to a multi-bit format anyway.

There is at least one product that filters the DSD directly:

DSD DAC

It's probably just as good as the rest of his (poor) products.

I have absolutely no idea what Robert/Dan/you are talking about when you're describing "transparency"
or "dynamics". We're separated by a common language.

JGH's glossary, first seen in the 60s. Sounds Like? An Audio Glossary | Stereophile.com
This was adapted and extended from the 1954 Radiotron Designers Handbook (see p. 604). https://ia801607.us.archive.org/6/i...4958503/Radiotron_Designers_Handbook_1954.pdf
Vivid has been in pretty common usage in both music and audio for many years, for example:
Rega Planar 3 turntable, Michael Fremer
"which tracked well at 1.75 grams, offered high output, vivid tonal balance, and
good extension top and bottom."

Last edited:
You guys are really judgemental. More than Richard or me. Keep an open mind!
Try to see the good from someones input.

It's part of human nature that we all see other peoples faults clearly and tend to view ourselves in the best possible light. So, it always seems like the other guy is more judgmental sounding, not me! If other people are telling you that you are doing too much of it, then you probably are, despite how it may seem to you.

Now, there is one moderator who you might be thinking of. Judgmental, yes. Doesn't mean you should be, or that it's okay just so long as you aren't the worst one. It isn't.

And it isn't necessary or helpful. It doesn't change other people for the better as you might hope. It just makes them want to hit back.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Exactly. The Benchmark uses the ESS ES9018 DAC which internally converts everything to a multi-bit format anyway.

There is at least one product that filters the DSD directly:

DSD DAC

It's probably just as good as the rest of his (poor) products.

This is also "real DSD" internally Playback Designs | the finest audio playback in the world Andreas at Playback Desings was on the original SACD team. The DAC is pretty good.

DSD is normally filtered at 50 KHz with a 5? pole filter, even if its 4X. The DSD files are also ginormous.

After you strip away the BS, PCM today is encoded and decoded with a delta sigma converter, usually 3-6 bit modulator, but fundamentally the same as "pure DSD". I think the reality is that PCM is a container as much as FLAC is a container. The best DACs work the same internally for both. However a 192KHz file has twice the audio bandwidth of a DSD file. One story is that DSD has a lower noise floor/greater dynamics than PCM. It has not been proven in my measurements.

After you strip away the BS, PCM today is encoded and decoded with a delta sigma converter, usually 3-6 bit modulator, but fundamentally the same as "pure DSD".

Not sure I would totally agree with that a DSD source file is from a 1 bit modulator and the performance difference with respect to a 6 bit one or multiple 6 bit ones is mathematically quantifiable. There is no way to make the performance the same. As you said the measurements don't show it. The decimated 24 bit PCM intermediate data from a 1 bit D/S and say an ESS one is not the same, or why bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.